Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have a problem in that my gtv is stored a good 40 minutes drive from me and as a result of that, work on it requires planning and time is precious.

I have a replacement radiator sat here but am still waiting on the coolant hoses from autolusso (special order for cf3). In the meantime I thought I would drain the remnants of the cooling system (has a leak, hence replacing original rad and pipes) and remove the old radiator and pipes.

Can any harm be done by leaving the car stood in a garage minus radiator and hoses for a week or two?
Sorry if that sounds like an odd question. I'd like to get the old parts out, so that as soon as I have all the new parts, the job might be that much quicker... but I don't want to do any harm.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It shouldn't come to any harm. Only thing I'd do is stuff the open ends of pipes/hoses with a bit of kitchen towel to try and stop anything building a nest in there!

Also, ensure the aircon condenser is well supported - don't place any stress on the aircon pipes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm sure someone will explain that corrosion will be an issue once the damp parts are exposed to the air, but i think most people on here would not think twice about fitting a used engine that has sat sans coolant for an unknown length of time so I'd just do it. It may be advisible to bung up any holes to prevent little beasties getting in though.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks, was planning on cling filming the outlets/inlets. Just means I can get it stripped and have a good clean up under there ready to put the new bits on, when I have them.

Might be an opportunity to remove and refinish some other parts, whilst it is apart too.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I don't see any problem doing that. Not even sure (apart from mouses getting in) I'd bother blocking up outlets.
If it was in my dry and warm mouse free :D garage at home I certainly would not bother.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dry but drafty garage, home to rather a lot of spiders I'm afraid - not the four wheeled variety unfortunately.

Thanks for help. Soon, I hope I shall be back on the road....

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still waiting on the replacement hoses at the moment.
Actually, I started the car up the other day as having refilled the coolant, it stopped leaking (I had lost 2 litres or so previously). Left car idling for 5-10 mins, it got up to temperature, fans kicked in & off, all working fine and no leaking to be seen.
Still not happy to drive it until radiator and hoses have been replaced

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every Alfa is haunted by Nuvolari's ghost and he fixes things that are broken now and again..

Nothing to worry about... :D

Ralf S.
I'm afraid I still have the "fear" with my Alfas, which I should really get over - waiting for something to happen.
Still, one day I will get the Gtv to where I want it to be, mechanically speaking, which is better than the day she rolled off the factory floor. I have become a bit obsessed......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts