Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the good old days?

Is it cause I'm old that I am now starting to regard things about 20 years ago as the good old days? No mobiles, no text speak, a few basic computers, people still talked to each other, prices were much cheaper, everywhere was less crowded, things were more spontaneous Etc. Etc.

In the past I have always thought this was a concept looked back upon with nostalgia by people of a certain age, but now as I grow older I wonder if they really were the good old days?

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
I strongly suspect that people miss having a full head of hair, not having a bad back, etc. etc. more than they miss having a black and white telly, betamax or a ZX Spectrum.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
For me the good old days are now. The past is like the area I was born in (not saying where to avoid controversy!) - a good place to come from, but I wouldn't want to live there.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
It’s not so much as what it was actually like but more about what you were doing at the time and how that influenced your memory off the good old days.

For example:-
In the 50’s we had rationing and conscription as the country tried to rebuild itself etc but as I was only a baby/child at the time I recall very little of it.
In the 60’s we had an explosion of new things in music, fashion, sport etc. but as I only a youth at the time I was too busy kicking about with my mates in the park or going swimming
In the 70’s we had IRA bombs, awful strikes, 3 day weeks, power cuts etc. but as I was a teenager at the time I was far too busy with exams, apprenticeship and getting married.
In the 80’s we had Margaret Thatcher, the Falkland War etc. but I was far too occupied working hard to repay the mortgage at 15% and trying to raise a family.
In the 90’s we had Tony Blair, Sky/cable TV, the Internet, Good Friday Agreement etc but I was too busy starting to enjoy life as my personal economics improved and our first grand child arrived.
In the 2000’s we had a good time until the whole world went bankrupt and everybody started to struggle and all I could do was to live day to day.

I am now retired and have the time to enjoy and reflect on my life and all I wish to remember are the GOOD times and the happy times of the OLD DAYS

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It’s not so much as what it was actually like but more about what you were doing at the time and how that influenced your memory off the good old days.

For example:-
In the 50’s we had rationing and conscription as the country tried to rebuild itself etc but as I was only a baby/child at the time I recall very little of it.
In the 60’s we had an explosion of new things in music, fashion, sport etc. but as I only a youth at the time I was too busy kicking about with my mates in the park or going swimming
In the 70’s we had IRA bombs, awful strikes, 3 day weeks, power cuts etc. but as I was a teenager at the time I was far too busy with exams, apprenticeship and getting married.
In the 80’s we had Margaret Thatcher, the Falkland War etc. but I was far too occupied working hard to repay the mortgage at 15% and trying to raise a family.
In the 90’s we had Tony Blair, Sky/cable TV, the Internet, Good Friday Agreement etc but I was too busy starting to enjoy life as my personal economics improved and our first grand child arrived.
In the 2000’s we had a good time until the whole world went bankrupt and everybody started to struggle and all I could do was to live day to day.

I am now retired and have the time to enjoy and reflect on my life and all I wish to remember are the GOOD times and the happy times of the OLD DAYS
A very neat and accurate summing up. I was born 1947 so can relate to all of the above albeit I was in my twenties by 1970 so not a teenager.

However I do believe that communities were closer knit and looked out for each other more in the past than today. There seems much more "Me Me Me" and "I Want it and I Want it Now" at present.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I would go back to the good old days of my body not steadily falling apart and when a flash of a women's thigh or a 24hr girdle got me going....

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
For me the good old days are now.

For me too! I might not have the money I had a few years back when I was teaching full time, but I'm more content now and doing what I want to do.

Life is what you make it :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
i remember waiting in a huge queue at the bp garage with my ration book in '56 for half a gallon that my 1936 bsa 250cc empire star needed so that i did not have to manually push it everywhere . :D

you want some more good old reminiscing? no i guess not! :lol:

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Or being able to actually go for a drive for fun! Before so much traffic was on the roads that it has become difficult to make good progress.
That and Coppers actually having a sense of humour when they stopped you for going a little too fast

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is just another term for "nostalgia".
Or rose tinted spectacles or am I just a miserable old wrinkly? I have had a number of great experiences in life and currently have a worthwhile job which makes me happy. Money is not really relevant. Compared to some I'm poor, compared to others I'm wealthy but it really doesn't interest me, there are many more important things in life.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Or rose tinted spectacles or am I just a miserable old wrinkly? I have had a number of great experiences in life and currently have a worthwhile job which makes me happy. Money is not really relevant. Compared to some I'm poor, compared to others I'm wealthy but it really doesn't interest me, there are many more important things in life.
More or less the same. Though I have a well paid job, but it is not always 'interesting' anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts