Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I expect I'm reinventing the wheel here, but having been reading threads on this site for 6 odd months, I'm getting the feeling that a growing number of people are having problems recovering deposits from independant car retailers when their cars are not delivered.

Most of these threads appear to be closed by the moderators, so it'll be interesting to see how long this one lasts.

My advice to anyone placing a deposit is as follows:

1) Always get a delivery date - even if it is a long stop delivery date - ie: the worst possible delivery date you are prepared to accept. If the dealer won't give you one, don't give him your money.
2) Agree with the dealer that your full deposit will be repaid in the event that the car is not delivered by the delivery date. If he won't agree, go elsewhere.
3) If you want to take the risk, then check out what risk you are taking. You can get a credit check on most businesses, even sole traders, including some quite detailed information.

I did a check on one of the company's discussed in some of the posts and found the following:

The business is late filing its accounts, and has one set of accounts filed. That set of accounts showed the company's liabilities exceeded its assets by just over £100k.

The business had 4 CCJs against it totalling £8,600 none of which were registered as being paid.

Following the track of Directors I found that there were a dozen odd companies associated with the Directors which were either dissolved or in liquidation, although it appears many of the dissolutions are related to the collapse of a group.

Since late 1995, the companies involved have a total of 16 CCJs amounting to over £52,000 of judgments against them. None of these are registered as paid.

All of this is in the public domain, and fact. Given the above, you have much more information to decide whetehr or not you are going to take the risk of paying a deposit. Similarly, if you accept a guarantee you can only rely on the strength of the company giving you the guarantee.

4) Pay everything by credit card - as a consumer, you can recover money from your credit card company. which will usually be easier than taking the dealer to court

5) Pay everything, and sign everything as a consumer, not as a business. Consumers get substantially more rights than businesses. Judges favour individuals over businesses (sorry if you're a judge - it's not that you're biased, just that you expect a greater degree of expertise/ knowledge/ responsibility from a business than from a consumer).

If you are having issues, act responsibly, courteously but firmly. Put everything in writing, NEVER cancel a contract, always sue for Breach of Contract. THere is some good advice and some standard letters on trading standards websites.

Cheers

PS Can anyone suggest a phone that works really well with Blue and Me?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Sound advice and Top Tips.

Personally I try to never pay a deposit for anything. If they don't believe me that I'll pay the balance on delivery, why should I believe them that they'll use my money to order what I want (or if they can't that they'll give me my money back)?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
thanks for the advice.

Does that always work Ralf:confused:

My HTC Touch Dual works well with my B&Me but I can't use the message reader :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I Think I'll try posting on the technical forum, might get some tech heads to help.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Thanks, I Think I'll try posting on the technical forum, might get some tech heads to help.

Cheers
My company Nokia 3109c works ok andy, but doesn't do text messages, I think there is a compatible list if you google it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'll google it, but still want to get a few more experiences hopefully from this site.

Cheers,

A

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
No so thing as bargains, good deals, IMB. Just go on a personal seek and find mssion to achieve personal satisfaction in all purchases, of whatever commodity you require?:):pS. I'm a value for money guy though???:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts