Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a way I am sad :( to say good bye to the Brera today after a year of ownership. It is the 9th Alfa I have owned, but from the outset I struggled to bond with it the way I have bonded with my GTA over the last more than 5 years. It also never showed the same proper Alfa character as the GTA and the many others before. Maybe it was just too refined, too heavy, and compared with my 3.7 GTA (very unfair I must admit) the performance always lacked quite substantially.

It is a great car for the right person, better built than any Alfa before it, solid interior, no rattles, an incredibly refined cruiser, very comfortable, stunning looks, more than likely the car I ever owned that drew the most attention and received the most comments with it being such a stunning design. All in all a great car, but sadly my GTA is the best Alfa I ever have owned, and until Alfa can bring back that (proper V6...) character; I suspect it will be my last.

I am replacing it with a Jaguar XKR, comments welcome...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
apart for the fact that the 3.2 still allows for elaboration and performance improvement, switching to a Jag is quite a head scratcher for me, but then again it depends on what you want from your car. If I had the chance I'd look into a Cayman S, they're affordable and a pure joy to drive!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I can sympathise with ZAF because I had a 159 that failed to engage me the way my 156 had done, and we parted company after 18 months.
Whereas the 156 always gave me a little more than I expected, the 159 consistently delivered less, especially in its refinement, and disappointed me.
Alfa certainly have nothing in their range at the moment that would interest me which is very sad, but a position a number of people will find themselves in for the next couple of years.
I hope you find the Jaguar to your taste and enjoy the car.

G

·
0 Posts
The Jags are nice...and you still have a GTA so all is good

I want a Brera myself but just because I'm a poser :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
I'm exactly with you on this one. I really miss my 147 - it was super reliable, comfortable, well kitted out, built solid, economical to run and just gave me alot more pleasure in every aspect (bar boot space and the crap stereo) than the 159 has given me.
It's a shame and I have tried to love the 159 but it just doesn't excite me much. Like Mike has said, nothing in the range suits my needs or makes me crave out but then again nothing else does on the market either so I guess its a case of just accepting it as a nice run about.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
you can appreciate that a 3 doors hatchback and a 5 doors saloon don't exactly sit in the same sector of the market ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I suppose it all comes down to preference. If you like it, you like it. If you don't you don't.

I love my 159. Its by no means perfect but it still manages to make me feel good. Maybe the 159 wasn't your type of car. It's a compact exec after all. You can't really compare it to the GTA.

Maybe if you have had alfs's of the past then i suppose you can relate to character. Cars are changing all the time. Refinement is getting better etc so maybe that aspect about excitement is missing.

Alfa still make some of the most beautifully designed cars in the world in my opinion.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the cars in general are lossing soul... new laws, new markets, extended garantees,
I do miss my lancia delta integrale, my renault 5 turbo, my volvo 480 turbo, my ducati 916 sp,
but it time to grow up and understand that a reliable, safe, car like the 159 (a litle bit more german) is a better option in general.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In a way I am sad :( to say good bye to the Brera today after a year of ownership. It is the 9th Alfa I have owned, but from the outset I struggled to bond with it the way I have bonded with my GTA over the last more than 5 years. It also never showed the same proper Alfa character as the GTA and the many others before. Maybe it was just too refined, too heavy, and compared with my 3.7 GTA (very unfair I must admit) the performance always lacked quite substantially.

It is a great car for the right person, better built than any Alfa before it, solid interior, no rattles, an incredibly refined cruiser, very comfortable, stunning looks, more than likely the car I ever owned that drew the most attention and received the most comments with it being such a stunning design. All in all a great car, but sadly my GTA is the best Alfa I ever have owned, and until Alfa can bring back that (proper V6...) character; I suspect it will be my last.

I am replacing it with a Jaguar XKR, comments welcome...
well for a start you are replacing it with a car of more than 2 or 3 times the brera's value??? or are you getting an old banger version? and a car which is in a different class and category from the brera. Sounds like uv gone off alfas and started getting into comfortable financially more able middle age

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the comments and questions. Herewith a few more clarifying points:

Right from the outset with the Brera I tried my best to properly bond with the car, but that just never really happened. My very 1st Alfa was a 1.5 Sprint Veloce many years ago, and as of then I was hooked by the quirkiness and character that was nowhere else to be found. Thereafter followed a string of great Alfa's but as the family grew up and more space was needed, I eventually ended up buying an Alfa 166, but that was the biggest disappointment ever. It was slow with the most terrible auto gearbox (no manual available at that time) and that eventually made me do the German thing for quite a few years until I bought a Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 as family car and the GTA as my re-entry back into the Alfa world and to use it as my daily transport to the office and back.

Since then and a few year later, the Land Rover got traded on a new Discovery 4 V8 as the family car, the GTA underwent a huge amount of work and moved into semi-retirement (to allow more time for more development work) and the Brera arrived as my daily driver.

As far as the Jaguar is concerned, it is also a brand that I always loved, but in almost Alfa type fashion went through a patch of building some questionable quality cars, but over the recent few years they managed to restore their place of old in the motoring world and are now building some absolutely stunning motor cars. The XKR in particular has always been on my “drool” list, and I almost by accident stumbled across this one, and once I saw and drove it, it was game over...

It is definitely (as mentioned above) in a completely different class to the Brera, but what a car. It is just unbelievable, the power, the V8 sound, the fit and finish. I would have preferred to buy something like an 8C, but there are none available in SA, and they also only come in left hand drive. Thereafter the XKR made perfect sense, and thus far I am glad I did it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
it's a shame you didn't get an 8C if you can afford one: a Jag it's just gonna be a Jag, it will look old and you will fall out of love with it, but an 8C is gonna be there forever as a piece of art in motion ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's a shame you didn't get an 8C if you can afford one: a Jag it's just gonna be a Jag, it will look old and you will fall out of love with it, but an 8C is gonna be there forever as a piece of art in motion ;)
Yip, would have been great, but as said, only available in left hand drive, but more importantly, there are none down here in South Africa to buy in the 1st place.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yip, would have been great, but as said, only available in left hand drive, but more importantly, there are none down here in South Africa to buy in the 1st place.
the left hand drive is not a major issue (I live in the UK and had a left hand drive was not too hard to deal with, unless you're alone and trying to get a ticket from a parking entrance that is!), and I'm sure they can be imported.
Again, for the same price range you can get some tasty Porsche..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts