Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive wanted a 4x4 (jeep,range rover,disco) type for a while now to tow our trailer (sons quads) and wondered if anyone here has any advice on which one?

ive a budget of up to 20k but id rather spend less and i want to buy outright so brand new is out of the question as i dont have enough to play with..

list so far is

Freelander sd4
Jeep grand cherokee crd
Land rover disco

newer the better as im hopeing this will last a good few years...

Once bought i an realise my dream of owning a classic alfa for weekend fun...

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Grand Cherokee is a nice car...

But I were spending my own money I would probably go for a Land Cruiser

·
Registered
562 Posts
We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee when we had a horse box which was comfortable, easy to drive but thirsty.

What's the weight of the trailer? Most cars can tow 1200-1500kg so will easily tow up to 800kg, unless you need 4 wheel drive, in which case avoid the disco & freelander.

If a 2 tonne towing ability is enough look at an X-Trail or CRV

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Mitsubishi shogun can tow 3.5 ton and it's far more reliable than any landrover

·
Vendor
46,644 Posts
If it was just locally then a Defender would be alright, but I wouldn't want to go any distance in one.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Defenders are great off road but that's it!
90's are terrible at towing the wheel base is too short so the vehicle gets pushed around, the 110's fair better at towing.
Reliability is the main issue. I had a 2011 90 for nearly a year as a company vehicle and it constantly broke down

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Defenders are great off road but that's it!
90's are terrible at towing the wheel base is too short so the vehicle gets pushed around, the 110's fair better at towing.
Reliability is the main issue. I had a 2011 90 for nearly a year as a company vehicle and it constantly broke down
I wouldn't recc a 90 myself, I was defending the defenders record. The 110 will do the job fine. Not every defender will follow the pattern you experienced. Defenders have an excellent record.
A very good friend of mine, flatly refuses to buy a Toyota of any kind, due to a problematic one he had, but overall they have a reasonable record like most of the Japs.
I stick to my defender..........

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think the real result of this thread, will be "none of the above". I have witnessed so many "What shall I buy" threads on various marque forums, and can NEVER think of one where the asker has listened to suggestions or acted upon them. e.g. Hypothetically..."I am looking for a large saloon car, about 2 to 3 ltr, under 5k that will comfortably seat 5"
After everybody has waded in with their suggestions and created 6 or 7 pages..Someone says "What did you end up buying" with the answer, "oh we changed our mind in the end, as we were passing a Fiat dealer we bought a 500L".:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee when we had a horse box which was comfortable, easy to drive but thirsty.

What's the weight of the trailer? Most cars can tow 1200-1500kg so will easily tow up to 800kg, unless you need 4 wheel drive, in which case avoid the disco & freelander.

If a 2 tonne towing ability is enough look at an X-Trail or CRV
The trailer is a Ifor williams 2.7 ton twin axle which i used to tow using my series 11 2 and 1/4 landy and has recently been modified to carry 2 quads..

I want to use the 4x4 for getting up to some pretty out the way fields and wooded areas we know but i also want to use it daily..

thanks for the ideas so far...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the real result of this thread, will be "none of the above". I have witnessed so many "What shall I buy" threads on various marque forums, and can NEVER think of one where the asker has listened to suggestions or acted upon them. e.g. Hypothetically..."I am looking for a large saloon car, about 2 to 3 ltr, under 5k that will comfortably seat 5"
After everybody has waded in with their suggestions and created 6 or 7 pages..Someone says "What did you end up buying" with the answer, "oh we changed our mind in the end, as we were passing a Fiat dealer we bought a 500L".:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
I disagree as i did ask for ideas on the wifes new car and shortlisted a new focus,bmw 1 series and golf and the focus did win...with a couple of votes for the focus from AO:thumbup:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I've driven a SWB 90 to Southern Spain & back, no problems.
Hardly the most comfortable or quickest alternative to drive to Spain
though, is it?

Unless you really need full off-road capability the Defender
is a dog to drive long distance. Like it's Jeep Wrangler cousin
in that respect.

You don't want SD4 engine. It's barely got enough puff
to move the car. Believe me. :(

Grand Cherokee seems the best bet from the short list

1 - 20 of 37 Posts