Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the Meyle HD ones as replacements. I'm going to need to get the angle grinder out, aren't I?

BTW, when I was doing the shocks I noticed the exhaust was pretty much rusted through. Any recommendations for replacement? Not looking for SS performance, just a straight swap.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I've never had to resort to cutting the droplinks on the two occasions I've changed them on the GTA, but that may be partly down to the fact that the suspension generally stays clean and dry as (for the last 7 years) it's not been my daily driver. The key point is to be sure that the hex 'hole' is completely cleaned out of loose dirt so that you can fully insert an allen key to hold the balljoint still. The moment the allen key slips it's game over, but if it's properly 'home' there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Why start off struggling with a part you're going to discard.

Trying to use an Allen key and get yourself all wound up is pointless, cut it off, end of.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Got the Meyle HD ones as replacements. I'm going to need to get the angle grinder out, aren't I?
Maybe not, have a look at your new droplinks and notice the flat on the spline, this is to allow you to get a spanner on to hold the spline still while you undo the nut.

The original droplinks didn't come with the flat however a previous owner may have replaced them with the newer type.

Even if they don't have the flat raise only the side you're working on as high as possible, it'll put so much tension of the ARB/Droplink you may find it's enough to get the nuts undone.

Last resort angle grinder.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe not, have a look at your new droplinks and notice the flat on the spline, this is to allow you to get a spanner on to hold the spline still while you undo the nut.

The original droplinks didn't come with the flat however a previous owner may have replaced them with the newer type.

Even if they don't have the flat raise only the side you're working on as high as possible, it'll put so much tension of the ARB/Droplink you may find it's enough to get the nuts undone.

Last resort angle grinder.

Good luck

Pub
One down, fag and tea break. They look like originals, no flats just the Allen hole. Struggled to get some purchase on it to no avail, 30 seconds with a grinder sorted that. I'm guessing the second one is going to be a LOT quicker.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And done. Fairly painless once I decided 240v destruction was the way to go.

Next weekend I'm going to see if I can sort out the dribble that passes for my windscreen washer jets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts