Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, i know i know we've talked about this a lot!!

But im gonna do my rear bushes, nw i thought this was gonna be a expensive job, but realy its not a bad! 80quid for 4 of the rear main bushes, which im guessing are fked coz i get a slight sideways movement over bumps! This bearing thing tho, where is it? and does it really need to be replaced? Doesnt creak or anything, and how hard is it to do?

The stabliser bushes, dont think they need doing, the seem in good condition - so dont think im gonna bother as yet! What ya guys think?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi A17esh,

I am waiting for my Koni's and Ebiachs to arrive this week. Called to Merc dealer today and bought 2 bushes/joints at a cost of £65 for the pair all in.

Still to get bushes. Waiting to hear what Indie advises next week when it's in for service. You not going Powerflex are you?

Let you know how it works out....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I did all the bushes on the back of my GTV. ........ took about 5/6 hours. The worst bit was getting the old ones out of the arms. I drilled the rubber out and used a hacksaw on the outer shell to get it out of the arms......... The only other hassle was getting the newly bushed arms back in, they can be a bit tight, but a gentle bit of persuasion helped.

It was well worth the cost and effort............. Drives like a different car.

Good Luck

cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
65 quid..ouch, what part number was it, i got a little confused with the main thred on this. I am going powerflex, i belive thats the way forwards unless there is a cheaper option? I was hopeing that i might just need to replace the pair of rubbers for pollys, how important is this bearing, im just skimping here........well trying too.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mercedes part number.2013520027

Not exactly flush with cash myself at the mo, but sometimes it's just a false ecomomy not to do it right first time. There won't be a second.

Still to buy Powerflex bushes, then i'll be ready to hit the workshop.....:cry:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mercedes part number.2013520027

Not exactly flush with cash myself at the mo, but sometimes it's just a false ecomomy not to do it right first time. There won't be a second.

Still to buy Powerflex bushes, then i'll be ready to hit the workshop.....:cry:
Good luck mate ..........:thumbs:

.........and seeing as how you'll be under the car for a bit............. Please make sure you use proper axle stands.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
65 quid..ouch, what part number was it, i got a little confused with the main thred on this. I am going powerflex, i belive thats the way forwards unless there is a cheaper option? I was hopeing that i might just need to replace the pair of rubbers for pollys, how important is this bearing, im just skimping here........well trying too.
The Mercedes Bush/ Ball Joint/ Knuckle :)cry:) is probably the most important bit at the rear end.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry to diappoint GR, but i ain't getting my hands dirty. Leaving it to the experts (Eurofix in Belfast).

Might have a crack at removing back seat and parcel shelf...any good threads on that one?

I have an old friend who has a bodyshop. He's quoted a full respray at £600 as a favour, so i may get my hands dusty doing the prep for that one. :p Might leave that until March though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i expect someones already flagged this but powerflex had a fire recently and bushes are hard to find and of course expensive now.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did i mention I got this merc part, both for like £20.......from GSF!

Also, going to do thos job this week...........burn out the buches and merc part I might leave for a bit............Ive heard its a asssssss

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
you'll probably need a press for the merc doo-dah or i've seen puller tools for other cars (saabs IIRC) that look like the might be perfect?

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
I am gonna do mine too when they arrive and if I can remember where I put the armoured merc knuckles.
Has anyone got kens mobile no.

Pomeo

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right, iv gone to do the rear front main bush, burned it out etc.......but the fecker doesnt fit? The powerflex it to large to press in whhhhhyyyyy!

GRRRRR

·
Registered
120 Posts
If it's the powerflex bushes i did, they dont press in, they have a step on each end of poly and you just sit them in with the bush going through the middle.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its ok I sussed it, you have to cut a sleeve out.........

The rubber bush its, metal on the outside, then rubber, then the metal tube. I burned it out, then tried to fit the powerflex. Not to bad of a job YET!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Did i mention I got this merc part, both for like £20.......from GSF!

Also, going to do thos job this week...........burn out the buches and merc part I might leave for a bit............Ive heard its a asssssss
Anesh, you do realise, don't you, that for £20 the pair, you've got cheap Chinese rubbish copies.....and will probably be changing them again in short order.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anesh, you do realise, don't you, that for £20 the pair, you've got cheap Chinese rubbish copies.....and will probably be changing them again in short order.
I did think that! Glad youve just old me this! Ill get onto it soon when Ive got the extra cash! The powerflex has seemed to have solved the sidways sway so im happy for now, didnt think it would as the bushes werrnt all that worn and had very little play!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts