Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst having a clear out today i found a box containing loads of my old cassettes dating back quite a way and being curious tried a few in the the 166s ultra modern sound system tape deck.
This believe it or not is the first time in eight years of 166 ownership that i have used the tape deck and boy oh boy what a disapointment ,I meant the sound quality not my choice in 35 year old music.!:cheese:
Why the heck did Alfa put a cassette deck in a late nineties design ? and why carry it on into my 2005 model . Cassettes were as dead as disco (cant resist that one) in the early nineties so how did they think that they could launch an executive car with high tech for the time pretensions with a cassette deck.
I liked the picture of a cassette on the ICS screen as well !

·
Registered
432 Posts
Whilst having a clear out today i found a box containing loads of my old cassettes dating back quite a way and being curious tried a few in the the 166s ultra modern sound system tape deck.
This believe it or not is the first time in eight years of 166 ownership that i have used the tape deck and boy oh boy what a disapointment ,I meant the sound quality not my choice in 35 year old music.!:cheese:
Why the heck did Alfa put a cassette deck in a late nineties design ? and why carry it on into my 2005 model . Cassettes were as dead as disco (cant resist that one) in the early nineties so how did they think that they could launch an executive car with high tech for the time pretensions with a cassette deck.
AFAIK it's an integrated system they bought from Germany and was also used in Porsches. Would be a lot of money/trouble to get an entirely new ICS.

I don't mind having the casette deck. It's not like I am forced to use it. And it's not adding much weight to the car.

·
Registered
754 Posts
This believe it or not is the first time in eight years of 166 ownership that i have used the tape deck and boy oh boy what a disapointment ,I meant the sound quality
I disagree there. I think it's a good system. It's a damn sight better than mp3. Lots more dynamic range. I use the tape player a lot on long journeys. All you need is good recordings made with a good player on good tape.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was stunned to find out a 2005 BMW X5 with a comms pack upgrade had only a radio and cassette, not what a friend imagined either when he ordered a 44K car new!:cheese: Wonder when pre-recorded cassettes stopped being mainstream media?

·
Registered
761 Posts
They probably thought their target market would only be listening to old Dire Straights or self help/motivation recordings :lol:

I wondered how long it would take for this topic to turn in to a discussion about alternative input methods :rolleyes:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I go to charity shops for my cassettes!

Get this Pomeo, I'm listening to the Proclaimers at the moment!

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
you'd be surprised - BMW fitted cassette players in even its high end cars until very recently. usually they were hiding behind the sat nav screen.

·
Registered
641 Posts
cassettes from the charity shop are great. Listen once, then chuck 'em out of the window (but not the proclaimers of course).

·
Registered
754 Posts
Cassettes are great. I sourced a Teac C-3RX from ebay to record nice Chrome tapes. Ultra high end hi-fi for pennies. Sound great in the 166. Dump your rubbish iPod. Go back to tapes!

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I cannot stand the Proclaimers, they were crap back in their day, and are even more crap now, especially that sh1tty 1000 miles record. Utter garbage.

There were so many fine Scottish bands in the 80s, Simple Minds, The Skids, Big Country, Cocteau Twins, Secret Goldfish, Yurusi Yatsura, Aztec Camera, The Associates, RunRig, Idlewild, Teenage Fanclub,

and all we remember is the bl00dy Proclaimers!!!!!?

Grrrrr

·
Registered
641 Posts
Purple145,

You forgot to include the Bay City Rollers on your list.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Ah, yeah, but,....those fine bands are in fact bands from Scotland, not Scottish bands, IYSWIM. The Proclaimers kind of did exactly that didn't they, just proclaimed the accents loud and proud and not particularly musically.

And in a vain effort to hide the OT nature of this post, I've never used the cassette in our 166 and probably never will. It's not that long ago that I bought an expensive Kenwood ICE unit that had a cassette slot hiding behind the front panel. Never used that either.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Back to Scottish bands, you cannot possibly omit the Sound of Young Scotland: Orange Juice, Edwyn Collins, Josef K. And there's the Fire Engines. All these have sounded incredibly good on Chrome D-90's in my 166 which was itself living around Glasgow until I got it.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
for got to say, I woke up this morning remembering the Proclaimers did that Letter to America record,

damn

I thought that was sucessfully erased from my memory

·
Registered
21 Posts
I kinda like that Trash Can Sinatras. Is it Scottish or from Scotland? You Scots:cheese:. Named Scottishly I reckon...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts