Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4801 - 4820 of 4823 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,802
We know where he, and Cummings, stand on eugenics. I think the relative value of a life is difficult to quantify on some levels, and easier on others.

Maybe acting more rapidly on testing, not speculating on things like herd immunity, and getting behind the curve - in fact...scrap that...maybe having decent leadership with morals and a backbone would have been a more economical choice too.

Not sure that option was available at the election, mind.

·
Vendor
45,772 Posts
I'm not interested in personalities, only policies. Responding faster to the outbreak in Wuhan would have placed us in a better position than we're in now, but only those that got hit with SARs last time around seemed to take this threat seriously. S. Korea has been preparing for a pandemic since 2008 and seems to have largely kept this one in check. But what they've spent on pandemic preparation for over a decade, they haven't been spending on x y & z. What's the opportunity cost of being prepared for an unlikely event? If we'd maintained twice the number of intensive care beds in hospitals, we'd have had to find equivalent savings elsewhere all else being equal. I'm aware the decisions being taken are probably more about what is politically acceptable now rather than what is in the longterm best interest of the country, which is why they've gone for a "whatever it takes" response to this crisis, and that's probably why they are up in the polls.

I would love a glimpse at the alternate universe with Corbyn in charge.

·
Vendor
45,772 Posts
Or maybe it just all boils down to masks? I think in Japan a lot of people wear masks anyway don't they?

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,805
I'm not interested in personalities, only policies. Responding faster to the outbreak in Wuhan would have placed us in a better position than we're in now, but only those that got hit with SARs last time around seemed to take this threat seriously. S. Korea has been preparing for a pandemic since 2008 and seems to have largely kept this one in check. But what they've spent on pandemic preparation for over a decade, they haven't been spending on x y & z. What's the opportunity cost of being prepared for an unlikely event? If we'd maintained twice the number of intensive care beds in hospitals, we'd have had to find equivalent savings elsewhere all else being equal. I'm aware the decisions being taken are probably more about what is politically acceptable now rather than what is in the longterm best interest of the country, which is why they've gone for a "whatever it takes" response to this crisis, and that's probably why they are up in the polls.

I would love a glimpse at the alternate universe with Corbyn in charge.
I really wouldn't

·
Vendor
45,772 Posts
He'd still have had the same scientists advising him.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Balancing the economic impact on people of doing 'whatever it takes', against the health impact of not doing 'whatever it takes', involves so many unknowns that we couldn't reach an objective answer.

As there's an immediate risk of catastrophe, versus the risk of longer term suffering, I'd vote for saving lives now, knowing it will result in future problems.

As a supplementary point, an economic crisis would make it much harder to care for the ill, the vulnerable and the poor. But it wouldn't prevent it. Those of us not in those categories would have to take more of the burden. It's quite likely the populace will refuse to take that burden, i.e. vote against it. In that case, the suffering will be a result of their choice, not a direct result of the current decision to save lives instead of saving the economy.

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
Or maybe it just all boils down to masks? I think in Japan a lot of people wear masks anyway don't they?
I don't understand the full details of it, but there is definitely a cultural thing of wearing masks in Japan if you either are under the weather yourself, or would be vulnerable to catching something. For instance, amongst other occasions, a colleague of mine from Japan used to wear one in meetings while she was pregnant.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,810
I may be wrong, but I think this thread was prompted by the sense that Cameron was beginning to realise that it isn't all roses (I'm too lazy to re-read from the beginning of the thread).

Assuming that's the case, boy, isn't Johnson absolutely, squarely and completely out of his depth currently?

PMQs is suddenly fascinating. He is defenceless without his loud gang. He can't respond coherently, and sometimes has admitted failure - that would be refreshing if accompanied by a resignation.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
He's totally out of his depth. It's Cummings that is running the show. A very dangerous individual.That's why BJ is only rold out with scripts. As soon as difficult questions are put to him, he reverts to guff and blusto. It's mistake after mistake and why the press aren't showing this shambles up??? God help us all.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
I'm not really the first to defend him but I did wonder if lack of sleep (due to the baby), may be a factor in him not being able to answer questions competently. I mean obviously he is incompetent but this could just magnify that situation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
To be fair "how would you cope with a pandemic" never came up in my meager education.

I wouldn't expect a politician to be "in his depth" regarding global biological distress. I doubt many scientists would be comfortable in that chair either.

Cummings is a strategist not a scientist.

He studied history. You can't fail that exam. Just remember stuff that's already happened.

He's proud to state he's never been a member of any political party. He's definitely an "I" man.

I read
I worked
I was Director
I worked
I was Michael
I said
I was leaving
I left
I wrote
I've written
I have never been a member of a political party
I ran
I run

All in one page. Focused on self, everyone else a means to his end.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I'm not really the first to defend him but I did wonder if lack of sleep (due to the baby), may be a factor in him not being able to answer questions competently. I mean obviously he is incompetent but this could just magnify that situation.
I doubt he is doing the 3am feed. I expect they have help (at least I would hope they do).

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
Probably not the best example but Cameron had very young children when he was PM, also a severely disabled child. I'm sure BoZo the clown and his missus will have help.

4801 - 4820 of 4823 Posts