Alfa Romeo Forum banner

4781 - 4800 of 4823 Posts

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
If the end game of the whole last 5 years of politics was to slowly but surely drive all normal, law abiding, middle grounded, largely status quo driven voters in the UK into a reluctant, but peaceful and sanity-saving mental state of just ignoring the whole political circus and concentrating instead on gardening or fixing the handrail on the upstairs landing on a weekend - then they have been 100% successful and deserve all the accolades they clearly crave.

I personally wouldn't give a monkeys now if we scrapped Parliament, declared ourselves an absolute monarchy and just let Liz, Chaz and Wills send out a weekly all-subjects email every Friday at 3pm saying "Steady as she goes. Carry on" for the next 50 years.

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
No 10 hurriedly issued a statement to basically assert that this was more about expressions of interest, and that there is a more proper, professional, and less wanky way of doing this.

In other news, I'm half thinking that Brexit might be a long game strategy to destroy politics in England, ensuring Tory hegemony for evermore.
I can see where Cummings is coming from. He's tackling politics like it is a private enterprise. He wants to get stuff done, as quickly, cheaply, efficiently as he can. Its very easy to make a quick blog post and no doubt get thousands of interesting applicants. There perhaps aren't specific job roles for people to fit into, and he's looking for people who he thinks are the right sort of people to identify problems and fix them reasonably independently. Its very much NOT the way governments and bureaucracies work, from my experience of them. I hope Boris goes at this and makes a meaningful difference to the North & Midlands, because the people up here haven't been transformed into Tories overnight and will switch back if they don't see progress, especially if Labour get an appealing leader.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
No 10 hurriedly issued a statement to basically assert that this was more about expressions of interest, and that there is a more proper, professional, and less wanky way of doing this.

In other news, I'm half thinking that Brexit might be a long game strategy to destroy politics in England, ensuring Tory hegemony for evermore.
That's a wonderful thought......happy new year everyone :eek:

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I can see where Cummings is coming from. He's tackling politics like it is a private enterprise. He wants to get stuff done, as quickly, cheaply, efficiently as he can. Its very easy to make a quick blog post and no doubt get thousands of interesting applicants. There perhaps aren't specific job roles for people to fit into, and he's looking for people who he thinks are the right sort of people to identify problems and fix them reasonably independently. Its very much NOT the way governments and bureaucracies work, from my experience of them. I hope Boris goes at this and makes a meaningful difference to the North & Midlands, because the people up here haven't been transformed into Tories overnight and will switch back if they don't see progress, especially if Labour get an appealing leader.
Cummings is a freak who blows smoke up his own ar5e.....but then again that is the "in thing" now......blow your own trumpet loud enough and the sheep will follow.....

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
Cummings is a freak who blows smoke up his own ar5e.....but then again that is the "in thing" now......blow your own trumpet loud enough and the sheep will follow.....
Maybe he's not as good as he thinks he is, but so far he's proved himself to be a very effective operator, whatever his methods. Only the proroguing could be seen as a tactical failure, although in the end, it provoked an election which couldn't have gone any better for him.

It strikes me that his plan is to get non-government, non-civil service type people into positions of influence to change the way Whitehall works, to improve its ability to plan for and react to changing circumstances.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts

The Tories are promising 'electoral reform' which, from what I've heard and read, means losing 50 MPs from the HoC. They then have to redraw the boundaries for the remaining 600 constituencies, there wont be too many Tory marginals after that. There will be a lot more Labour and Lib Dem marginals though, it's all about divide and rule.... forever!

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
The Tories are promising 'electoral reform' which, from what I've heard and read, means losing 50 MPs from the HoC. They then have to redraw the boundaries for the remaining 600 constituencies, there wont be too many Tory marginals after that. There will be a lot more Labour and Lib Dem marginals though, it's all about divide and rule.... forever!
They were, but that was before Theresa May called the 2017 election. According to the 2015 electoral roll there was a big need to change the constituencies to even out the number of voters per MP. When parliament was hung, the reform agenda was quietly dropped as it would have needed Labour/SNP support to go through. There is still perhaps a case for electoral reform, but it won't be based on the 2015 electoral roll, I expect the Electoral Commission will be looking at the 2019 data and making new recommendations. They are supposedly independent from government, supposedly being the key word.

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,789
What do we imagine "getting stuff done" really means?

Who is in charge? Johnson in Mustique, or Cummings in Whitehall?

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,795
eeeeh remember when:

the prime minister was obsessing about big ben bongs

brexit was even interesting or relevant

when brexiteers couldn't formulate a cogent argument in favour of their hobby horse BEFORE covid struck

and, yesterday, when Toby Young calculated that all of this lockdown business is a waste of time & money to save a few hundred thousand scrounging coffin dodgers

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
I read that Toby Young twitter thread, and knew immediately he was going to attract serious flack for it. But if his numbers are anything like accurate, then the economic impact of this lockdown is going to do more harm than the virus. We've seen what happens historically when economies contract.

Meanwhile, over the channel, things are getting interesting: Economic shock from coronavirus forces Europe to face its 'Hamilton moment'

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,797
I read that Toby Young twitter thread, and knew immediately he was going to attract serious flack for it. But if his numbers are anything like accurate, then the economic impact of this lockdown is going to do more harm than the virus. We've seen what happens historically when economies contract.

Meanwhile, over the channel, things are getting interesting: Economic shock from coronavirus forces Europe to face its 'Hamilton moment'
Who knows?

But, essentially, would you deny someone access to a ventilator on the basis of his fag packet calculations?

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Could someone please explain to me why Corbyn is still Labour Party leader?
Because they're still in the process of electing a new leader - I believe April 5th is the date it was intended to be finalised.
They're voting on it now, Keir Starmer the favourite apparently. I quite like him and Lisa Nandy.
Can't abide Long-Bailey - Corbynite continuity candidate with a face like a slapped arse and a voice to match..

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
Who knows?

But, essentially, would you deny someone access to a ventilator on the basis of his fag packet calculations?
No, but I didn't see that's what he was saying? Regardless of anything else, anyone who is at risk of serious complications if they catch covid needs to completely isolate themselves and take full precautions to make sure they don't get it until the vaccine is tested and being given out which could well be a long time away. But everyone else? We've borrowed/printed £350bn in a snap decision (fag packet calculation if you like) - if you think there is no consequence to borrowing/printing money then let's borrow another trillion and give it to the NHS, they should be able to afford whatever they need for the foreseeable future and it's as simple as adding some extra zeros to each Trust's bank account. If you think there will be consequences to borrowing/printing £350bn, has this been the best way to spend it? We'll have to see where this goes. I think we're in for a long recession and the BoE has just used up all its ammo in one go when it could be been drip-fed into vital services far more efficiently throughout what is to come.

4781 - 4800 of 4823 Posts