Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was seriously considering VW Golf 1.4 TSI (Sport 160bhp) until Giulietta 1.4 MA 170bhp comes along.

Has anyone driven both, and could you share your experience in various aspects of the cars pls?

I've read a few car mag reviews, but prefer to hear from owners or folks who've driven both on daily basis.

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
if you want to be lost in the crowd of a boring german car then the VW will be fine and will be reliable, boring, get good service, boring, good economy, boring, etc etc

I guess coming to an Alfa Forum you would expect to be told that a Golf is boring and represents the people who drive them.

T

·
0 Posts
Wouldnt necessarily use the word boring - I'd say "efficient". Like most germanic things, incredibly well engineered, quality second to none, no surprises. But hard to get passionate about - an appliance.

On the other hand - Italian, fiery, passion, slightly mad, flawed but with soul, a mistress who will confuse and infuriate so many times but who will - if you work for it - will take you to unimaginable heights of joy.

Well easy to guess which one I prefer - not that the Golf isn't a good choice - if that is what you want.

·
Registered
428 Posts
An alfa is alive, its got character, its got style, its art, its sex on wheels, its sounds gorgeous and no matter how many times you look at its always look beautiful.

A golf is just a car !:lol:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The Alfa rides better, is quieter at speed, has better controlled damping in its suspension, and has a better engine. The Giulietta also steers better, and when in D mode is a much more fun drive.

The Golf is not better built than Giulietta but uses softer materials for the interior trim. The Golf also had better headroom at the rear, and can also be got in a wider range of interior trims. I believe the Golf's engine uses a timing chain, which will make it theoretically cheaper to service. More people currently want secondhand Golfs than Alfas, but I don't think you'd have much trouble getting a buyer and a good price for a secondhand Giulietta either when the time comes..

My verdict was that the Golf felt nicer inside the showroom, but once I drove both, I found that the Alfa was better overall: even in the traditional Golf strengths of ride comfort and quietness. I would recommend that you try both, and make up your own decisions, though.

T

·
0 Posts
Actually they are all just tin boxes that rust, dent, wear out and cost you money.

So why am I waiting for delivery of my ninth Alfa having never owned anything else.......?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, for all the comments.

Well, I have test driven the 159 and really really love it. :) But the 2.2 JTS engine is end of production, and 159 is nearing end of line soon. Fuel consumption is also a concern.

Golf 1.4 TSI sport is next. But you are right....it's OK, it's sensible and efficient, but I didn't get the excitement. :(

Giulietta - I haven't tested. Would very love to test it, but the only problem is that Giulietta has not arrived in my country yet (no, I don't stay in UK).

So now I'm holding back my purchase, keenly waiting for Giulietta. I can only read from car mag reviews. Some of them mentioned that Giulietta has lost it's "Alfa-ness", and gone "Germanic" :confused:
I'm trying to find a good reason to hold back my purchase till Giulietta arrives......

That's why I posted the question above for help. More comments welcome

Thanks, you are a helpful bunch..... :cheese:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Giulietta also steers better, and when in D mode is a much more fun drive.
D mode? Is that an auto drive mode in the dual clutch system? Is this now available?

I was under the impression Giulietta is only fully manual (with clutch) for now? Pls clarify. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Thanks guys, for all the comments.

Well, I have test driven the 159 and really really love it. :) But the 2.2 JTS engine is end of production, and 159 is nearing end of line soon. Fuel consumption is also a concern.

Golf 1.4 TSI sport is next. But you are right....it's OK, it's sensible and efficient, but I didn't get the excitement. :(

Giulietta - I haven't tested. Would very love to test it, but the only problem is that Giulietta has not arrived in my country yet (no, I don't stay in UK).

So now I'm holding back my purchase, keenly waiting for Giulietta. I can only read from car mag reviews. Some of them mentioned that Giulietta has lost it's "Alfa-ness", and gone "Germanic" :confused:
I'm trying to find a good reason to hold back my purchase till Giulietta arrives......

That's why I posted the question above for help. More comments welcome

Thanks, you are a helpful bunch..... :cheese:
Not quite the same but I went from a 2.2 Brera to a 1.4TSI Scirocco, I've also tested the 1.4 Giulietta. Without question the Giulietta has lost it's 'Alfa-ness', nice car but to me nothing special. It could have benn any car, very unimpressed with the materials in the cabin, the car I drove have a number of rattles around the dash and cheap feeling plastics, VW's might appear samey but the materials are top quality.
Many consider VW's bland, but IMHO I don't consider the Scirocco to be bland, I've saved a fortune moving from the Brera to the Scirocco, servicing costs are half the price (£170 every 18-24 months), tyres last nearly double the mileage (18K, Brera 10K) and are a lot cheaper, can easily achieve 40mpg and the odd time 45mpg and I'm pretty sure when it comes to trade in in the future there will be a big difference.
But it is each to there own, I needed to reduce costs due to the mileage I'm doing and Alfa's are not cheap cars to run, sure I miss the Brera but only for it's looks, everything else the VW beats it hands down.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
D mode? Is that an auto drive mode in the dual clutch system? Is this now available?
It's the "DNA" driving mode selector that both Mito and Giulietta have. You can choose between Dynamic, Normal and an All-weather setting. On Giulietta, the Dynamic mode sharpens up the throttle response, adds weight to the steering, makes the brake response more sensitive (simulating a "pre-filled" cylinder), and uses the antilock brake system to simulate a limited-slip differential on the front wheels. All-weather is for poor conditions, and makes the steering, throttle and brake responses more gradual to recduce the chance of skidding, and also sets the ESP system to intervene earlier than normal.

tony44 said:
I've also tested the 1.4 Giulietta. Without question the Giulietta has lost it's 'Alfa-ness', nice car but to me nothing special. It could have benn any car, very unimpressed with the materials in the cabin, the car I drove have a number of rattles around the dash and cheap feeling plastics, VW's might appear samey but the materials are top quality.
Oddly enough, the VW I drove had a rattle from the passenger door sill. As it was a garage car, I'd expect that, but when I mentioned it to the salesman he just said something like "no. there are no rattles in a golf". Um.. lesson #1 in sales must surely be "don't call the customer a liar to their face".

Tony, you were obviously looking for another coupé to replace the Brera, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Giulietta didn't appeal. The Giulietta does use harder materials, but I wouldn't say a Golf is "better built" (the more expensive Scirocco may have a bit more attention paid to it, though). As someone who preferred the VW, how would you compare the two cars' engines?

·
Registered
8 Posts
A golf is just a car !:lol:
From a soon to be Alfa driver - I have to disagree on one point, the new Golfs are boring yes, but the original Mk1 GTi was and still is a classic beautifully engineered car that is very much alive.....

Sadly over the years they (VW and HSE bods) have made a concerted effort to take everything that was good out of the car and repalce it with something heavy.... thats why I went for the Alfa. Lightness and agility is what you want out of a car this size.

Just me 2cents ....

T

·
0 Posts
Unfortunately when the bean counters see they have a success on their hands they start to tinker - eg the Mk 1Fiesta XR2 morphed into a bloated series of ever heavier models getting less and less characterful - as it is with the Golf - Mk1 was a triumph of Guigiaro design that has put on weight steadily - undoubtedly a better overall package now but somewhat distanced from the original.

U

·
0 Posts
Heavier vehicle weights are the price we have to pay for extra equipment and better crash safety.

There seems to be very little difference in reality between the kerb weight of a Giulietta and a Mark 6 Golf - they both hover in the region of 1350kgs on published data, depending on spec, with the Golf BlueMotion edging it at around 1159kgs. An Audi A3 Sportback 5 door (shudder) is around 1300kgs.
The Giulietta 2.0 JTDm and the 1750TBi are both up at 1395kgs according to Carfolio.com - perilously close to the 159Tbi at 1430kgs
Whatever other attributes Alfa have built into the Giulietta, extreme lightness isn't one of them.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts