Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove one today. 100 miles sat in the back looking at all the gadgetry, listening to the Maccy D car park stylee piped through speakers 'zorst boom when in sport mode and generally getting my teeth rattled out.

10 mile drive back on the last leg.

It's blisteringly quick, and it does not know where to stop. Steering wheel is nice, ride still uncomfortable, handling tight (but firm) but, and here is the kicker, it's a bit 'games console', if you know what I mean. As an every day car it would get me banned, not because I would want to drive it fast to enjoy it, or revel in the theatre of it, or just listen to it, but because ragging the taters off it would be my way of getting revenge on it or trying to get some feeling out of it.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The only enjoyment to be got from this kind of car is watching the needle go to a high number.

Basically, the skill of the driver has been engineered out of the experience - you can go really, really fast without needing to feel or understand how to guide a car at speed.

Huge praise from all over the media for this car, but ...if it's such a brilliant car, why do VW have to discount it so massively?

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL, I had a bit of a dice with one this morning.

I drive a 156 2,5 v6 but the Golf R is massively fast especially up here in the thin Johannesburg air. We took off down a highway on-ramp, and it pulled away without too much effort into the s-bend that the on-ramp makes, even with me redlining it. But the driver went too wide on the curve / ran out of bravery, and I was able to stick to him through the S bend, even with the heavy v6. As soon as we hit the highway, though, the R went "grrr" and pretty much walked away. :lol:

That said, looking at the stats for the car afterwards, I would have imagined it to be even faster than it seemed. They sound very nice, but the sad old VW body doesn't do the engine justice. I do wish that Alfa had made a super or turbocharged busso :D

·
Registered
37,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drove the Golfer from Ludlow back to Shrewsbry on Monday, main challenge was trying to get the trip mpg over 35ish.

Driving position is annoying with nowhere to rest my right arm :(

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The video of Chris Harris thrashing one of these R's up the Black Mountains is seriously impressive. In three door form, a great bit of kit. Shame Alfa has nothing to compete / compare with it :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
The new Alfas that are in the pipeline (if we ever get to see them before we die of old age) sound like they will give anything under a supercar a run for its money. I'm guessing so would a 3.8 conversion, even though it isn't exactly stock.

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
The new Alfas that are in the pipeline (if we ever get to see them before we die of old age) sound like they will give anything under a supercar a run for its money. I'm guessing so would a 3.8 conversion, even though it isn't exactly stock.
If you're going to have an imaginary range of cars that nobody can actually buy, you may as well make them really fast.

·
Registered
35,768 Posts
If you're going to have an imaginary range of cars that nobody can actually buy, you may as well make them really fast.
That's what I told my imaginary friend !
But a real friend , who's Italian and knows a bit about what's going on, tells me the cash from the Ferrari float is destined to be spent on this range of cars....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had one of these for 4 weeks now and after initial worries that it all might be a bit too clinical, it really can put a smile on my face. It's stupid fast and does have tons of grip but you can certainly get the back end to step out if that's your thing, although it doesn't let you go too wild before it starts to interfere.

Despite all that, it is great at just being a normal car when you want it to be, it's reasonably comfortable (compared with the brera) and mpg figures in the 30s are genuinely acheivable (maybe 40s on a long run, I haven't done one yet).

I'm still not sure about the sound of it, I might have to disconnect the sound actuator and see if that is preferable.

I hate to say it but it is better than my brera was in every way, other than the looks and sound of course.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts