Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2017
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. and a GTA Sportwagon in a straight line on a closed road naturally it was interesting to see the comparison of the two machines from very different eras. From 2nd gear right through to 4th what do you think the result would be?

The Golf has 306bhp and a 0-60 of 4.6 so a very fast car. I really don't know if my GTA is standard but surely the Golf would walk past no? The reality was very very little in it until higher speeds where the Golf R interestingly did start gaining. Of course many factors at play but I think he was expecting to be overtaking the old girl, not so. Needless to say my fuel consumption for that trip was slightly lowered :hehe:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I had an 05 Audi A3 Quattro DSG 3.2 sat on the drive for a while. From what I understand this is basically a Golf R32.

Boring doesn't cover it. No character, dismal gearbox - far worse than a selespeed when pulling away, no balance to it's handling - grip, grip, nothing, and then it picks a direction, ANY direction...

But, fundamentally, it was slow. Everything else being equal, a GTA would leave it for dead.

Build quality wasn't great either. Nice panel gaps, but poor quality leather and plastic inside.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Every Golf R I've come across seems to back down and let me ease past, they know they're inferior!! :bow:

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had an 05 Audi A3 Quattro DSG 3.2 sat on the drive for a while. From what I understand this is basically a Golf R32.

Boring doesn't cover it. No character, dismal gearbox - far worse than a selespeed when pulling away, no balance to it's handling - grip, grip, nothing, and then it picks a direction, ANY direction...

But, fundamentally, it was slow. Everything else being equal, a GTA would leave it for dead.

Build quality wasn't great either. Nice panel gaps, but poor quality leather and plastic inside.

The new Golf R is a 2 litre turbo with the wick turned up and four wheel drive.

I am astounded at the ability of the GTA, just getting used to it and with new discs and pads all round and new droplinks it feels so tight.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Must have been something up with the golf. Much to my dismay I got beaten (not by much and I didn't get away too well) by a new A6 TDI! ?. I'm assuming it was one of the higher powered variants!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm honestly surprised the Golf R didn't leave the GTA for dead from a standing start with all that grip and extra torque.

And oddly pulling away at the higher end with greater transmission loss and smaller capacity.

Was he running a big turbo with huge lag?

·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm honestly surprised the Golf R didn't leave the GTA for dead from a standing start with all that grip and extra torque.

And oddly pulling away at the higher end with greater transmission loss and smaller capacity.

Was he running a big turbo with huge lag?
No standing starts, I don't like the idea of the transmission stresses on an older car with that kind of thing - this was from rolling along in 2nd at 40ish.

All very unscientific and subjective but the end result is I am astounded yet again by the GTA the way it does it all so well and with that sound.

·
Registered
387 Posts
you get surprisingly good lease deals on Golf R, i guess that is why there are so many of them about

Golf R's flooding the auction halls at the moment. Lots of 3 year old PCP contracts being auctioned off. Generally very poor spec as well.
I spend a lot of time driving various modern cars and always am amazed when getting back into my GTA how much better it is to drive. Golf R certainly falls into the typical German sports car category of quick, dull and joyless.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've had a couple of plays with Golf Rs in my GTA on mways, and have always pulled away each time, and yes they were trying! in one instance, a Golf R and an 2016 RS6 was involved, the RS6 is in another league this goes without saying, and shot off like a bat out of hell, but the Golf R, had to settle for Bronze!:classic:

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I had a 156 GTA for 8 years ,and loved every minute of it ,it was modified and pretty quick,I now have an Audi RS4 saloon (manual, V8 Revs to 8.2 !
Performance wise the GTA will do 0 to 100 in about 15 seconds the RS4 will do 0 to 100 and back to 0 in about 15 seconds ,

John

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had a 156 GTA for 8 years ,and loved every minute of it ,it was modified and pretty quick,I now have an Audi RS4 saloon (manual, V8 Revs to 8.2 !
Performance wise the GTA will do 0 to 100 in about 15 seconds the RS4 will do 0 to 100 and back to 0 in about 15 seconds ,

John
The golf R is a 2.0 turbo. Your Audi is a 4.2V8 I fail to see what it has to do with this thread...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Let's not get carried away, I love my GTA but under no circumstances is it quicker than a mk7 golf R.
I too had a private road encounter once, dual carriageway and roundabouts, along with an m135i actually.
The GTA was the slowest, which I obviously expected, the m135i the fastest.

The plucky old Italian put up a good fight though, I'm sure the drivers of the other 2 were most concerned at how hard they had to push to pull any distance on some old hatchback. The chances are 95% of golf r/m135i drivers have no clue what a GTA is.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Let's not get carried away, I love my GTA but under no circumstances is it quicker than a mk7 golf R.
I too had a private road encounter once, dual carriageway and roundabouts, along with an m135i actually.
The GTA was the slowest, which I obviously expected, the m135i the fastest.

The plucky old Italian put up a good fight though, I'm sure the drivers of the other 2 were most concerned at how hard they had to push to pull any distance on some old hatchback. The chances are 95% of golf r/m135i drivers have no clue what a GTA is.
Agree.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts

John
And your point is ??.. apart from informing us you drive a fast car.
I think the days of our V6 Alfa's being viewed as quick cars are unfortunately well over. It's more about the driving experience and heritage now. Plus, it's a futile pursuit trying to achieve the quickest dude on the road title anyway. Imagine shelling out on a Lambo and having some Bell End in a Bugatti cruise past you. Unlikely, I know, but there will always be something quicker out there !

·
Registered
35,747 Posts
John, being a GTA guru, is very familiar the era to which it belongs and how things have moved on. I think that's his point. And how he came into some money that bought him something more modern.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

John
I'm surprised that the RS4 takes that long - hope you are well ?

Few weekends ago I tried something a bit left field - a Jag XKR-S, loved the way it looked, loved the interior, loved the noise it made and OMG its bloody mental in the way it delivers the power - however as amazing as it is, the only way it makes you screen with laughter is when you are having to break speed limits, and that is why the GTA is still a strong performer, in that it can deliver a feeling of thrill whilst being special all within legal limits.

It's also the reason why I love 595 Comp Abarths !! And you could have three for the price of an XKR-S or one GQF ???

1 - 20 of 36 Posts