Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other weekend the wifes cousin was down from Yorkshire, she has a 1.4 Golf, about 09 plate. She is the type of person who considers a car as a box with 4 wheels which gets you from A-B and makes a good mobile rubbish tip. I commented on the oil bottle she had in the passenger door pocket. It turns out that she has to regularly top the oil up, which she did before leaving home. I thought it was worth checking before she left for the return trip, there was not even any oil to mark the dip stick, I put in 1 litre! It is of course questionable whether the oil had previously been topped up correctly, but for a car with only 77K on the clock any consumption is suspicious. I was reminded of this consumption yesterday when following a 1.4 Polo, trailing tell tale blue smoke.

Do any of you VW fans out there know if this is a weakness on VW engines? Oil consumption is something from the past I thought (TS engines)

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Huge number of threads out there on VAG group car oil consumption.

I had a 2004 Audi A4 convertible from new and it used 1L of oil every 5-6k miles. Apparently all within spec for VAG.

Never saw any blue smoke so never was sure where it went....

Have a look on Pistonheads under VAG oil consumption

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:wow:

No mention of this when the advertising tells folks how brilliant cars they are.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Had a 1.4 polo for years. I have to say that apart from a lambda sensor light that always came back on within 3 minutes of being reset by the VAG garage I used to get it serviced, it was pretty reliable. Not particularly well made, thin metal, horrid plastics in the interior but durable seating cloth at least. It certainly did drink a lot of oil though.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Huge number of threads out there on VAG group car oil consumption.

I had a 2004 Audi A4 convertible from new and it used 1L of oil every 5-6k miles. Apparently all within spec for VAG.

Never saw any blue smoke so never was sure where it went....

Yes, I had a new 1.8 A4 back in '96 and it was not dissimilar to yours over several years' ownership, maybe a bit worse towards the end. Hellishly wasteful and expensive though.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I owned Audi's back in the late 70's early 80's and I never remember them using any oil.

·
Registered
38,421 Posts
My Golf V5 20V didn't need any topping up between changes, in fact the level on the dipstick barely moved.

I know some of the 4 cylinder engines can be rather oil thirsty though.

Someone I work with has an 08 plate Skoda superb with a 2.0 8 valve engine and he said he is always having to top the oil up.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Do any of you VW fans out there know if this is a weakness on VW engines? Oil consumption is something from the past I thought (TS engines)
My T/Spark (1.8) only weeps oil at the rocker cover... otherwise it doesn't lose any oil at all. I put in less than half a litre between 12,000 miles services. :thumbs:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
:wow:

No mention of this when the advertising tells folks how brilliant cars they are.
To be fair, it doesn't seem like they are broken at all.... they just seem to use oil. Its a cost consideration of sorts, but although my A4 used to like a slurp of oil it was utterly reliable and never cost me much to service. I owned it from new til it was around 5 years old and we only sold it due to too many kids otherwise it was a great motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts