Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am going to view a 156 T Spark Veloce 1.8 (2004).

Can anyone give me any advice on things to look out for (alfa related, known problems) whilst doing my standard checks as this would be my first alfa.

It only has 28,000 miles and the cambelt hasn't been done yet, and should have as its older than 3 years. I am going to take this into consideration on the asking price. I have a question on that too. Is there 2 belts which have to be fitted and also should the water pump be done too or should that be ok?

Many Thanks

Dash

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
Needs cambelt including the tensioner and idlers. Worth changing the auxiliary belt as well, maybe do the tensioner too or at least suggest that needs doing to the current owner as a way of knocking the price down. Being the 1.8 there is no balancer shafts, and consequently no balance belt, these only appear on the 2.0 TS and 2.0 JTS.

·
0 Posts
Get the cambelt ASAP - knock £500 ish off the price for that

Service history is a 'must'

Check for clonking / squeeking suspension

Ask how often the oil was / is checked by the current owner

Not a definitive list by any means, but a starter for ten :)

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I have to say that if it's coming up 5 years old, and the owner hasn't bothered to change the cambelt in that time - that would suggest that they aren't a very conscienscous owner which would then concern me over other regular maintenance.

These cars NEED a caring owner to remain reliable. An owner who hasn't changed the cambelt in 5 years isn't one of those so you'd wonder about oil levels etc.

There's a lot of these cars for sale - if you aren't in a rush why not look for one that's got a better service history and an enthusiastic owner? This one might be cheap, but then again it might cost you a lot in a short period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts