Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm tempted to go back to a 166 from my 159 JTDM. I used to have a mint 166 Super with Zender body kit but it was just getting too expensive to run with the fuel costs etc.

I'm tempted to go back to a 166 facelift Twin Spark now that fuel prices are a bit more sensible. I've had the 159 for a few years and it's a fabulous, fault free car but I cannot shake off the looks of a 166 FL in TI guise.

I was gutted to miss out on a brunello red 166 2.0 FL TI on the AROC site recently. What a stunning-looking car in a very rare colour. I love that brunello red!

Anyway, I wonder if it's just a phase or if anyone thinks I'm mad to think about doing this, especially when the 159 is so reliable and sorted. I think it's an itch I need to scratch and would be very tempted if a nice 2.0 TI came up!

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Uncle I'd not put you off.
I think the F/L 166 is one of the best looking cars ever.
My only gripe is the full cream interior as opposed to the mix of cream and black in the pre F/L.

Reactions: Pomeo

·
Registered
471 Posts
Unless it's a 159 TI, I do like more my 166 TI than normal 159s.
But a 159 TI with that 19" wheels is so amazing!
Normal 166 vs normal 159, I think I'd go with 159, mainly for the parts availability, newer electronics, etc.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Not at all Unkle.
Welcome back to the mad hoose.
I think I put it on record that ewe were MAD tay leaf.:thumbup:

Then your 166 wood still have been the best of all . But a twinkle Unkle? Thought ewe were a V6 er.

Uncle I'd not put you off.
I think the F/L 166 is one of the best looking cars ever.
My only gripe is the full cream interior as opposed to the mix of cream and black in the pre F/L.
TIa (&Pomeos) ur ALL BLACK,,,,IF ewe are a loud tay say that nooadays. Did they have to change their name?

Went you getting a new one? (Well no NEW but ewe ken watt eye mean).

Pomeo

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm tempted to go back to a 166 from my 159 JTDM. I used to have a mint 166 Super with Zender body kit but it was just getting too expensive to run with the fuel costs etc.

I'm tempted to go back to a 166 facelift Twin Spark now that fuel prices are a bit more sensible. I've had the 159 for a few years and it's a fabulous, fault free car but I cannot shake off the looks of a 166 FL in TI guise.

I was gutted to miss out on a brunello red 166 2.0 FL TI on the AROC site recently. What a stunning-looking car in a very rare colour. I love that brunello red!

Anyway, I wonder if it's just a phase or if anyone thinks I'm mad to think about doing this, especially when the 159 is so reliable and sorted. I think it's an itch I need to scratch and would be very tempted if a nice 2.0 TI came up!

Cheers!
I had this dilemma several months ago and sold my 159 Ti for a 166. The 159 in Ti disguise is an absolute stunner, but IMO the whole package does not measure upto a 166. The latter is absolutely the older car, but the build quality, ride, and interior space, to name just a couple of things, are far superior. After two years with a 159, it was a car I liked, as much for the looks as anything, but it always fell short of my two 166s. When a 166 2.0 Ti came up for sale, that decided it for me. Three months later, and I haven’t looked back. I was concerned that the engine wouldn’t match upto the two previous V6s, and it doesn’t. But for 90% of my driving, the 2.0TS is a very capable engine, and coupled with good mpg, gives me everything I need.

You lavish praise on your 159, and rightly so as it’s a very good car, yet you’re still considering a 166. I have been there. What it tells me is the 166 is a very special car, and few cars some close to adequately replacing it. Bide your time and wait for a well sorted one to come along.

The brunello red 166 you refer to is stunning. It definitely beats the blacks and silvers hands down.

http://www.aroc-uk.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-166-for-sale-10

·
Registered
930 Posts
Agreed - there is something about a 166 - that nothing before or since has come close. I had a 159 on loan for a while. I liked it - i liked it a lot - but it didn't get into my soul the way the 1st 166 did. It is a very special machine.....

Of course, parts electrics etc. are things to be considered but no-one buys an alfa with their mind - always with the heart

·
Registered
129 Posts
ditto!

My 166 is at alfatecnico having its cambelt done and the loan car is a 159 JTDM 2.4 Ti

I like it a lot, but it'd be #2 behind the 166.

To be fair though I'm not after a sports car - I want a fast GT so where the 166 is relaxing, the 159 feels on edge, harder ride, louder engine
There's oomph to overtake on a straight.

..but mainly it's because the arm rest is in the wrong place! I can't put my arm on it - either my arm is a funny length or it's just plain wrong.
The 166 has that little pad 'mini arm rest' on the door - such attention to detail..

37mpg though.. not 22.. £500 a year in fuel saved..

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never been inside a 159, so no idea on that part.
About the power, 159 and 166 weight the same, 30lb difference.
Outside UK we had 175 and 185hp JTD 2.4 engines on the FL 166, so it'll be almost as fast as the 159.
On the TS 2.0 however, I think it would feel pretty heavy. Same on the first generation 166, had the JTD 2.4 136hp.

But you're right, no one buys alfas with mind, just with the heart (or blind and they say its a VW :heh: )
There is a big problem with alfas that didn't suceed, like 156 crosswagon unique suspension parts no longer being produced.
The 166 was the less sold "street" alfa car (4c and 8c aren't taken in consideration)...
I have a lot of fear that a very rare and special part breaks, and I won't find it on scrapyards... I'm sure that Alfa no longer produces lots of the car parts!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some interesting points there. Think I'll keep my ear to the ground for a nice 166 TS Facelift. I can't justify the running cost of a V6 anymore with the mileage I do. I really miss my old Super. It was stunning and has subsequently been ruined and sold on Ebay a couple of times since my ownership. A sad demise frankly and totally incomprehensible to me.

I do enjoy driving the 159 and it is near perfect in every way having fully sorted all the pesky DPF issues with a re-map and core-out etc. I would just like to get back to petrol for everyday motoring. I love the look of the FL 166 so, if a low mileage TS TI comes up, I'd certainly be interested. Could be in for a long wait though!

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
486 Posts
What amount of juice would a twinny use? In a heavy 166 it must be somewhere around the 0.75-8.0L/100km mark.
My old 156 2.5 (with 3.0 inlets I must add) used 8.5L/100km after the inlet mod. Can't imagine it would use that much more in a 166. The larger inlet runners seemed to free the engine up a bit (and that was without a remap).

166 2.5 or 166 2.0? I know what I'd choose. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hen's teeth I think...

Some interesting points there. Think I'll keep my ear to the ground for a nice 166 TS Facelift. I can't justify the running cost of a V6 anymore with the mileage I do. I really miss my old Super. It was stunning and has subsequently been ruined and sold on Ebay a couple of times since my ownership. A sad demise frankly and totally incomprehensible to me.

I do enjoy driving the 159 and it is near perfect in every way having fully sorted all the pesky DPF issues with a re-map and core-out etc. I would just like to get back to petrol for everyday motoring. I love the look of the FL 166 so, if a low mileage TS TI comes up, I'd certainly be interested. Could be in for a long wait though!
HowManyLeft - Q3 2015
ALFA ROMEO 166 T.SPARK 90
ALFA ROMEO 166 TSPARK LUSSO 79
ALFA ROMEO 166 TSPARK TURISMO 1

Not sure which a Ti would be in, but there's only 170 in total1 fair few SORN but most are probably in the hands of breakers

These are pre-FL
ALFA ROMEO 166 T-SPARK 16V 44
ALFA ROMEO 166 T.SPARK LUSSO 10

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I've had a 159 Ti saloon and have to say that they are without reproach styling wise, simply THE most gorgeous saloon made in the last couple of decades.
I owned a 166 3.0 V6 super also, and for me if you could ditch the awful ICE system then the 166 would beat a 159 every time in the ownership stakes. For me they are now where near as pretty as a 159, but they have a style and class of their own, I love 'em. So to your original statement, I would say defiantly not, go for it.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good Scotty but mileage is a little high IMO.....
Yes, don't think this will be anywhere near the condition I'm looking for unfortunately and too many miles...

Reactions: Pomeo and Mufasa

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Fair enough. Thought I'd post it just in case.

Miles for me don't put me off a car but I understand other things wear rather than the engines more so.
*Looks at suspension parts*

If Neil did it cheaper I'd probably bite his arm off at it then put my lpg on it.
166 comfort with the running costs of a toyota yaris.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Though I'm the only insane. Surprised to read some other went the same path as I did.

Had and still have a 159 SW TI 2.0 JTDm from new. As the other said. Styling outside and inside is amazing. It counts for berlina even more.

I always wanted an Alfa since I sat once in a 164. And when 156 came out I was bewitched. When I was making the choice I picked a diesel because I was too much focused on the consumption. Never had any serious petrol before so could not imagine how big the gap could be when it comes to driving experience.

After registering on the forum. Getting to know gotcha with his 147 GTA I decided to find me a 156 GTA. Since then I bought a 145 QV for bad weather and now finally a 166 3.2 TI. A high milage car with some issues to be fixed. However I love it. Not giving up my 159 as none will pay me how much the car is worth. But there is not much choice in the 159 if you want a decent petrol. 166 is stunning in a 3.0, 3.2 and I'm sure in a 2.0 TS as well. The TwinSpark has so much character in it I would not be afraid of it either. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Simple solution; do what I have done.

Get the wife an '11 plate 159 SW Ti 2.0JTDM (everything except Nav ICS), for family duties, and I can then run around in my 166 3.2 Ti.
Good Morning Early, Long time no squeak.

IIRC an UNKLE question was should a real TI have Lusso badge on wings?

Mines has all the usual TI spec but only has Luss on one side and sso on the other.
Real faded TI badge tho.

Gi'en the amount of 166's Scottyf has rejected and how pernickety Unkle is I don't think they'll ever get one and I reckon I have more chance of winning the Lotto AND Euromillions twiced in the same week.

Pomeo

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good Morning Early, Long time no squeak.

IIRC an UNKLE question was should a real TI have Lusso badge on wings?

Mines has all the usual TI spec but only has Luss on one side and sso on the other.
Real faded TI badge tho.

Gi'en the amount of 166's Scottyf has rejected and how pernickety Unkle is I don't think they'll ever get one and I reckon I have more chance of winning the Lotto AND Euromillions twiced in the same week.

Pomeo
Not being "pernickety" as you put it, just questioning the legitimacy of the badging / model. I'm not sure if the Lusso/TI badging is correct for a TI, that's all. Plus, the 3.2 TI listed (again) on Ebay has a dubious history as you mentioned yourself.

I'm in no hurry to find one either but, if the right car comes up, I'd be interested. Being fussy pays off - I've been fortunate enough to own one of the best 166s out there and the same with my old 164 QV (until it self-combusted!).

If I win the lottery, I'll let you know - once I've bought my Disco Volante! :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts