Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What's your thoughts on this?

Surely when I am getting a quote it's just a case of putting in a voluntary excess that adds up to a total of £250 and the quotes will be lower than my usual £0 excess. ?

Have read the terms and conditions and it seems to say it will may out any £250 excess.

Where's the catch ?

Or am I just too cynical?

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Some insurers set a compulsory excess so it becomes impossible to get a zero excess quote. I imagine in this case GoCompare are saying they will pay out to cover the compulsory plus any voluntary up to £250. No doubt the commission they receive will cover their costs and be built into the original quote.
I have noticed in the past when trying to get the total of the voluntary plus compulsory excess to come to a certain value that as the voluntary excess is reduced the compulsory goes up (but by a lesser amount).

·
Administrator
46,718 Posts
When a company offers you a discount on a price that you can't see before the discount is applied, and which they work out invisibly with no way of you telling whether it's right or not - what does the discount mean?

In reality, this 'offer' changes nothing. Check their prices, check other people's prices. Go with the cheapest overall price from a supplier you're comfortable using which has the right terms for you.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here's the results for my 156 from GoCompare:

£0 voluntary excess & £95 compulsory : £260
£100 voluntary excess & £0 compulsory: £240
£250 excess & £0 compulsory : £240

Was cheaper than other main comparison websites and they still had excess to pay....so it's a no brainer.

So taking the £100 excess at £20 cheaper.....not that much but better in my pocket. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Insurance deserves cynicism. Came across someone who crashed themselves without any involved parties, they didn't want to claim on the insurance but needed recovery.

Their breakdown cover included in the insurance didn't cover coming out for pulling the vehicle out, they ended up needing to pay a 3rd party to remove said vehicle...

Always a way to worm out of something for insurers :mad:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Insurance deserves cynicism. Came across someone who crashed themselves without any involved parties, they didn't want to claim on the insurance but needed recovery.

Their breakdown cover included in the insurance didn't cover coming out for pulling the vehicle out, they ended up needing to pay a 3rd party to remove said vehicle...

Always a way to worm out of something for insurers :mad:
I don't wish to becoe the insurance companies' defender, but that story is ridiculous.

Your mate was insured against accidents. The insurance includes recovery. The buffoon chose not to claim.

Your mate was insured against breakdowns. The buffoon tried to claim against it for accident costs.

And you blame the insurance company... Doh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts