Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I hope you guys are well. I would just like to know what's the go-to tires you usually purchase for your car? I'm thinking of getting new wheels and tires. Is it true that the Michelin pilot sport cup isn't made with the normal 8mm? Any insights on Nitto? I heard its also a nice budget tire.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
I normally go for Goodyear Eagles personally, or if feeling a bit less flush Falkens.

I wouldn't go for budget tyres, as I have never found them to perform as well or last as long as more premium makes. They either don't grip and last forever or grip well and last 5 mins.

The current Bimmer is on Uniroyal rainsport 5's and I am not that impressed with them.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
That's the first person I've heard not keen on the Rainsports.

I'm running Michelin PS4S as wheel size limits my choice somewhat - and really rate them, like Symon, I've also run Goodyear Eagles and also their EfficientGrip Performance series and highly reccomend.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
Right from the beginning I wasn't keen on them. The RS3 were good but worse out fast, these don't grip as well and have a harder and noisier ride, but they do seem to be lasting longer.

They are not a bad tyre, just not a Great one like a Goodyear Eagle F1

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Alfaza, you don't say which model you have and the size of your tyres. You will find from reviews that certain tyres suit certain cars and certain sizes. I use Goodyear Eagles on my GTV and Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance on my Giulietta.
If you don't recognise the name of a manufacturer leave them alone. Budget tyres are not a wise choice unless you wish to explore the ditches at the side of the road.
Nitto are a subsidiary of Toyo who do have a good reputation but why go for the budget tyre on an Alfa? The actual saving over a premium tyre works out to be less than you might think over time.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Michelin PS3s or 4s are my default unless there is a really good reason not to. Reasonably priced, long lived and I've never had an unwarranted "moment" with them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Eagle F1s, used them on my Ford Puma all those years ago. Then messed around with various cars for awhile.

Used Toyo TR1 (I think?), Khumos, Yokohamas and various part worn stuff which outlived my ownership.

Only ever used Goodyears on the Busso Alfa 156 but they're now Eagle F1 Asymmetric.

I'd NEVER go a true budget brand and would seek to have them taken off any car ASAP. Stuff like Nangkangs were "acceptable" back in the day but still not something you'd put much faith in. The random Chinese/Russian remoulds were literally dangerous to drive. I remember having a mk1 MR2 and almost losing control at 30 mph randomly because it had some sort of weird Russian tyre. Friends have used all sorts of madness like "Woosung Dark Horse" and "Ling Longs" although they did survive to tell the stories!

My Busso costs me enough to run, might as well go all in and buy the best tyres available...

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
It's safe to say that whatever you choose, someone will think they are crap. Landsails and Davantis seem to be the tyres of choice at my local tyre place. People seem quite happy driving about on them. An old dear in a Hyundai Getz probably isn't pushing the envelope enough to reach their limits though.

I do know people who insist that premium brands are essential, then drive around on them until the cords are showing. I've not tested the theory but I'd guess that a Goodyear Eagle with no tread and bits of reinforcement sticking out will be shamed in the wet by a newish Accelera.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It's safe to say that whatever you choose, someone will think they are crap.
The big problem with tyres is that you can't test a range of different ones on the same car before you buy. It's only if you buy new tyres and they throw you off the road that you get much information. Once had a new set that squealed "Yokohama!" at every roundabout. I take the same approach as rxe, with a default (Michelin) because they've always been fine. I suspect they are better in the wet than other makes I've had, but that might be an illusion. Oh, and my Alfa came with Pirellis and they're fine too.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
Try owning a Honda CR-V which has a tyre size more commonly found on vans. Your choice is largely limited to off-road tyres which are woeful on wet tarmac, actual van tyres last for ever but offer limited grip, and a handful of okey-cokey 2000 type brands from China.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I've always gone mid range in my tyre choice as my driving style doesn't really warrant the highest performance of a premium tyre. Avon Z1s currently adorn the barge and they go round and do what I expect.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
I have had a few cars with different tyres here are my experiences with a few brands

Michelin- Excellent
Dunlop- Very good
Goodyear- Excellent
Falken - Very good
Uniroyal- Good
Delinte- Average
Pirelli - Average
Nankang - poor
Avon- Average
Cooper - Average
Event - Poor/dangerous

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I have always gone for whatever the manufacturer put on when new. That meant Michelin on the Saxo and Xsara and Continental on the Giulietta. Given the mileage I get out of the Conti's on the Giulietta I have never seen any reason to change.
However the Saxo needs two new front tyres (they were subject to an advisory on the MOT last September). Checking the various internet sites I find there is no longer a Michelin in the required size, 155/70 R13 75T, so came to this thread for a lead on an alternative. The mileage the Saxo does is now less than 2,000pa and virtually all within the town limits (30/40mph) so I am thinking a premium tyre might be a bit excessive. Three brands have come up in lower mid range, Kormoran (from ASDA Tyres) which is apparently majority owned by Michelin; Toyo which is more widely available and Avon which I have heard of. I know nothing about either Kormoran or Toyo so any information would help. I was surprised that, while the Toyo is graded C for fuel efficiency, the Avon is only graded E, as is the Kormoran.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
I wouldn't go too much on the official EU ratings some Linglongs are better rated than mid spec Goodyears, and the tyre makes score the tyres themselves.

Official comparative tyre tests are a good way of determining which are better, as most people would struggle to tell the differece in normal road use. Unless of course an emergency occured and sudden braking or change of direction was needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ling Longs were the ultimate in ditch finders outside of remoulds back in the day. I doubt they've improved much now...

Even going OEM tyres wouldn't be the best idea imo if the car is older as tyre tech does advance somewhat.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Presumably one way to improve fuel efficiency is to reduce grip and therefore rolling resistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts