Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the 164 having way loads of issues with the engine management system. We've decided to make the leap and replace the lot. :crazy: Not the normal choice, but we're not prepared to pay R7500 Ex vat for a MAF plus ??? for a ignition modules and and, when a GoTech kit for the 164 sells for R5000. I'm going to get them to install it, then there is no excuse for it not to run any more.

Ok purists, you can now shout at me and get it out of your systems.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I was going to say something but then realised some of us are driving classics with VW distributors on them, and the biggest part of the joy of owning an alfa is not having one in the garage, but driving one on the street so you go, whatever it takes to get her going! :thumbs:

It's not necessary to replace the ECU when modifying the engine, but it may be necessary to replace it if it stops working!:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
If it works, its nothing to be smirked at, you may even get better economy as the Go-tech is very tunable..... alternatively, you could free up a few more horses and forget abouir the economy ;)
Either way, good luck , I hope this sorts out the problem......

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
As long as it works...GoTech and Dastek etc are designed to make dificult things that came so from teh factory, simple.

So if you car will run with GoTech...do eeeet!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to say something but then realised some of us are driving classics with VW distributors on them
Really, VW distro's? Do you have to mod them to get it on or is it a direct swap?

, and the biggest part of the joy of owning an alfa is not having one in the garage, but driving one on the street so you go, whatever it takes to get her going! :thumbs:
Try having 2 in the garage and no way to get where you need to go. :cry:

It's not necessary to replace the ECU when modifying the engine, but it may be necessary to replace it if it stops working!:cool:
True and true.

krasch told me he gained quite a few horsepower by just adding Gotech to one of his 3.0 24v's.
Cool, I hope so. ATM, I just want it to start and run when I turn the key. This BS of never knowing if I go someplace whether or not I'm getting home tonight, or coming home on the back a flatbed, just doesn't cut the cheese anymore. Not, when I've got a 4 month old in the back seat

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Really, VW distro's? Do you have to mod them to get it on or is it a direct swap?
Some people on here spoke about it a while ago, see El4romeo's Nord Distrubutor Mod thread. Apparently you get rid of points and condensor by fitting the VW dizzy to it. As far as I know, all my father's giuliettas had electronic distributors so I know nothing of modifying them. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Stand alone management works perfect.
The only thing you loose is the knock sensors.
So that bit is up to the tuner and is very difficult to check

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Glad to see u at least found the problem, I dont think badly of your choice at all, technologie is there to help us , so if it makes the car run better and keeps u and the family from being stuck, its well worth it, go fot it, if it works for u please give me feedback, could be an option for the 75 as well:cool:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Stand alone management works perfect.
The only thing you loose is the knock sensors.
So that bit is up to the tuner and is very difficult to check
If I remember correctly the 164 do not have a knock sensor to start of with same as the 155 2.5.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
You will definitely gain a couple of HP with the standalone management all depending on the tuner.

K

·
0 Posts
You will gain more power and better fuel consumption. You will no longer have a afm with a restrictive flap in the intake system in your car. I have three gotechs on 164 based engines.
Once its installed and dynoed it does take two more tweaks after that to get cold start idle and other minor holes in maps sorted . I would budget more than 5000 as you need installation and mapping etc . I can get you all the standard maps. Note all 164 24v have knock sensors but we dont use them as there is far less detonation on the 24v head than the old 12v head.
Sorry probably did not read properly but who is doing installation etc .
Unichip is nothing like a gotech . I had a unichip , its merely a piggy back system not a replacemnt system.
On a purists note : gotech was originally designed for alfa engines by an alfa nutter.
Your resale will also be far better with a gotech

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok update.

@TN, the 164 does have knock senesors but mine is poked anyway.

@Krasch, I got a full quote before I commited. R9500 total cost supplied, fitted and tuned. However they found the fault that Chris and Tony couldn't. So It's got a new injector harness. Collecting it in a few hours.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Great.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
On the older cars it is easy to keep everything working.
On the cars with the ECU on the manifold it becomes difficult.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad news, the trouble is still with me and now it's died and I'm stuck @ the office in befordview.

It'll need to go back for the ECU. to be done. However the guys are going to be nice about and deduct the cost of this repair from the total cost of the install.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I think they need 2.4’s.:lol:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Mine's stuffed and it's a 2.4 :confused: I pick it up on Wednesday, apparantly some cracked pipes from the Turbo cause the whistle and lack of power delivery, and a courtesy service and oil change was done. Hoping all will be well...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts