Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my rear pads need replacing and when I gave AC a call they quoted me a price of R1,900. Now I can buy them but I would prefer to save money.

Does anyone know which pads I can get locally that will work on the Guilietta MA?

I see that according to the Ferodo site the code for their pads is: FDB4308 but I cant find them locally on google.

I found Ferodo pads for £38,98 (R860) and another R360 for shipping. But does anyone know what level of tax I could expect on this?

EDIT: Well it seems that I am answering my own questions tonight.

If I import the pads from Amazon and ship them to SA it will cost me R1300... because SA Duties are 10% for brake pads coming from the EU.
Then I take them to my local tyre place, get them fitted for R300... and oh my... still cheaper than the R1900 quoted by AC.

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
why not give paul at safety brake and clutch in randburg.. pricing is good

011-792-2425/6 or 072-744-9158 or 083-357-6262

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
all of those for rear other than ferodo are a tad much for rear pads.. not saying you dont need a good pad. but dont need to go overboard

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all of those for rear other than ferodo are a tad much for rear pads.. not saying you dont need a good pad. but dont need to go overboard
Well lets see what Paul can offer and then I can make an informed decision. I am heading through to JHB on Saturday so popping into Randburg will be easy.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
you don't want up-specced pads on the rear unless you do the same on the front or the car will want to swap ends under hard braking

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
you don't want up-specced pads on the rear unless you do the same on the front or the car will want to swap ends under hard braking
Yup no need to spec up the rear. Luckily modern EBD will make sure you don't swap ends, but still a waste of money.

Get the cheapest rear pads (of a known brand) you will be fine. Front go decent....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sadly I recently replaced the fronts (about 3 months ago) and I bought original spares thinking it would be impossible to get other brands... well had I known how much I'd save by ordering it from the UK I would have gotten better pads than the originals for less.

Gave Safety Brake and Clutch a call, they will get back to me with part availability and pricing.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
They come with automatic brake pressure regulation and automatic brake force distribution as standard so it would not be easy to make it swap ends. But hey, I read in the paper that some soldiers managed to roll a Ratel in Barkley West last weekend, so anything is possible... :irked:

Generally you are advised to do to the rear as you do to the front with regard to brake pad formulation and I will tell where this was really noticed:
I had racing pads fitted to the front of my Alfa 156 and the brakes were good, except that they needed time to warm up from a cold start but during this cold start period the car always felt more stable during braking than when braking hard with hot pads working efficiently. I noticed that the rears were working more effectively than the front brakes when cold and this improved rear end stability. The car stopped quicker with the uprated front pads, but it felt as if the rear end was "wagging" under severe braking.

My next set of brake pads were the same all round and the car felt so much more stable. of course I am not talking of overkill here, but it does sometimes pay to uprate your rear brakes similarly to the front.

Second example: GTV vs 159ti.

My GTV has 305mm ventilated discs in front and 240mm solid discs at the rear that look like tea cup saucers.
My 159 has 330mm ventilated discs in front and 284mm ventilated rear discs.

Both cars weigh within 80kg of each other (1450kg for the GTV vs 1530kg for the 159) with similar weight distribution. But the 159 brakes so much better than the GTV, and after a nice hot run you can feel the heat coming off the rear brakes on the 159 while I never really notice heat in the GTV rear brakes. For that reason I would say that it could be worthwhile to upgrade rear brakes on a GTV. The most common upgrade is fitting larger 254mm rear brakes from a 156. (The first 156's also had Lucas 240mm discs at the rear).

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Not sure who makes the calipers but the pads are Ferodo. You will see their stamp on the pads.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Well Steve @ Safety Brake and Clutch Edenvale has ordered me a set of Ferodos that cost R580. It shows how much Fiat Group/ the Dealers are making off it.
Not only hey. You need to know that ferodo is also making a killing selling their product to Alfa Romeo too. They will sell it to Alfa at more than the price they are selling it to us, because the Alfa product "conforms" to Alfa specification and their regular product "may perhaps not" conform. When in fact the cost of running two separate production lines for the same product is prohibitive meaning that you buy exactly what they are selling to Alfa so on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays the stamp everything with the Alfa badge. On Tuesdays and Thursdays the don't stamp it. Monday product goes to Alfa at R400 a pop, Tuesday product goes to Midas at R200 a pop... yet costs ferodo R50 to make...

The worst case of such extortion: The Reserve Bank. Like the reserve bank, the Mint is a private company. It's only client is the reserve bank. It makes them a R200 at a cost of 14c. The reserve bank takes that 14c product from the mint and sells it to you for R200. A piece of processed linen. And we all buy it but we complain about the cost of brakes? :cheese:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts