Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Hang on, this doesn't make any sense??

FGA is prospering, doing better and better every year and GM last I heard was on the verge of bankruptcy. Why would FGA want GM to save them??

Further, didn't Fiat and GM merge just over 10 years ago then split again? This is why the corsa, punto and Mito all share the same platform and why the fiat croma was a pile of poo. GM even use fiat diesels now.

I don't even trust the website either. It looks like a sensationalist/conspiracy tabloid.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
The issue is the usual one Marchionne keeps harping on about: overproduction. He's right, all the big cheese in the auto industry says he's right, and yet no one is taking action because car companies are doing well. Marchionne's arguing that's exactly when you should merge and strengthen your company, not when you're in a crisis. Oh well...

·
Registered
34,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If Fiat was doing well, the Giulietta and or Mito would be replaced by now and the facelift 500 would be more extensive ?
VW are busy dumping Polos in Italy against the Panda and the Passat in the UK against the Mondeo. The companies are waiting for somebody to fall of the table and remove the excess capacity and FCA look as vulnerable as anybody.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
I have never owned a GM car, and I don't think I ever will.

If Alfa are bought by GM they won't be selling any to me.

I would rather they were bought by VAG, as they at least know how to make interesting cars from time to time.

·
Registered
34,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Mito is based on a GM car and the 159 is on a GM base too. I've driven a Zafira and it was very depressing.

·
Registered
34,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm happy to remain Opel-less.
So, VW sales fell in the U.S. But Audi SUVs up to 17000 ,a 40 percent increase.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
If it secures the marque & allows for a range of cars to be built then yes, buy it.

·
Registered
34,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They didn't work Saab out very well, as you'd expect from any company with General in their name.

·
Registered
34,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactement! A banque lends money to people who have an idee. These
people pitch it to them and a General maker of autos does not have the cuore required to guide Alfa.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Marchionne?s uncomfortable truths | Autocar

Good (ish) article here. What it doesn't explain very well is that SM said for brands where the customer doesn't care or know about where the engine comes from (for example) then why not develop a common 4 cyl petrol engine. He is not on about premium stuff here, like Alfa.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
... which, let's be fair, is what happens already:

e.g. Very successful Suzuki Swift had a Fiat DERV unit in it.
I know people (okay, girls) who absolutely hate Fiat and would never buy one,
but loved their Swifts.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
... which, let's be fair, is what happens already:

e.g. Very successful Suzuki Swift had a Fiat DERV unit in it.
I know people (okay, girls) who absolutely hate Fiat and would never buy one,
but loved their Swifts.
My other half has a Swift Sport, and aside a minor disagreement with the 147 in the looks department, I love driving it. I haven't touched the 147 in two weeks because the Swift is so much fun to drive, I prefer using it. The engine is fantastic, much better than the CF3 TS I have for a car the same age.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Someone I know hates Alfas and Fiat, spouting the usualy drivel about them being unreliable, yet he loves his 1.9 Diesel Zafira.

I told him it was a Fiat engine, but he doesn't believe me!

It does say Vauxhall on the top I suppose. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts