Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about the really hard stuff that attaches such things as sat navs to dashboards. It is rock hard and really does look like it is bonded to the dash of my GTV. Anyone got any bright ideas on how to remove it? I've tried the solvent based removal sprays but didn't even scratch the surface. I'm not even sure nail polish remover would affect it either. Your help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Boiled white vinegar on a paper towel (use gloves) let it sit on the glue to soften it then try and remove it, used that on a leather settee and it worked ok.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I'd say petrol. :) Most tar removers are petroleum distillates... but soaking the glue in neat benzina (this doesn't work with diesel) might shift it.

Make sure the car is well ventilated... and don't stop for a ciggie while it's soaking.. :D

Failing that, acetone (nee "nail varnish remover") might shift it.

Acetone and petrol both dissolve different solvents so try both. If one doesn't work, the other still might.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Fortunately I don't smoke so I have no problems with working with petrol. I have ordered some superglue remover and have Autoglym tar remover in the garage so will give both a go. Really worried about using acetone on anything but may be the last resort. I'll post results. Can't believe I'm having to use my 33k beautiful vela blue V6 as an experimental test bed. Deep breaths.....

D

·
0 Posts
I have used wd40 to remove glue, its good for removing the external badge holding adhesive.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
WD40 is kerosene.. so it will have solvent abilities.. unless the glue isn't soluble in kerosene.

Acetone - try a teeeeny bit on an inconspicuous area in case it turns the dashboard to mush.. :D but dashboards can sit in the Australian sun for years without melting (UV cracks them eventually) so they're probably as indestructible as a plastic can get.

The other thing is to "do it in stages". Sometimes dissolving the top layer of the glue makes the remaining glue turn brittle and you can then pick it off with your nails. If you get some joy but it's hard work, leave it and do a bit more later.

If you get a bright sunny day.. that's a good time to give it a go. If the glue is hot, then it's more likely to come off.

Don't "scrub" at it though.. it's the solvent that's doing the work (dissolving the glue) so don't rub, just dab.. otherwise you'll get a shiny patch.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Nail varnish remover!!! Make sure it has acetone in it :) xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts