Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody shine any llight on the problem.

Have just driven home from work, whilst reversing into my garage, copious amount of smoke from the bottom pulley on the drivers side of the engine, also glowing red. Brera 2.4 jtd. Had cambelt etc done 12 months ago.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Can anybody shine any llight on the problem.

Have just driven home from work, whilst reversing into my garage, copious amount of smoke from the bottom pulley on the drivers side of the engine, also glowing red. Brera 2.4 jtd. Had cambelt etc done 12 months ago.
Schaeffler Automotive Aftermarket ? Online Catalogue, Product: Belt Pulley, crankshaft

Dampened Crank Pulley... seems to be a few of these going wrong of late. touch wood mine is ok at the moment.

The rubber bit fails, between the crank plate and pulley wheel. Failiure causes friction, friction causes heat, hence the glowing. probably best to get a replacement belt to boot (iirc Contitech 6PK1580)

sorry for the bad news :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Schaeffler Automotive Aftermarket ? Online Catalogue, Product: Belt Pulley, crankshaft

Dampened Crank Pulley... seems to be a few of these going wrong of late. touch wood mine is ok at the moment.

The rubber bit fails, between the crank plate and pulley wheel. Failiure causes friction, friction causes heat, hence the glowing. probably best to get a replacement belt to boot (iirc Contitech 6PK1580)

sorry for the bad news :(
Thanks for the reply, is tis a big job?

·
Registered
332 Posts
autodata says 0.80hr

wouldnt have thought it was that big... parts are in the regions of £100 if you threw it in a garage you'd be looking at about £50-60 fitting

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Did mine the other week, just like yours.

£109 for Pulley
£10 for 1/2" Ribe Set

I bought an Impact wrench to do the job, as I figured that even with that included it'd come to less than a garage.

Took me about about an hour (once my impact wrench was fully charged lol). Needed to cut down a 6mm Allen key to slacken off the belt tensioner ... that was about the hardest part :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts