Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon from sunny North Yorkshire.

A warning light and subsequent message has appeared on my 159 Lusso indicating that the pre-heating glow plugs are not available. Despite that, the car starts as normal from cold. The car (98,000 miles) is kept in a cool and locked garage when not in use, so it is unlikely that the recent very high ambient temperatures could have had an effect. Before I start searching for the cause, starting with the fuse, I'd welcome any thoughts that you might have.

Thanks and regards

·
Registered
798 Posts
Its always sunny up here in gods own county isnt it

Glow plugs are not the most expensive thing to buy , depending how old yours are, you could just change them anyway.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You could remove them from the engine and test them by connecting the body of them to the negative of the battery (Using a jump lead) and then using the red jump lead connecting it to the top of the glow plug briefly (Where the plug normally goes) You should see the tip heat up and glow. Only do it briefly though and make sure it's not sat on something that will burn!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
New glow plugs and relay sorted this out for me.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Or leave them in and Test with a meter see what resistance is centre pin to body. Also when you put key in make sure glow timer is putting 12v out to them.

If you end up changing them make sure you do with an engine that’s been warmed up,use a 1/4 ratchet and do in a back and forth fashion until it is nice and loose to try and prevent breaking it/them

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good evening - it's still sunny up here!

Many thanks to you all for your very helpful replies; I'll run through the test procedure first with my meter. The glow plugs are the originals (2008), so there could be one or more failures. I'm sure that my very helpful local dealer, Alexanders of Teesside, will have replacements in stock.

Thanks and regards

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Easy to test them in place if you have a multi meter, the connector will lift off with the help of a flat blade screwdriver in the slot and then test them for reststance with the meter set to ohms, the failed one or more will be an open circuit.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I test glow plugs on a daily basis. I have 150+ hgv's to manage and keep on the road!
More often than not it's a relay. However easiest way to check is to remove all of them. Reattach the + loom and earth a large metal baking tray to prevent melting anything important! Lay them flat.
Get a helper to turn on ignition for a few seconds. Check that they all glow evenly and around the same time in those few seconds. If one or two are slow... Replace... If none glow, replace the relay and try again. Job done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts