Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2006 alfa 159 JTDM and sometimes when I start my car I get a message saying glow plugs not available, I just had my battery changed the other day, it was only then that the message started to come up, does anyone know if the two would be related, I'm goIng off for a weeks holidays and I am afraid it won't start when I get back, all comments and advice are appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had this on mine...
Tried a new battery, nothing and then cleaned the battery terminals and still nothing.
So I gave in and brought a new set of glow plugs around £50 and all was sorted :)
Personally test voltage on battery first, with this you should also be able to make out if the alternator is charging correctly.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Had this also, check each glow plug with a multi meter chances are one of them has failed and needs replacing as was the case on mine, £12 for a new glow plug and very easy to change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks people, appreciate all that, I'll get them checked I'll probably need to replace than, I doubt that the battery is the cause because it is brand new.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had this also, check each glow plug with a multi meter chances are one of them has failed and needs replacing as was the case on mine, £12 for a new glow plug and very easy to change.
£12?! The cheapest I could get decent NGK glow plugs was £17 + VAT. The Alfa stealer wanted £27+VAT for the OEM version.

On mine, one had failed. I replaced that and a second one failed within a few seconds of the next cold start. Since then, touch wood, the rest have been fine.

On FES, the error was reported as a slow response from the glow plug ECU or something similar.

Ian A.

·
Registered
151 Posts
How easy are these to change on the 2.4? I have ordered some and intend to tackle the job as I can just about work a spanner. Is it just a case of popping the terminals off and unscrewing? The second from the left looks a bit deep in the engine - any tips?

I am also getting the pollution filter blocked warning occasionally when starting, I have a feeling that this is related due to smokey, un-heated starts. It goes away as soon as the enigine has fired propperly. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Got a torque wrench and extender for the sockets, as well as some copper grease, although I have no intention of doing this again (will grease anyway as a courtesy to the next owner). Anyone know the correct torque setting, or is it a case of trying to gauge it on the old ones? Not sure this is an accurate method if they have a tendency to stick.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Done - very easy as others have suggested. I needed a deep socket, but this was easily obtained from B&Q for less that £3. Torque setting is on the new plugs box (about 8Nm if anyone's interested)
One thing I would say is that there is no need to remove the plastic covers on the leads, which seem to serve no obvious purpose, it's also much easier to remove the leads

·
Registered
238 Posts
Against the face of common advice, I'd be tempted to replace all 4/5. I've been replacing one at a time and they've been going sequentially at the rate of 1 per week (replaced 3 now). Literally sequentially, starting from the battery side and working their way across the engine. I'm fed up of ordering the damned things and clearing the ECU errors so I'm going to replace the other two once I can obtain some more.

When you think about it, they've all been subject to roughly the same wear so once one goes, the other ones probably aren't that healthy either.

I'd have saved quite a bit by ordering 5 instead of 1 at a time :(

Ian A.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Against the face of common advice, I'd be tempted to replace all 4/5. I've been replacing one at a time and they've been going sequentially at the rate of 1 per week (replaced 3 now). Literally sequentially, starting from the battery side and working their way across the engine. I'm fed up of ordering the damned things and clearing the ECU errors so I'm going to replace the other two once I can obtain some more.

When you think about it, they've all been subject to roughly the same wear so once one goes, the other ones probably aren't that healthy either.

I'd have saved quite a bit by ordering 5 instead of 1 at a time :(

Ian A.
+1 :thumbs:

·
Registered
151 Posts
That was my thought, and I don't have a volt meter thingy, so would have been trial and error. Also the bonus of getting scuffed knuckles only once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts