Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some trouble with cold starts lately. I will be replacing the crank sensor as soon as new one arrives but in the mean time i have been trying my glow plugs.

I bought some replacement ones, (cheap naff fleabay, dont start..!) and they have a resistance of 1.5/1.6 Ohms this seems a bit high and has been giving me a glow plug error on the dash.

The old bosch ones i removed (which onced cleaned up look fine and may well go back in) read around 1.1 Ohms. This still seems a little high still but better than the others as lower resistance means more current > more heat.

My question is... can anyone confirm what they should read brand new/functioning correctly? I estimate this should be around 0.7 Ohms? If so is this what a brand new set of Bosch ones read?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whilst we're on the topic, stay away from cheap ebay imatations. Go for brands you have heard of!

When i was fitting one of these cheap glow plugs it sheared as i was tightening (under the torque spec). Everyone had warned me of the danger of the old ones snapping in the head when removing, but i did not expect one to snap on the way in! Luckily i was able to carefully drill the head part out and simply pull the core out without damaging the threads or needing to spend more money.

F

·
0 Posts
Hi,
I've just had the flashing glow plug warning light on my 2.4 JTDm. When the glow plugs fail they go high resistance. Not just slightly, but completely (ie open circuit). I checked mine - they're between 1 and 2 ohms - the resistance of your multimeter test probes and dirtiness of the metal contact will make the biggest difference to the readings - I wouldn't get picky over half an Ohm. The dead one was open circuit! The Bosch glow plugs on mine (Bosch Part: 0 250 203 001) are also capable of a thing called "afterglow" where after the initial starting, the plugs are active to reduce diesel clatter and improve emissions for a short while after the engine starts. I wouldn't recommend cheap ones and would replace like with like. I used "The Green Spark Plug Company" who seem very good. Oh yes, don't bother replacing them as a set - they are not spark plugs - you wouldn't replace all the bulbs in your chandalier if one went, would you?
If *all* your BOSCH glow plugs have resisitance of a couple of Ohms I'd put my money on the glow plug control unit.

Best of luck with it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts