Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Glow plug pre heater not available?

9K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  grogee1975 
#1 ·
Went out to the 159 today and went to start as usual (it's a 2007 1.9 jtd SW ) it started but not as quickly as usual, when it did start the message "Glow plug heater not available" came on in the info screen and the glow plug light flashed for a while, am guessing this is a faulty glow plug OR heater relay / relay box etc?

I've only had it three weeks and so far it's had a recon steering rack and an EGR valve, now this !!! 30 years in the business and still have not learnt to expect the unexpected with these bloody cars! Anyone one else had this glow plug heater fault and rectified?

Bar Humbug.................

#2 ·
Hi Langdon, sorry not had it fixed but mine (06 Lusso slaoon) has just started doin this :curses: not really a problem as weather bit warmer now but would like to get it sorted. if you get any assistance would be interested to know what it is. Good Luck.

#8 ·
When you take the cover off they're between the manifold and the fuel rail. You'll need to pull the black plastic connectors off them but thats not a problem. If you dont have a multimeter you can use a bit of wire from the battery live and just touch the other end on each plug one by one - if theres a spark then the plug should be ok but no spark and the plug's faulty.

#15 ·
So let me get this right? take off engine cover, disconnect connectors, turn ignition on, and then put a piece of wire from the live terminal to any part of the plug and iot should spark, yes?
Then you can give me a call for a new ecu or two:tut:

JUst use an ohmmeter to look for resistance on each plug,NO ignition on,but most of the time is the control unit ,not the plugs.

#16 ·
NO. Just to the terminal on top. Don't put a live wire to the body of the plug or it will go up in a puff of smoke. The plug body is direct to earth screwed into the head.
Testing plugs in this way is only a very rough test that will find a totally dead plug. If one has expired then I would change the lot.
Heater plugs on modern diesels only operate below around 3 deg. so this last few weeks have been working overtime. If one has failed it's not surprising and it would put the light on.

#12 ·
or if not keen on playing with live electric in engine bay use a multimeter set on ohms and test across the terminals check what resistance you get ( more than 0.1 Ohm = duff as stated above). if all read same either all duff or problem elsewhere!

basic car electrics 101 complete! :cheese:

#17 ·
Thanks Guys, I have the message "Glowplug not available" on my Brera. Reading this thread helped confirm that one of the five plugs is faulty (around 30 ohm). A couple of tips: The plastic connectors to the GP's can be tight. I used a loop of string dropped over the shoulder on the connectors to give extra purchase to pull the caps off. One hand to keep it straight, the other pulling the string to supply the grunt effort. Re: Using a live wire. For safety I suggest using a bulb (12V 5W-21W) with one side connected to live and the other as the probe to the GP terminal. This way if you touch the engine block the bulb simply lights (no kerboom). Touching the terminal should cause the bulb to be as bright as touching the engine, if its dim or off the GP is duff.

#18 ·
Another way to remove the connectors I have used is to get a narrow screwdriver into the little notch at the bottom. Carefully prise upwards while pulling/supporting with your other hand. Also I soaked it with WD40 for a few hours as you don't want to snap it off. Smear the new ones thread with a bit of copper grease before installation.
HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.