Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the error light for a while now. 3 glow plugs had high resistance, 1 was borderline, I replaced the 3 but the fault was still there. Fitting the last one fixed it, which goes to show how sensitive the system is
I cleaned the map sensor while I was there which was coked right up. I then gave it a full ecu reset and now it's like a new motor
All this was done in little over an hour and a quarter.
Great advice on this site as always.
Steve

·
Registered
665 Posts
Had the error light for a while now. 3 glow plugs had high resistance, 1 was borderline, I replaced the 3 but the fault was still there. Fitting the last one fixed it, which goes to show how sensitive the system is
I cleaned the map sensor while I was there which was coked right up. I then gave it a full ecu reset and now it's like a new motor
All this was done in little over an hour and a quarter.
Great advice on this site as always.
Steve
Any advise/tips or instructions on how to clean the map sensor ? Where do I start and what to look for .... Many thanks !

·
Registered
665 Posts
why ? whats is up with your car?
142k miles and a lot of black smoke ... Plugged the fiatecuscan today and only error code is for a glow plug. Had the egr valve replaced around 80k miles but when looking at the graph from fiatecuscan it seems the max value measured is about 42%. Car also seem to hesitate under 2k rev, a bit like if it was choking and then there is a power surge. Other than that I can't complain !!!

Reading from various post, i thought that cleaning the map might resolve the choking and black smoke

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
142k miles and a lot of black smoke ... Plugged the fiatecuscan today and only error code is for a glow plug. Had the egr valve replaced around 80k miles but when looking at the graph from fiatecuscan it seems the max value measured is about 42%. Car also seem to hesitate under 2k rev, a bit like if it was choking and then there is a power surge. Other than that I can't complain !!!

Reading from various post, i thought that cleaning the map might resolve the choking and black smoke
This is also similar to a failing EGR - one stuck open but power would cut in at closer to 2.5k revs in this case unless it is only partly closed. Do you make lots of short trips ? because this seems to cause the EGR to clog up more quickly. You can test the opening and closing with FES.

Also to check is the vacumn line to the turbo if this has even the smallest hole/split then the turbo vanes do not activate properly - there are threads on this issue (I just can not remember what the name of the valve that it operates is called).

Finally you should check all the turbo pipes for splits especially the lower one as this is know to rub a small hole and cause exessive smoke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts