Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many available, many different prices... Any recommendations? I don't want to go buying a set of 4 only to be giving myself a larger headache by receiving some duffers out of the box...

Denso, Bosch, NGK, Beru, Hidria, etc...

Jut started getting a glow plug error pop up on the dash... Removed the relay module and cleaned up the cables/connectors, made no difference... Tested the resistance between the plug pin and the engine block, got 1.4 Ohm on each plug.. So I've sourced a second-hand relay module for the princely sum of £10, so figured for less than the cost of 1 plug it was worth having a go at :thumbup:

If not, then plugs are getting swapped out!

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Many available, many different prices... Any recommendations? I don't want to go buying a set of 4 only to be giving myself a larger headache by receiving some duffers out of the box...

Denso, Bosch, NGK, Beru, Hidria, etc...

Jut started getting a glow plug error pop up on the dash... Removed and cleaned up the cables/connectors, made no difference... Tested the resistance between the plug pin and the engine block, got 1.4 Ohm on each plug.. So I've sourced a second-hand relay module for the princely sum of £10, so figured for less than the cost of 1 plug it was worth having a go at :thumbup:

If not, then plugs are getting swapped out!
Always used Bosch glow plugs and no issues so far in 3 years. :thumbs:

P.S. A note about your recent post about the MOT, I've asked Pud237 to fit me a Wizard downpipe when I bob up to Penrith, is this a mod you've had done which the tester had a small issue with? Cheers.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always used Bosch glow plugs and no issues so far in 3 years. :thumbs:

P.S. A note about your recent post about the MOT, I've asked Pud237 to fit me a Wizard downpipe when I bob up to Penrith, is this a mod you've had done which the tester had a small issue with? Cheers.
Bosch it probably is then... They're looking like one of the cheaper options!

Regarding the wizard pipe - that's the exact one I've got, and the exact one that caught me an MOT failure...

As far as I know I'm the only one to get caught by it (yet!), so I might have just been unlucky on the day... Otherwise, it's not too much of a pig of a job to swap the pipes over for the MOT... Make sure you keep hold of the original cat just in case!

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Bosch it probably is then... They're looking like one of the cheaper options!

Regarding the wizard pipe - that's the exact one I've got, and the exact one that caught me an MOT failure...

As far as I know I'm the only one to get caught by it (yet!), so I might have just been unlucky on the day... Otherwise, it's not too much of a pig of a job to swap the pipes over for the MOT... Make sure you keep hold of the original cat just in case!
Hmmm. To be honest things definitely seem to be getting more stringent especially with the diesel car, although given the recent decision on DPF's I'm not surprised that something similar covers the cats. Food for thought. :thumbs:

Reactions: _The_Editor_

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I bought a set of NGK ones from ebay in 2014 for £35. They have been fine. At the the time, bosch ones were £50+ ....but they seem to be similar price now on ebay, so I would get bosch.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I replaced one glow plug on my 159, Beru, from ECP.

Checked the length with the old one, job jobbed.

Best way to check them, I'm sure you know is across the battery to see if they "glow". I did that and only one failed, can't understand why people would want to replace all four.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced one glow plug on my 159, Beru, from ECP.

Checked the length with the old one, job jobbed.

Best way to check them, I'm sure you know is across the battery to see if they "glow". I did that and only one failed, can't understand why people would want to replace all four.
If one's gone, the others aren't far behind.. That's my thinking at least!

·
Registered
69 Posts
4x Bosch Glow Plug Set 0250203001 Diesel Glowplugs GLP043
£27.18 ebay
Put a set of these in mine a few weeks back seller (know_more_traffic) sends them pretty rapid.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I used beru. However, my car has always been a great starter whatever the weather even when the glow plug light used to flash. I changed them just to stop the dash light coming on.
I didn't have any deep sockets to fit the plug. I don't recommend the dedicated glow plug sockets on amazon. I purchased these and they are total junk.
Glow Plug Socket Set specifically for Fiat / Alfa / Lancia: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Utter junk. Just get a normal deep socket either 8 or 9 mm. Can't remember.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I know people think that, as you do, but I can't go along with that logic:thumbup:
just glowing isn't good enough... how long till they start glowing, and how big is the area that's glowing?

Oh, and this is the last geberation of diesel engines that you can check the glow plugs like that. Newer ones run on reduced voltage and are ruined immediately by 12v application.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the new relay module arrived, 10 days earlier than expected!

No change though, glow plug fault still present.

A new set of Bosch plugs it is!

Got some more parts for the spares shelf now though! Fuel filter assembly firewall bracket, and glow plug relay module.. Not bad for a tenner :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Final bit of follow up!

The Bosch plugs turned up (part no: 0250203001, thanks to a friendly Alfabooker I got them for a damned good price!), slipped in no problem, fired up first time, no more errors :thumbup:

Did a kitchen autopsy on the old ones... Heaviest build up on plug 4, and oily mess on the top of plug 4. Multi-meter confirmed Plug 4 was the culprit.. 1-3 all tested with a nice low resistance, plug 4 was about 300x higher!

Didn't manage to pick that up when testing with them installed in the engine mind... So I was obviously not doing it correctly.. In future I'll just be removing them and checking individually, as it really was an easy job to remove them...

So now I have 3 "probably good" plugs to go on the spares shelf ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
You have to disconnect them if you want to test while in the engine. Put one side of the multimeter on the ground of the battery, the other on top of the plug. If you don't disconnect, you're measuring all at the same time.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have to disconnect them if you want to test while in the engine. Put one side of the multimeter on the ground of the battery, the other on top of the plug. If you don't disconnect, you're measuring all at the same time.
Yea that's what I did..

I had assumed that the wire back to the relay module was an open circuit with key-off, so wouldn't have made a difference.. Still my mistake is someone else's gain! Hopefully someone else will find this thread and save themselves a bit of hassle!

But £25 for a full set of Bosch plugs, can't complain :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts