Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son put his Ipad into the glovebox and shut it. Now it won't open - the latch is all floppy. Car is out of warranty (2010)...I've rung the local dealer who said as it was Christmas they only had one engineer in and promised to ring back...they didn't.

Is there a way I can force it open - guess I don't mind if I break it as you can buy a replacement. If I can't open it my son isn't going to get his ipad back until well into the new year !

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
38 Posts
When mine broke, I was able to use a screwdriver to lever the handle and open the glovebox. Mine however wasn't floppy the handle had snapped off. If you have a closer look, you may be able to pry open.

The mechanism itself moves 2 sprung levers at either end of the glovebox right in line with the handle if I remember correctly. If you pry carefully you may be able to push them in and open each side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will give it a try, but it barley opens enough to get a screwdriver in, mind you it looks like it might have been forced before!

Could some-one post a pic of the inside of the lock so I can see what I'm aiming for

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Credit card at either side? Time to practice those secret agent skills!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I've managed to open it. Here is a tip for anyone else with the same problem. Snap off the handle and then poke a screw driver into the hole revealed and you should be able to work the mechanism. Obviously you will need a new door/glovebox but I think that is the case anyhow as the lock cannot be replaced on it's own

·
Registered
57 Posts
£65? Christ. I started a thread on this around 2 months ago. Bought a used one from ebay for £10, plus £10 postage. Fitted it in 20 mins. Seems a common problem though. I now hardly ever open the glove box and when I do, i do it far too carefully.

I must have got very lucky with the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts