Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The peace and quiet of the area i live has been disturbed by the lid of the 166 glovebox.
It has developed the habit of dropping open every night and setting the alarm off ,i suppose by the interior motion sensors detecting movement. It stays shut allday and when on the move it doesnt open and seems to be firmly closed even when the lid is pulled whilst it is closed and the catches are in place.
Ive emptied the contents so there is no weight in it and it still opens.
So why does it open on its own ? either the catches springs contract when it cools inside the car ,or its haunted or it is turning into the Alfa romeo version of Christine.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Pure X files stuff....OR if yours was a PH built car, assemble by Guiessepe then its the bunnet open failsafe warning system.

Pomeo

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you find what the problem was?
Hello
No it stopped doing it when the weather warmed up ,but the weather forecast is cold again so shall see if it happens again.
Still makes a change from the dashboard top compartment that i can usually never open!

Or maybe just always park it with the glovebox open:thumbs:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mine had a droopy glovebox. I solved it by not putting anything heavy in it.

Now I only keep gloves in the glovebox! Two pairs, one black the other light brown. Hand-stitched Italian gloves of course.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I have a toothpaste, toothbrush, durex, Gucci aftershave, sun glasses x2 and a tomtom holder - never know when these come in handy!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Still makes a change from the dashboard top compartment that i can usually never open!
That one's a very very easy fix.

Once you get the lid open with a bit of cajoling, unscrew the locking mechanism which is held in with ~4 little screws.

Keep the jaws of the mechanism open by wedging something like a Biro top in.

Then carefully glue a sliver of plastic on each tab on the sides where you'll see a bit chipped off from each side. I shaved off a bit of an old credit card and used Araldite.

Leave to dry, remove biro top, screw back in.

Mine works perfectly now.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts