Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.
Our home's Giulietta has an intermient problem in the backlights of the dashboard. As you can see in the image, sometimes the speedo and water temp background white lights, go off. Next day they can be back on. This is the second Giu I've seen with this issue, so I guess some lose connection somewhere. Giving a small bump in the dashboard with the had, sometimes cures, sometimes not.

Has it hapened to any of you? Do you know the most probable source of this? Maybe a bad connection in the plug or is it the actual bulbs?

Thanks a lot, and keep safe!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi mate
There seems to be little talk about this issue online
I had the same thing happen, some LEDs in the speed guage and sometimes the fuel gauge would cut out or flicker. Very distracting.

I am not very good at doing things like soldering or repairing microscopic electronics.
But I pulled the speedo assembly out, very easy to do by the way. And had a poke around.
Be very careful, the inside is made out of horrible brittle plastic and you will probably break it if not super careful.

In the end, I ended up getting a replacement cluster. You will need to then write the correct milage if you are honest enough to do so, and then perform a PROXI Alignment in MultiECUScan otherwise the odo will blink on the replacement unit

Here's some inside shots.
A video I found on Youtube of a person replacing their Mito Instrument Cluster LEDs, it's all pretty much the same inside of both units.
Link:
Sostituzione LED quadro su Alfa Romeo MiTo

You will see a screen like below before performing the PROXI Allignment with the new speedo plugged in

·
Registered
37,865 Posts
Surface mount components and lead free solder are a recipe for faults as things get older.

One of the reasons why modern electronic items such as TV's are now thrown away rather than being repaired when the fail.

Lead free solder develops tin whiskers as it ages due to oxidation and they cause short circuits, and it can also cause dry joints.

·
Registered
37,865 Posts
It migth be worth checking over all of the soldering joints with a good magnifying glass, and if any are broken resoldering them.

Anything on a car is also subjected to vibration and that will not help with solder joints long term either.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
I don't have this issue but when I put the car in D the whole dash flickers for a second

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Good to know, I know 2 friends with the same car either they haven't noticed or it doesn't work on theirs

·
Registered
273 Posts
if they have pre 2013 cars, they cant switch D on over a certain speed. so they would be in D sooner or not at all. I think it's about 65 mph

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
My 2011 definitely dims the dashlights down and back up when changing into D while on the move. And yes it won't change into D above about 60mph from memory.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Nowhere in the handbook for my 2011 model does it say that. In fact it specifically says (under Important at the end of the section) “Dynamic” mode cannot be engaged at speeds of above 110km/h." This makes it clear to me that it is acceptable to change mode on the move. In fact dynamic is so fierce when pulling off from stationary that I will move off in normal and only change to dynamic when clear of stop start traffic.

·
Registered
273 Posts
and since 2013 you can change to D at any speed, but admittedly they made the throttle response in D-mode a bit more benign

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
and since 2013 you can change to D at any speed, but admittedly they made the throttle response in D-mode a bit more benign
Not if you have had a new BCM fitted,my 2011 it was restricted to under 60mph but since BCM replaced it can be turned on at any speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts