Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a 52 plate 2.0 140bhp jtdm with 33,000 miles on the clock which hasn't missed a beat in the two years I have owned it until today.
I got into my car to collect my son and it wouldn't start.
It displayed these messages,
1. Have power steering checked. See hand book.
2. Steering corrector unavailable. See handbook
3. VDC unavailable see handbook.
4. Hill holder unavailable see handbook.

As I said my car has never missed a beat but yesterday I drove it onto the drive to hoover out then today it wont start.
I've read threads on here saying it could be the battery which did seem to struggle on cold days, I have turned the steering wheel left to right as a youtube video stated.
My car is clicking when I turn the key and the lights flash but I wanted to ask if a blown fuse could cause this before I buy a new battery.
I don't drive very far as I work 10 minutes from home so I guess i'm not charging my battery very well.
Any help, advice greatly received.
Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Diesel and short distances is a very bad match...
A new battery is a solution, in the short term...

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hi,
You need a new battery, my car died with no warning after a trip to work on a cold day. Make sure you get a stop start battery, I've never had it work so well again in 6 years of ownership after I replaced mine. It's now really annoying if I forget to switch it off (s/s that is)

56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
You need a new battery, my car died with no warning after a trip to work on a cold day. Make sure you get a stop start battery, I've never had it work so well again in 6 years of ownership after I replaced mine. It's now really annoying if I forget to switch it off (s/s that is)
Hi thank you,
I'm hoping it is the battery as the car is awesome

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Promise you won't be wasting any money. My battery died after going to work in the morning and struggling to start the car in the afternoon. If you can get the car running after a jump start, give it a few revs to prove the alternator is working, battery voltage should get up to around 14.5 volts. My car needed a new battery after these checks. The battery couldn't hold the charge and wouldn't start the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe try the starter relay too? I had the same problem back in October. I replaced the battery but the car still failed to start so for the sake a of another £10 maybe replace that too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a flat battery, purchased jump leads from argos, used my wife's car and got it started.
I took it for a long drive and everything reset thank god but then remembered cleaning my car and my 4 year old son playing with the buttons so I think he'd left something on.
Cheers for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts