Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently my washers stopped working on the front and back of my car, the fuse isn't blown, and the stalk still triggers the wipers, any ideas?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Can you hear the motor when stalk is pulled? If so you may have a blockage etc if not connection or motor failure is likely (although not heard of any)
I recently had to remove the tank on my dads fiesta as the filter was blocked..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey guys, recently my washers stopped working on the front and back of my car, the fuse isn't blown, and the stalk still triggers the wipers, any ideas?
As Nick says...have you checked that it's not empty ? Whilst we are on this gripping subject..a small question. Tried Prestone screenwash last month..absolute ****e ! Resulted in plenty of foam, smeary windscreen and blocked jets. So did the "right" thing and got 4 x 250ml bottles of Tutela SC35....only problem is for the life of me can't see the instruction for dilution rates anywhere. Currently using 50% which probably is high for summer ? Anyway excellent clear screen with alcohol smell as a bonus :biglaugh:

·
Registered
406 Posts
doesn't it say "ready for use" on the bottles? no dilution required.
No, not a mention ...just "concentrated windscreen wash" in Italian, English, French and German. Followed by whole string of stuff..even including "dalla portata dei bambini" everything in fact that's not helpful :biglaugh: Must have been away with the fairies when I said 50% mix, in fact I put in approx 200ml into empty tank then filled with water, seems to be about the right mix.

Got a lot on my plate at the moment, we suffered a serious break-in at home on Thursday, the whole house ransacked, everything of value stolen, mainly gold jewellery including wifes engagement and wedding rings..like to say what I feel but this site is censored :censored:

·
Registered
406 Posts
sorry to hear that. Nobody is waiting for such a thing...
Thanks for the sympathy guys, wifes very upset regarding the sentimental value more than anything. it's only money as they say and I fully appreciate some of us have serious health issues which are far more worrying. Anyway, phoned the police at 8.30pm..they arrived at 11.30pm...and with the usual "of course we won't catch them and it's your fault as you haven't turned your house into Fort Knox" attitude. Now the haggling with the insurance company.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, thanks for replies

Yes i have definitely checked the fuses, all intact.
The motor doesnt make a noise at all, i had my mate should his head in my engine bay whilst i tried.

There is fluid, the strange thing, is i filled it about a month ago when i first noticed it broke, then when i checked a couple of days ago to try and figure out again whats wrong with it, it appears fluid has gone down.

Whats the easiest way to get to the motor? where is the motor? so i can check the connection?
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
The motor sits on the side of the tank, check by the headlight... I haven't looked for it yet, but I'd first test with a testlight if power is getting to the washer. you could try with a multimeter aswell.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The motor sits on the side of the tank, check by the headlight... I haven't looked for it yet, but I'd first test with a testlight if power is getting to the washer. you could try with a multimeter aswell.
Good to see twinterx back on the scene after all the distraction :biglaugh:

Something just tells me that being an Alfa the washer motor just has to be buried in the bowels of it somewhere.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check the pipes are all connected. Once had this problem on a Seat. A pipe had come off the pump housing and deposited water straight on the floor when activated. Mate had a similar problem on a Vauxhall POS and water ended up collecting inside a chassis member with no obvious sign on the floor!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Something just tells me that being an Alfa the washer motor just has to be buried in the bowels of it somewhere.
I don't think its just an Alfa thing.. There is a crash repairer near my work, and they are almost always tucked somewhere around the wheel wheel in one of the dead spaces for packaging reasons, kind of hard to find a 10-20l volume in a modern car...
They also usually get broken in a frontal impact..

It will be on the bottom of the washer bottle tank... And my educated guess is it is behind the plastic/fabric fender liner, you should be able to partially detach the bottom portion and peer up underneath with a torch.

Update: hmm not so fun, its on the front surface near the bumper reinforcement..
https://www.fiatdalys.lt/en/catalog.../0/CC1.4/CMBBZ/GSX/windshield-wiper-reservoir

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Arh man that is well hidden, looks like some stripping is in order to access to it, I got some great looks the other day,because its been so dry recently, some dirt/ dust accumulated on the windscreen so I was in asda carpark tipping windscreen wash directly onto the windscreen haha.

Okay I've read a pipe commonly comes unattached, any ideas which this is? Although I think its dead because as I said we could not hear their pump working.

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just an update guys! Fixed.

It was the pump itself, £7 fix, bumper off and there it is.

It blew up, had a crack in and the liquid was leaking out. But the pump was siezed so it wasn't pumping at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts