Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Puglia (the heel of Italy) in Oct for a week and saw hundreds of Alfas - up to 75 in one day. Mostly 147s, 156s, Giulietta's and some Giulias. My girlfriend flew into a separate airport before me and I expressly said, get a Giulietta (that's what we ordered) - when she picked me up in Bari she had ... a Golf. It'll be interesting though, I thought, to compare the 1.6 diesel Golf to my 1.6 diesel Giulietta and thought some observations might be of interest:

The Giulietta has nicer looks and the seating position feels less cramped, easier to jump into. It's also - strangely enough - a bit quieter than the Golf at all speeds (or was I driving a cheap hire car? It didn't feel that way). They're about the same in terms of performance though the Giulietta has the D option which makes it a much faster car that hugs corners when you want it.

The Golf's sat nav and infotainment system is far superior - it's brighter, bigger and easier to use. The Golf felt more solid in some way. The interior cabin and boot was the same as the Giulietta in terms of quality and size. Both very easy to drive and park and with similar fuel consumption.

The winner - Giulietta but with a VW sat nav/infotainment system. Now if they can just get that sorted....

·
Registered
95 Posts
When introducing the G to a sceptic, they say: "Ohh, so you driva an... Alfa". Answers: "yes, it's just like a golf but much more expensive to own". End off discussion, take them for a ride and no more questions. Funny how that works every time

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I went to Puglia (the heel of Italy) in Oct for a week and saw hundreds of Alfas - up to 75 in one day. Mostly 147s, 156s, Giulietta's and some Giulias. My girlfriend flew into a separate airport before me and I expressly said, get a Giulietta (that's what we ordered) - when she picked me up in Bari she had ... a Golf. It'll be interesting though, I thought, to compare the 1.6 diesel Golf to my 1.6 diesel Giulietta and thought some observations might be of interest:

The Giulietta has nicer looks and the seating position feels less cramped, easier to jump into. It's also - strangely enough - a bit quieter than the Golf at all speeds (or was I driving a cheap hire car? It didn't feel that way). They're about the same in terms of performance though the Giulietta has the D option which makes it a much faster car that hugs corners when you want it.

The Golf's sat nav and infotainment system is far superior - it's brighter, bigger and easier to use. The Golf felt more solid in some way. The interior cabin and boot was the same as the Giulietta in terms of quality and size. Both very easy to drive and park and with similar fuel consumption.

The winner - Giulietta but with a VW sat nav/infotainment system. Now if they can just get that sorted....
As a former owner of a Golf Gti 6 (amazingly well sorted and supremely practical car but never tugged at my heart strings) and a 147GTA (front heavy, huge oversteer, but always put a HUGE smile on my face every single day I owned her), it is funny that I now find myself considering these same two cars again right now. Am currently running a well-modded 2016 Mini Cooper JCW that I bought new, but am really ready for a change - got a $1500 government required car inspection due next month and I am wondering whether to get a Giulietta Veloce, an Abarth 595 Competition, a Golf Gti Dynamic, or just pay the $1500 and wait another year till better choices arrive.

I test drove the Abarth a few days ago - loved the noise and decent pace, but feels a bit cramped for my 186cm frame. Test drove the Gti Dynamic today - was a HUGE improvement over my old MK6 (and the various huge electronic displays are truly beautiful and amazing) but I have to say that overall, it STILL didn't tug at my heart strings, and tomorrow I will test drive the Giulietta Veloce. I love the looks (reminds me a lot of my old GTA) but am worried the platform is a bit aged now and imagine a full model change is due soon. Also, I wasn't particularly impressed by the engine note in the 4C and as this is the same engine I am wondering what it will sound like (engine note is important for me!).

If you haven't seen it - here is a great comparison of the current Gti and Giulietta Veloce (its long, but very interesting) - they came to the same conclusion I am sure I will as well... :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
got a $1500 government required car inspection due next month
Is this the very expensive MoT I hear about, that all Japanese car owners have to undertake if their vehicle is over a certain age?

Love a Harry's Garage video!

As for your comments about the engine noise; it sounds good enough in stock form, but pop a Wizard exhaust on it and it'll sing :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a MK7 Golf GTI and traded it in for a Giulia Veloce in July this year. It's a tough call between them to be honest. The Golf was more practical and better on fuel 35mpg vs around 30mpg in the Giulia. The tech and user-friendliness of the Golf was also better than the Alfa, the start-stop was superior as was the collision warning system and active cruise control. That said, the Giulia is a much nicer cabin to be in, in my view, and is much comfier & quieter on long journeys. It feels just a little bit more refined. The Giulia definitely gets more attention than the Golf because it is really, really rare in comparison. But overall, I'd keep the Giulia if I had the choice of the two especially with the paddle gearbox which despite sometimes ****ing me off is great fun when you do get on the B roads.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

I hate to say it but the Gti wins on almost every count but looks. Finally test drove the Veloce today (Gti 2 days ago). Would say the dual clutch unit on the VW was faster responding on both upshifts and downshifts and more natural (and sporty) in feel. Gti engine too, is far sharper off the line (Veloce had noticeable lag), sounds better and really comes alive more than the Veloce when pushed hard. Brakes too - Veloce responds well when stopping hard but a bit soft when driving and braking normally. Electronics are a mile ahead in the Gti - very nice! But for all that, I like the look of the Giulietta both inside and out better and think that although the Gti wins in most areas, the Alfa gives 70-80% of the driving pleasure of the Gti while winning in the unique looks department - with the 5 spoke wheels it really reminds me of my old 147GTA and I am sorely tempted... Have already decided against the Gti - tomorrow I will check out my other favorite front wheeler (number one was my 147GTA, a close second was my old Renault Megane Trophy) - will test drive the 2019 Megane RS tomorrow. Problem is price - its about 500,000¥ more than the Giulietta (which is just barely in my current budget)...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I sold my 2014 Golf 7 1.4TSi and bought a 2015 Giulietta 1.4 MultiAir which was a bit more expensive, mainly because the Golf was in mint condition but had a heap of fault codes.

While it was a year older, the Golf was a much newer car in every respect - a generation newer.
Being a Highline version, it had radar cruise, autonomous emergency braking, auto headlight dip for oncoming traffic, Bi-xenon headlights that see around curves, lane guidance, etc, etc, a whole load of features that will never make it to the Giulietta.

Perhaps more importantly, the Golf’s seven-speed DSG is not as reliable as Alfa Romeo’s slower-shifting TCT and the engine is down about 30bhp even if you have the more-powerful 103kW Highline TSi. Golf DSG clutches are a major problem on the dry-clutch versions; they can last as little as 75,000km.

Against a Golf 6, the Giulietta ride and refinement is slightly better, but against a Golf 7, there’s no contest. The excellent ride of the Golf 7 puts all older cars to shame, even luxury cars. It absorbs bumps without wobbles or shakes in the structure. No scuttle shake, no thumps from the rear, and definitely no movement of the steering column.

Another surprise is a huge difference in fuel economy - I find the Giulietta uses 36% more fuel than the Golf did; must be the amazing MultiAir technology. I get 7.5L/100 vs. 5.5L/100 before, which is enough to really make the difference between cheap-to-run, or not.

Been a couple of years now and I’m sure I’ll continue to crow on about the Golf every opportunity that I can, glad to help “troll” any similar comparisons! :D

I loved that Golf 7, I reckon it’s the best hatchback in the world. It was so much nicer to drive than my flimsy old Gallardo, though at least the Giulietta seems relatively solid and economical now. I guess at the end of the day, it’s all a matter of perspective. Get a truly terrible hand-made lashup of a car and you’ll soon realise how good the ‘average, not class-leading’ level of steering and handling was, in either the Giulietta or the Golf. Bump steer, torque steer, speed wobbles etc. just aren’t there.

And our Giulietta has turned out to be more reliable than the Golf, but then you’d expect that, wouldn’t you?

-Alex

·
Registered
300 Posts
On the Swedish used market, the comparable (for me, price, miles, power) 2010-2012 Golfs do not exist. Poverty spec ex lease cars 6th gens are about 40% more expensive. I find the Golf 6 very boring looking and the interior is horrid looking at the lower specs. Loses to the G in power, speed, acceleration, fuel economy, reliability and repair costs as well. It's a no-brainer there. The Golf 7 is much nicer, but the pre facelift ones are also very boring inside and out.
My friend got a 2018 GT R-line and it is a very nice car, but it does lack "feel". But as said, it's a whole new generation of car compared to the aging Giulietta.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd love to see new Giulietta next year. Alfa usually have the same model for a long period of time compared to other car manufacturers.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Never owned a VW. Though learned to drive in a camper van in '78. The newest cars I have owned in 40 years of driving have been Alfas. I had a 156 V6 S3 for 9 years, lovely car fantastic engine. Bought for £10k and sold for £600. No real issues in that time except expensive cam belt changes. Loved every minute of ownership. Current Alfa is a Giulietta JTDm 140 Veloce I have had for nearly 5 years. Love driving it as well. Both were 3 years old when I bought them. Also I have a ' 71 Spider Veloce 2000 which I have owned for 34 years.
I have been thinking about what to get next as I will probably have a change next year. Don't want to spend much more than about £15k including trade in value. Currently have two thoughts, something sensible Mazda CX3 favourite at the moment. Or sporty. Giulietta 1750 QV, BMW M135I, Audi S1, Peugeot 308 GTI. Hadn't really thought about a Golf GTI as they are everywhere you look. It would have to have leather seats not tartan like my grans shopping trolley. It's not the 70s anymore. I know Golfs always get good reviews but cars are subjective like most things, we all know what we like and Alfas always seem to do it for me.
Just had a Brand new Fiesta courtesy car (1100 3 pot non turbo) for a few weeks while some cosmetic damage was fixed (bloody low barriers in car parks). Nice enough, light steering, touchscreen, auto everything but was glad to get back in my Giulietta. Feels so much more solid and such a nice cabin to be in. Might have to try a Golf GTI though and see what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
38,437 Posts
The Golf is a good car but not an exceptional one due to its high purchase price.

You Pay over the odds simply to have a VW badge on the front when in reality a Skoda or Seat will do the same (or better) for less money.

As for Golf Vs Giulietta, the Golf will feel better built but will probably end up being less reliable.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Never owned a VW. Though learned to drive in a camper van in '78. The newest cars I have owned in 40 years of driving have been Alfas. I had a 156 V6 S3 for 9 years, lovely car fantastic engine. Bought for £10k and sold for £600. No real issues in that time except expensive cam belt changes. Loved every minute of ownership. Current Alfa is a Giulietta JTDm 140 Veloce I have had for nearly 5 years. Love driving it as well. Both were 3 years old when I bought them. Also I have a ' 71 Spider Veloce 2000 which I have owned for 34 years.
I have been thinking about what to get next as I will probably have a change next year. Don't want to spend much more than about £15k including trade in value. Currently have two thoughts, something sensible Mazda CX3 favourite at the moment. Or sporty. Giulietta 1750 QV, BMW M135I, Audi S1, Peugeot 308 GTI. Hadn't really thought about a Golf GTI as they are everywhere you look. It would have to have leather seats not tartan like my grans shopping trolley. It's not the 70s anymore. I know Golfs always get good reviews but cars are subjective like most things, we all know what we like and Alfas always seem to do it for me.
Just had a Brand new Fiesta courtesy car (1100 3 pot non turbo) for a few weeks while some cosmetic damage was fixed (bloody low barriers in car parks). Nice enough, light steering, touchscreen, auto everything but was glad to get back in my Giulietta. Feels so much more solid and such a nice cabin to be in. Might have to try a Golf GTI though and see what the fuss is about.
Try the suzuki swift sport. Might get brand new with your budget and by all accounts are quite nice to throw around.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Wife had a brand new VW Golf 7. Sold it after 2 years ownership as she/we was bored to death looking at it and driving it.
Her currrent 2013 Giulietta MA170 put the smile back on her face. That car is just so much nicer in any perspective.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Although not a Golf, up until recently my car was a 2018 SEAT Leon Cupra 300 (same platform as the GTI/Golf R/Audi S3).

It ticked all of the boxes and was eye-wateringly quick (especially with a 370bhp remap), but I've owned my 2011 Giulietta Cloverleaf for the grand total of 11 days now and it puts a smile on my face every single time I drive it. It has a 260bhp remap but it's still nowhere near as quick as the Cupra (and nor did I expect it to be), but there's just something about it which I absolutely love. Something which was missing from the SEAT. It has it's niggles, but that's what I like about it. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't feel sterile like the Cupra did..

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Which Gallardo did you have you lucky, lucky bar steward
I have a 2008 Spyder. Horrible car, crude and unrefined and actually quite sluggish/feels heavy/difficult to drive quickly and smoothly. Lacks the torque to pull up hills in the not-very-high top gear. But it’s been reliable in the almost three years I’ve owned it. So has the Giulietta.

-Alex

1 - 20 of 20 Posts