Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had my car since late December (though it's our 4th Alfa) so i was wondering if it's normal for a petrol Giulietta TCT to have a rather unpleasant vibration through the seat when stationery? The buzzing makes the mirrors blurry and you actually see the drivers door mirror shaking. Feels like my old BSA. Smooths out at higher revs and generally the car drives beautifully.

R

·
0 Posts
No not normal, my previous Giulietta JTDm with TCT was very smooth at idle, get it checked if it is still under warranty.
Could be the engine mounts

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 2012 petrol TCT is exactly the same. Dealer looked at it under warranty and spoke to Alfa but concluded that's just the way it is! Bit of a cop out. They did change the driver's mirror to reduce the shaking but that's wasn't really addressing the problem. Was thinking about getting the self-learning parameters reset (someone said this cured rough idle after multi-air replacement). At least you're not the only one. Let us know if you resolve the problem.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Maybe it is ticking over too sloly for some reason?

Could also be vibration from one of the clutches or the flywheel. I assume the TCT still has a dual mass affair?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Idling vibration

I have a 2012 1.4 MA 170hp. It has now 93k kms. With me one and a half years . It also shook a bit on idling and I thought it was the norm!
Yesterday I took it for a lube and cam belt change. The mechanic checked the car and advised me to have the right side engine mounting changed. Said it had sagged with age. A heavy bit of kit.
After the change I cannot tell when the motor is running. Need to watch the rev counter.
Suggest you get yours inspected.

Enjoy
Laurence

·
Registered
63 Posts
My drivers door mirror also vibrates a little on idle 2012 1.4 tct. Its going into the dealers tomorrow under extended warranty to have the Air Con Compressor looked at there is oil coming from the drive side bearing, i'll get them to look at the engine mount at the same time

·
Registered
15 Posts
My drivers door mirror also vibrates a little on idle 2012 1.4 tct. Its going into the dealers tomorrow under extended warranty to have the Air Con Compressor looked at there is oil coming from the drive side bearing, i'll get them to look at the engine mount at the same time
I agree with bentlydim.
My mirror also shakes at idle with an added vibration especially during stop / start.
Local dealer diagnosed a faulty engine mount.

Hopefully will be sorted after the new mount.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cost of an engine mount on shop4parts is £131.04 with VAT but we get a 10% Discount as being members - Labour costs an hour so garages by me are about £50-60 an hour so all in all looking I would say £200 max

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only had my car since late December (though it's our 4th Alfa) so i was wondering if it's normal for a petrol Giulietta TCT to have a rather unpleasant vibration through the seat when stationery? The buzzing makes the mirrors blurry and you actually see the drivers door mirror shaking. Feels like my old BSA. Smooths out at higher revs and generally the car drives beautifully.
Hi all, a newbie on this forum from Australia. Was wondering if you had any resolution of this problem. My QV manual 6 speed also vibrates as you described. On inspection everything checks out ok and the dealer has said they have requested some advice/clarification from Alfa on this as they are seeing a lot more instances of cars doing it, but mostly the 1750TBi engine. My car used to run smooth as silk also but now quite annoying at idle.

Any info much appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed excessive vibration through the steering wheel and seat of my newly purchased Giulietta (2015 JTDM2 175 TCT) after having it a day or so, and had it looked at last week. Only an issue at idle, and the car runs smoothly on the move. Assessment was, as has been mentioned, a worn engine mount, so it is getting replaced shortly. Hopefully that'll do the trick, and I'll provide an update.

First post, incidentally, so hello to all!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2012 petrol TCT has always (as far as I can recall) had a vibration at idle sufficient to blur the door mirrors.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi all, a newbie on this forum from Australia. Was wondering if you had any resolution of this problem. My QV manual 6 speed also vibrates as you described. On inspection everything checks out ok and the dealer has said they have requested some advice/clarification from Alfa on this as they are seeing a lot more instances of cars doing it, but mostly the 1750TBi engine. My car used to run smooth as silk also but now quite annoying at idle.

Any info much appreciated.
Cheers
RGS65, as written here the problem is caused by a worn front engine mount, it is more common on the 1.4 but also happens with the 1.75TBi.

I am located in Brisbane and am able to solve your problem for you if you like. You can PM me here or just google me on Gumtree to get my contact details.

Baz

·
Registered
278 Posts
Has anyone else had this on the 170 2.0JTDm? I also get a clunk when engaging first and second even on light acceleration. I was wondering if it was lower gearbox mounts but now I'm wondering if it's this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RGS65, as written here the problem is caused by a worn front engine mount, it is more common on the 1.4 but also happens with the 1.75TBi.

I am located in Brisbane and am able to solve your problem for you if you like. You can PM me here or just google me on Gumtree to get my contact details.

Baz
Thanks for the reply Baz, I'll keep you in mind. At the moment i'm just seeing if i can put up with it until its next due for a service.

Cheers
Ralph

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
My 2012 petrol TCT has always (as far as I can recall) had a vibration at idle sufficient to blur the door mirrors.
Ours has always done this too, and is now just out of warranty - I think it has got a bit worse recently. Hopefully it is obvious if the mount has collapsed - I’ll take a look tomorrow.

-Alex

·
Registered
9 Posts
TCT vibration

I have a 1.4 multiair TCT that is a late 2011 car that has covered 42 000 miles and do not have any vibration issues.

This is my first dual clutch car and I am very happy with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts