Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone might be to help with some advice. For a number of weeks my giulietta 2.0l Jtdm-2 has been having trouble starting but only when the engine is hot. I have had the car serviced but did not help. I have changed the crankshaft sensor and the problem is still there.
Has anyone had the same problem or could offer any advice.

Thank you

Ray

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Have you done a diagnostic check? Any fault codes? dont waste your time changing parts and cleaning things that may not need touching. Read your fault codes as a start and then work on from there.

Ive read about people spending nearly £1000 on fixing a problem with out reading any fault codes and getting nowhere.

Zoo

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Have you done a diagnostic check? Any fault codes? dont waste your time changing parts and cleaning things that may not need touching. Read your fault codes as a start and then work on from there.

Ive read about people spending nearly £1000 on fixing a problem with out reading any fault codes and getting nowhere.

Zoo
Sound advice, what year is your car I have a 2010 car with the jtdm2 170 bhp engine so would be good to know if it might be something coming my way? My car is at 87k miles and hot starting problems on a diesel engine are very rare, glow plugs won't be needed so I would get the codes read first before spending any money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Guys,

No fault codes are shown on diagnostics. My uncle is a mechanic and has been asking other mechanics their thoughts. As it wasn't the crankshaft sensor causing the problem they other sensor causing the problem could be the common rail pressure sensor. My car is the sane year 2010 but I have 140k on the clock.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello Guys,

No fault codes are shown on diagnostics. My uncle is a mechanic and has been asking other mechanics their thoughts. As it wasn't the crankshaft sensor causing the problem they other sensor causing the problem could be the common rail pressure sensor. My car is the sane year 2010 but I have 140k on the clock.
Check battery, starter, grounds and injectors maybe. How does it start when it is left over night?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check battery, starter, grounds and injectors maybe. How does it start when it is left over night?
The battery, starter and earthing are good but the injectors haven't been checked. It is something we have been thinking. The car starts first time with no problem when it is cold in the morning.

·
Premium Member
45,066 Posts
You've already changed the crank sensor right? What brand did you use, genuine alfa? Bosch? Or something else?

Have you checked the cam timing? Thats where I would start, they don't like starting when hot when they're a tooth out, but for some reason when cold it doesn't seem to make much difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You've already changed the crank sensor right? What brand did you use, genuine alfa? Bosch? Or something else?

Have you checked the cam timing? Thats where I would start, they don't like starting when hot when they're a tooth out, but for some reason when cold it doesn't seem to make much difference.
It was a bosch sensor. I will check the timing thank you for the advice, I will update you how I get on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts