Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
They’ve said top mount and that it’s caused the spring to be damaged too...they’re quoting me £630 including labour and VAT which was a bit of a shock, when I asked why so costly they say some parts have to be Alfa parts....do we think this sounds fair?

·
Registered
37,875 Posts
They ain't called Halfrauds for nothing.

Not sure how a top mount could damage a spring unless it has snapped?

Top mounts are about £70 each and thats from a dealer. You can get a comple set of eibach springs for £150, a couple of pattern ones in standard size would be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ive seen the combination of snapped spring and worn top mounts before. Not saying thats the case here though, but a broken spring is obvious to spot

·
Registered
Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, 2013
61 Posts
If it knocks when turning with engine off it could also be a track rod end.
I'd get a second opinion.
Shocks & springs should ideally be changed in pairs, new top mounts on both sides. As the lower arms have to come off to do shocks I'd change them too. Mine were goosed at 67,000 miles.
Find a local independent garage that will allow you to supply the parts.
Febi strut mounts are approx £22 each, springs £25 each, shocks £55 each, covers £15 for a pair. Arms are approx £55 each and I'd get drop links too, about £15 each.
You'll need an alignment too.
Prices are for Autodoc where I just got my bits from, their prices change daily so wait until they're advertising at least 27% off.
You could get all those bits bought and fitted for what Halfords quoted you.

Jack up front corner with steering turned left and ignition off, rock wheel left to right. You should see hear and feel if it is track rod end.

Before dropping any cash, get a second opinion.
Sure Kwik fit do free inspection too, not suggesting you get them to do any work, just be interesting to see if verdict is the same.....

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks all, found an independent Alfa repairer under some arches only 6-miles away, got it back today with two new top mounts (£54 each) and a pair of new springs (£71 the pair) and £240 labour, so £419 all in, I’ve only done the 6-miles so far but all the noise has gone so fingers crossed it’s cured 👍🏻

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes sorry, the drivers side top mount had a weird sort of dent in it And was grinding and bumping in turning and part of the spring was also damaged on that side. Couldn’t really see much wrong on the other side but replacing them in pairs is for the best apparently....

·
Registered
276 Posts
yeah for sure if the MOT does a suspension test. The top mount has a big influence on that and 1 new + 1 old spring can lead to a tilted vehicle

61 - 70 of 70 Posts