Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Once the KW V2 has been fitted and set-up my next phase will be the mechanical LSD (mentioned in previous threads on here by others) to complement handling/steering, particularly in the cornering department for my 2011 Cloverleaf.
The QV tends to skip its rear end over uneven surfaces loosing much needed grip and precise composure that my previous cars achieved easily. This is not a it sounds knocking the QV's ability, just that the other cars were out and out rally cars set up for road events. My 156 2.4JTD has the B12 fitted with full pollyflex bushes and this made a great improvement as a car for touring use, but its not in the same league as the Giulietta when it comes to cornering ability and for this I choose the KW Variant 2 kit to allow some setting tuning, instead of fixed set-ups.
Changing springs and/or dampers gets expensive and time consuming for a mainly road use car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Where did you get the rear camber kit from fjlour? I looked a while back and couldn't find anything

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk
No specific kit for the Giulietta, however, I bought mine as a Dodge Dart kit shipped from the USA. Just google for Dodge Dart camber kit and there are lots os options. It was around 45eur back then in 2012.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
OK, so got the car back yesterday but only had time for a short blast down the road.

Wow, what a transformation...... The car feels much better and nicer to drive on the Bilsteins B6 shocks... much smoother and the steering seems to have a better feel and feedback.

That's just with normal driving..... I did take a few left right bends and the car feels planted, the rear stable and better in changing direction.

Will provide more feedback as I drive it more..

The B6's and eibachs seem to work very well together......

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
I think the best way to improve the Giuliettas ride and handling is to replace both the shocks and springs.

The car looks better lowered as well...

Fit Eibachs if you want a comfortable ride, and something like H&R if you you value handling a bit more over ride comfort or need a bigger drop

I find the B4 and Eibach combo to ride much better than the standard setup. It does handle a bit better, but not massively so.

When I first fitted them I did lightly graze the undertray on one of those table top style speed humps, but now the car has settled it no longer does it.

Very pleased with that combo :)

People say about the Diesel being heavier upfront than the multiair, but it is only 20kg or so... It isn't like the difference between a TS and Diesel 156 which is more like 100Kg

You could probably get rid of a lot of that difference by fitting a more expensive but lighter battery. The original is huge.

If powerflex bring out a poly bush kit for the G I may get one, the handling is a bit lacking in feel, and the steering is very numb.
Symon , I'm assuming you've got 18"s or at least 17"s on your car by now rather than the balloon tyre std Lusso set?
The reduced sidewall height does make a difference having experienced the 16s and 18s on the Giulietta. The car certainly takes low profile tyres better than the old 147 suspension.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The B6's and eibachs seem to work very well together......
I suspect with only Eibachs and standard shocks you were quite heavily under-damped to start with so not really surprised the B6's have made a massive difference :thumbs:

Would be interested to know if you ever bottom out. Taking dips in the road at something like 80 plus then my under-tray can still kiss the tarmac. That don't bother me too much but what does is when the underside of the front bumper also hits the road - and you get to see the flecks of your wonderful paintwork disappearing in the rear view mirror :cry:

I've got a pristine front end on mine so tend to be more cautious now :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Agree Argo. It did seem under damped and the bilsteins show that up. You mention high speed bumps which I have no feedback on yet but it certainly doesn't seem as soft over the speed hump on my road now

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Symon , I'm assuming you've got 18"s or at least 17"s on your car by now rather than the balloon tyre std Lusso set?
The reduced sidewall height does make a difference having experienced the 16s and 18s on the Giulietta. The car certainly takes low profile tyres better than the old 147 suspension.
I have 17's on mine. :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
ok so done some more driving at the weekend . Drove 120 miles to my parents on a fast A road and then the motorway with just me and the missus.

So fast cruising has shown up a new found stability in My G. Everything just feels, more stable, more solid and the steering has a better feel. It just feels like everything is working together properly. Its not floaty at all. It feels more of a quality product now..

On the way back on the same route, another 120 miles but this time we were fully loaded up , boot and back seat full of stuff as we are clearing out my parents house I was pleasantly surprised. Car still felt stable even though the back end was sitting low and still felt comfortable. The B6's have transformed my car for sure.

I have yet to do any serious twisty stuff, but I'm sure it will be ok as the new more solid feel inspires more confidence.

I have to say though at no time is the ride compromised. harder shocks they may be, but the new found control they give to the car actually improves the ride.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yeah the tracking was sorted with the eibachs springs. Done a 4 wheel hunter tracking.

Letting it resettle before I do another one now the B6,s are on

Its certainly not a tracking issue that is the cause of the poor standard setup. It's the quality and setup of the shocks

Best mod I've done

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
OK GUYS

the B6 's have been on around a month now , settled in...... car has also had tracking checked and only needed a minor adjustment.

But boy does this car Rock....... Its absolutely awesome.... the bilsteins have improved every aspect of the car.

I have now challenged the car more down some twisty roads and it flows in the corners now , never feels unsettled or feels like the chassis is one step behind what the steering is asking it to do. A series of left turn, then right turn and left again on a road I use really shows me how poor the original set up was.

This car has improved more than any other I have had in 28 years of driving from a suspension change.

Its comfortable too, never crashy, far better than the original ride. Yes BETTER! Its not often you can say that when changing suspension.

I really cant fault the b6/ eibach combo on my car.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I had the tracking checked on my car after fitting the Eibachs and it was still within spec, so I didn't bother to get it adjusted.

I have kept an eye on the tyres for any uneven wear patterns and there are no hits of anything like that.

Just need to get my Goodyears fitted to the front, as the car is understeery in the wet on the worn Michelins.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yeah I've got Goodyear. F1 asy 2 on mine. Really rate them. Had them on my civic fn2 type r as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, newby here, had a 66 Giulietta for about 6-months and now getting some awful clunking from the drivers side wheel, mostly whilst turning over uneven ground (like a speed bump) but sometimes just on a bump too - is this likely to be shocks or bushes or roll bars? I’m not very mechanical I’m afraid....and what would be your best and worst cost estimates on getting it fixed? Cheers....

·
Registered
Giulietta 2.0 170 Veloce, 2013
57 Posts
Could be anything. Drop link, lower arm ball joint or bushes, track rod end. How does the steering feel, does it wander?
If you rock steering wheel left to right with engine off, are you getting a knocking noise?
You really need to get it looked at.

Track rod end should be cheap enough, part about £20, same for drop link and fitting either takes about 30 mins. Lower arm is a pain to change as are the shocks.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could be anything. Drop link, lower arm ball joint or bushes, track rod end. How does the steering feel, does it wander?
If you rock steering wheel left to right with engine off, are you getting a knocking noise?
You really need to get it looked at.

Track rod end should be cheap enough, part about £20, same for drop link and fitting either takes about 30 mins. Lower arm is a pain to change as are the shocks.

Cheers
No knocking from steering when engine off and steering doesn’t appear to wander, it seems to me to only happen during use and only seems to be on the drivers side?
Yeah I may wait for a week or two of lockdown to pass and then try to get recommendations for an Alfa shop in SW London. Cheers

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I would guess an anti roll bar link. They are cheap to buy and easy to replace so it shouldn't cost too much. <£100 all in I would think, if it is that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed that Halfords offer a “free suspension inspection” and then quote for any works so I booked it in there and just dropped it off (they’re hugely busy for a lockdown bank holiday) so I’ll await the verdict, unfortunately I did re-test the steering whilst stationary test mentioned earlier and the noise is present when turning to the right - I worry this now makes it more expensive 🤓

41 - 60 of 66 Posts