Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
They're fine when they're new but some people who've bought used have found them lacking. Maybe they aren't durable . Mine are getting replaced at 50 something thousand miles after going over speed humps in the work car park too many times !

·
Registered
153 Posts
They're fine when they're new but some people who've bought used have found them lacking. Maybe they aren't durable . Mine are getting replaced at 50 something thousand miles after going over speed humps in the work car park too many times !
Ok,? Mine's only done 16k,

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
I suppose having done all the 55000 miles mines done I may not have noticed the gradual wear ?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I find mine lacking for a car with so much power. Mine have done 25k. Needs better control and poise through corners does the cloverleaf.

Shocks are just too soft

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Maybe I'm just brought up on slightly under-damped rubbery feeling Lancias and Fiats anyway!
Plus there's a bit of extra engine weight on the 1750 and 2.0 jtdm compared to my MA. My wife noticed when she drove a diesel back to back with the MA , unprompted.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I find mine lacking for a car with so much power. Mine have done 25k. Needs better control and poise through corners does the cloverleaf.

Shocks are just too soft

I find the suspension as a whole to be Under-dampened, under-sprung and over bushed. Even for a 1.4 Lusso. It gives the whole car a very floaty feel at speed and a rubbery feel at low speed. B6's helped a bit but they have just highlighted the poor springs.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
The standard springs are relatively thin wire but they carry lots of pre load. If you have uncompressed a standard spring you will see how much they are compressed before the cars weight is even added. Alfa have also been underdamping their cars for years.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Shocks are just too soft
Fit B6's then. Makes a big improvement on handling, especially the ability to lane change very fast even in mid corner. There's no detectable degradation in ride either - in fact many would argue it's actually improved (more thumps rather than bangs)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi Argo, yeah got the B6 ordered and on their way from alfsti. :)

Should be with me Friday or next Monday hopefully.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I think the best way to improve the Giuliettas ride and handling is to replace both the shocks and springs.

The car looks better lowered as well...

Fit Eibachs if you want a comfortable ride, and something like H&R if you you value handling a bit more over ride comfort or need a bigger drop

I find the B4 and Eibach combo to ride much better than the standard setup. It does handle a bit better, but not massively so.

When I first fitted them I did lightly graze the undertray on one of those table top style speed humps, but now the car has settled it no longer does it.

Very pleased with that combo :)

People say about the Diesel being heavier upfront than the multiair, but it is only 20kg or so... It isn't like the difference between a TS and Diesel 156 which is more like 100Kg

You could probably get rid of a lot of that difference by fitting a more expensive but lighter battery. The original is huge.

If powerflex bring out a poly bush kit for the G I may get one, the handling is a bit lacking in feel, and the steering is very numb.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
The B6's arrived yesterday and hopefully will be fitted Wednesday the 16th.... So will post feedback some time after.

So just to confirm the setup will be B6 shocks combined with eibach springs

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
That will be one of the best combos you can get for road use.

Slightly better handling, much better ride (More controlled, less crashy) and better looks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That will be one of the best combos you can get for road use.

Slightly better handling, much better ride (More controlled, less crashy) and better looks.
I had H&R sports with stock shocks (great steering sharpness and low body roll) but then the shocks started to fade and I switched to B6 + Eibach prokit (same as B12 bilstein kit). The car is more composed and damping improved, but it became a little bit more floaty and it lost steering input sharpness and gained more body roll because they sit higher than the H&Rs.

I'm not totally conviced by this setup as I although find the car to be more civilized and it never scrapes, I do miss the go-kart feel that the lower H&Rs had.

If I was able to go back in time, I had a go with coilovers instead of the equivalent priced Bilstein B12 kit, as I find it ver soft for my taste.

For people that come from stock suspension, they will love the difference in body roll and because the comfort remains almost the same as stock, they'll love it too. However, once you go H&R sharp, you can't go back unless it's for coilovers.

I'm right now thinking about purchasing the H&Rs again to see how the car feels with the B6.

Here's how it looks with the B12.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
After all, it might well depend on what the factory has to hand at the time...
Good old Alfa...plus ça change... ;)

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I had H&R sports with stock shocks (great steering sharpness and low body roll) but then the shocks started to fade and I switched to B6 + Eibach prokit (same as B12 bilstein kit). The car is more composed and damping improved, but it became a little bit more floaty and it lost steering input sharpness and gained more body roll because they sit higher than the H&Rs.

I'm not totally conviced by this setup as I although find the car to be more civilized and it never scrapes, I do miss the go-kart feel that the lower H&Rs had.

If I was able to go back in time, I had a go with coilovers instead of the equivalent priced Bilstein B12 kit, as I find it ver soft for my taste.

For people that come from stock suspension, they will love the difference in body roll and because the comfort remains almost the same as stock, they'll love it too. However, once you go H&R sharp, you can't go back unless it's for coilovers.

I'm right now thinking about purchasing the H&Rs again to see how the car feels with the B6.

Here's how it looks with the B12.

I think the G would benefit from a stiffer anti roll bar at the back. As standard and as lowered the car is biased towards too much understeer. A stiffer rear anti roll bar would give better front end bite in the corners.

Whilst in the process of doing the work on my car I changed the rear dampers first, and ran the car for a week without changing anything esle (stock springs and worn front dampers)

It was a pretty good setup to be honest, the car was very eager to turn in, and the tendency for the back to skip out on bumps mid-corner was gone.

I would go as far as to say it was better than with B4's all round and stock springs, and miles better than the totally standard setup.

Also a set of poly bushes at the front should help steering feel a bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Shocks are just too soft

Poor body control at not even very fast speeds definitely one of the QV's less endearing features. Finally bit the bullet and disposed of the shocks (+ springs) last week, totally different car now. Incredible.

You could do really well just changing springs though. I know someone who did just that on his cloverleaf (for the lowered look) and kept the original shocks. It drove rather well indeed good springs alone make a big difference (ie the OEM springs are pretty average too).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the G would benefit from a stiffer anti roll bar at the back. As standard and as lowered the car is biased towards too much understeer. A stiffer rear anti roll bar would give better front end bite in the corners.

Whilst in the process of doing the work on my car I changed the rear dampers first, and ran the car for a week without changing anything esle (stock springs and worn front dampers)

It was a pretty good setup to be honest, the car was very eager to turn in, and the tendency for the back to skip out on bumps mid-corner was gone.

I would go as far as to say it was better than with B4's all round and stock springs, and miles better than the totally standard setup.

Also a set of poly bushes at the front should help steering feel a bit.
I know a friend who ordered an adjustable rear ARB from Japan, and althgouh it improved a bit, even with KW V1 and a rear camber kit adjustment, the fact that you can't turn off ESP ended up eliminating the physical effect of these mods.

In my case I have that camber kit as well and I run with -1º than the stock recommendation, for the rear axle, this induces a more neutral chassis, and less understeer, without being dangerously tail happy at high speeds. However, when you want to pin point the front axle sharply with some lift-off oversteer, the ESP says "NO!". :)

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
With the camber kit how do you find the car in a straight line?

My Clio 172 Cup had increased front camber and whilst the handling was brilliant, it was very twitchy in a straight line.

But the steering on that car was also great, perfectly weighted and full of feel.

It also had Eibach pro-kit springs, top of the range KYB dampers and an additional adjustable anti roll bar at the back.

It was like a Go-kart around corners, but the ride was still very good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
With the camber kit how do you find the car in a straight line?

My Clio 172 Cup had increased front camber and whilst the handling was brilliant, it was very twitchy in a straight line.

But the steering on that car was also great, perfectly weighted and full of feel.

It also had Eibach pro-kit springs, top of the range KYB dampers and an additional adjustable anti roll bar at the back.

It was like a Go-kart around corners, but the ride was still very good.
Stock values for the 1.6 diesel are around -0.3º Front and -1.2º Rear. Lowered, the front, since it has no adjustability, goes to -1.0º and the rear goes to around -2.0º (this is the min you can get with the stock camber bolts on the rear). With the modifed control arm and new bolts I can set the rear to a min of -0.5ºC, which makes the front super alive, althgough dangerous in a straight line, so I set the rear to -1.3º and the car is good now, not oversteery and very neutral mid corner, and stable in a straight line.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts