Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Ive been told that all Giuliettas came with the same shock absorber specifications whether it was the base model or the top of the range Cloverleaf and that all Alfa done was change the spring rates and size depending on model

Is that true? Is it the same part number no matter what model?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cue first of all I'm so surprised that the cloverleaf had the same shocks as every other model

Secondly, those shoicks in your link are cheap, cheap cheap.

Ive actually ordered some B6 shock absorbers for my Cloverleaf as my insurance company confirmed it wouldn't affect the policy

Just was shocked when Volker at alfisti told me all Giuliettas had the same shocks.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I asked here about those cheap shocks and was told they are pretty poor.

I went for Bilstein B4 on mine and they made a vast improvement over the standard Sachs ones on standard springs.

The B6 should be ever better, if a bit stiffer.

After a while with the b4 and standard springs combo I invested in a set of Eibach pro-kit springs. They lowered the car about 40mm, although due to the car being very high to start with it now looks normal rather than lowered.

They improved the ride dramatically over the standard springs, but I don't think they have made much difference to the handling.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Symon, already got the eibachs on, so will be interesting to see what difference the B6 are going to makevto the handling

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
The GQV is considered a model in its own right by people on here but Fiat will try to achieve as much commonality as possible on part scheduling for economies of scale. The headlamps are the same etc. the engine is different and the suspension shares bits with the diesel that weighs the same as far as I know.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Hi Guys, Ive been told that all Giuliettas came with the same shock absorber specifications whether it was the base model or the top of the range Cloverleaf and that all Alfa done was change the spring rates and size depending on model

Is that true? Is it the same part number no matter what model?
aftermarket it might be true, but originally they all get different dampers... or at least different part numbers...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You do wonder though, if alfa are going to make a fast alfa, why not spend a bit of time sorting the suspension? There is saving money and being silly.

They were silly in this case for sure

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry cuore, are you saying the giulietta do have different spec shocks depending on model?

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Symon, already got the eibachs on, so will be interesting to see what difference the B6 are going to makevto the handling

I would think it will improve the car quite a lot.

I didn't try the eibachs in combination with the standard shocks myself because the standard shocks were barely up to the job of controlling the standard springs.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the UK, all the cars seem to have the same shocks, no matter what model. I'm not sure what you mean by dynamic suspension?

Are the later gqv,s got adjustable shocks in dynamic mode?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
why don't you check on Eper?

dynamic chassis, is what the veloces get.

There's 3 suspension choices, regular, dynamic and QV. Shocks aswell as springs* are different for each suspension. QV gets an exclusive suspension.

Top mounts can differ aswell between suspensions.

* in case of the 2.0 jtdm, the front springs are the same between regular and dynamic, but the rear springs are different as are the 4 shocks.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
When I took my old shocks off, I am pretty sure I asked here about them and they were the same as on the Veloce.

I am not totally convinced that the Veloce and Lusso Diesels got the same front springs either, as my Lusso was considerably higher than the Veloce cars I have seen with the same engine..

Doesn't much matter now anyway as I have Bilsteins and Eibachs, but the old springs are still in the shed.

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
I am pretty sure it can vary between supposedly identical cars.

After all, it might well depend on what the factory has to hand at the time...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi there, sorry for the silly question, but what's wrong with the original shocks and springs? I've the 1.4 TCT Veloce, I know that it feels a bit bumpy, what would a different set do?
Gerry

1 - 20 of 66 Posts