Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a G, my budgets not mega but what is going on with them, there seems to be no private sellers, they're all in the hands of dealers, doesn't anyone sell cars privately any more, I hate buying from garages, listening to their BS and their over inflated prices, been searching for three weeks to no avail!

R

·
0 Posts
I know it's not what you probably want to hear, but we got ours from Motorpoint, dealers still wanted big money for high mileage cars at the time. Massive saving on dealer prices and we had especially low mileage on our car. Only downside is that the 3rd year warranty was not passed on, but motorpoint gave us a 1 year warranty at time of purchase.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm looking for a G, my budgets not mega but what is going on with them, there seems to be no private sellers, they're all in the hands of dealers....
Plenty of legal advantages from buying from a dealer which you'll lose if buying private.

From personal experience I'd recommend carshop.co.uk as I got a cracking deal from them :thumbs:

·
Registered
35,747 Posts
As somebody who bought a new Giulietta almost three years ago I'm glad it's not a bargain used. I'm thinking about buying it at the end of the pcp . If they can charge inflated prices surely it means its desirable rather than " a lot of car for the money" ?

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I was watching the dealer stock where I bought mine from in January. My old 170 was bought within three weeks of me selling it to them. Odd really, because we bought my son a Citroen C1, which apparently are in short supply, and the dealer had had that for over six months - 08, 51k, good condition, strong colour not the most expensive around either.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
My old 170 was bought within three weeks of me selling it to them.
Doesn't surprise me as when I inquired was told "Alfa's don't hand around and we tend to see a fast turnover".

I think for all good examples that's true and would suggest a very healthy 2nd hand market.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
I thought that it was a bit spec dependent: big wheels and leather aid sales!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

Don't get excited guys, residuals are still poor, there are some high milers going for practically nothing, lots of fleet and ex hire too, I've also been to BCA it seems that the overall condition of most I've seen is poor. Perhaps with the G being more 'run of the mill' as opposed to enthusiasts car it's gotten into the wrong hands.

However, finding loved versions with all the bells and whistles, leather, parking sensors, nav, 170bhp, big wheels, these are holding their prices better but finding their way back to the stealers.................

Oh, I forgot to add, Motorpoint has been my best bet so far, £11500, 12 plate, Veloce, 17k, I think it's where I'll end up purchasing. Do they still source imports or are their cars UK sourced now?

·
Registered
35,747 Posts
Thanks for not getting us excited, then. Drink a bit more and visit other peoples bonfires , why don't you!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for not getting us excited, then. Drink a bit more and visit other peoples bonfires , why don't you!
Soory cue2, I have been searching for the right G within my budget for two weeks, travelled many miles and been to many garages, auctions, etc, so my post above is based on current experience.

It's difficult cause all of my other Alfas were bought privately from enthusiasts, they had been loved and cared for and probably in better condition/spec than when they left the factory, not so with the G...................

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Don't get excited guys, residuals are still poor, there are some high milers going for practically nothing, lots of fleet and ex hire too, I've also been to BCA it seems that the overall condition of most I've seen is poor. Perhaps with the G being more 'run of the mill' as opposed to enthusiasts car it's gotten into the wrong hands.

However, finding loved versions with all the bells and whistles, leather, parking sensors, nav, 170bhp, big wheels, these are holding their prices better but finding their way back to the stealers.................

Oh, I forgot to add, Motorpoint has been my best bet so far, £11500, 12 plate, Veloce, 17k, I think it's where I'll end up purchasing. Do they still source imports or are their cars UK sourced now?
Poor residuals? My 170 MA Lusso was £10'000 and it was the cheapest i could find. Given it had a list price new of £19'000, that is better than 50% after 3.5 years. I thought that was the benchmark of good residuals was 50% after 3 years and the best cars 60% (not counting cars like the fiat 500 and mini that seem to hold onto 90%).

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Soory cue2, I have been searching for the right G within my budget for two weeks, travelled many miles and been to many garages, auctions, etc, so my post above is based on current experience.

It's difficult cause all of my other Alfas were bought privately from enthusiasts, they had been loved and cared for and probably in better condition/spec than when they left the factory, not so with the G...................
I think you have answered your own question.

Any G is only going to be a maximum of 4 years old. Any enthusiast who cares for their car is unlikely to be looking to replace it just yet especially given that details of the new models are still to be confirmed. Hence the majority coming on the market will be from non enthusiasts whose cars you are rejecting as defined as uncared for.

As an ex company car driver I take exception to the criticism that all ex lease cars are in poor condition having been unloved. Mine would always have proved a bargain to the new owner and I know I was not unique.

·
Registered
104 Posts
try motorpark i got from them and it was best price i think 16k 2013 sportiva 12k miles .. and finance is really good with hp..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts