Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post my thoughts having owned a G QV for two years but recently swapped it for a Mini Clubman Cooper S. Not a usual comparison but spec for spec they are similair in price.

The first thing that struck me was the difference in build quaility. Although my G did not suffer too badly from rattles and quaility issues, the initial impression of materials used, general solidity and overall quaility, I am afraid the Mini is light years ahead of the G. In particular the plastics used in the G's interior are of a very poor quality compared to the Mini. The suspension on the G also suffered from occasional creaks, and in general at all felt a little fragile, even though nothing broke or fell off. The Mini by comparison feels as solid as a rock and of a single piece.

Too drive, I love both the G and the Mini although the Mini feels a little more chuckable. I was always impressed with the ride of the G and on balance it is slightly better than the Mini but by a surprisingly small margin. I think the Mini Clubman, with its slightly longer wheelbase has a more supple ride than the standard Mini hatch.

Performance wise, they are both very fast cars. On the balance I think I prefer the Mini, it has a more sporty sounding exhaust, where the noise from the G is absolutely non descript and boring. I liked using the DNA on the G but in D mode it always felt a little difficult to drive around town and when switching back from D to N it then feels flat.

Overall I think they are both excellent cars. I loved owning the G and loved the looks and would definitely consider an Alfa in the future. However I think Alfa still have a long way to go to challenge premium competitors when it comes to quality.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well, I did it the other way arround. My Clubman S MY 2008 was stolen from my driveway 2 months ago and I got me a GQV almost 2 weeks ago. Totally agree on the exhaust note. Mine was with the Factory JCW exhaust and that just sounded superb, with nice burbles. Interior plastics are indeed a bit better than in the GQV. Very playfull car, fast and nimble but with the KW suspension and RF tyres very harsh ride. Got mine tuned, software and bigger IC, 220hp and 340nm, which was programmed in sport mode. Much fun! But mine wasn't that reliable. Have had a lot of problems with it, from faulty sensors to worn turbo feed lines. In that aspect it didn't gave me that premium feeling.

My first impression of the GQV is that it's a much more mature car, more relaxed. More comfort. I think the GQV is about as fast as my Clubman S was in actual numbers although it doesn't feels that fast. GQV's torque comes in earlier, but the engine is out of breath sooner, a bit less sporty.

This was mine:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Got to say I reckon the Giulietta isn't just in a different league in terms of its looks, it's playing a whole dufferent sport. Never been a fan of any modern mini....

:)

·
Registered
39,122 Posts
Got to say I reckon the Giulietta isn't just in a different league in terms of its looks, it's playing a whole dufferent sport. Never been a fan of any modern mini....

:)
It was the countryman that used to worry me . But yesterday I saw a Paceman . That really is taking the pace.
Minis , Beetles ,Microbus and Nissan Figaro have an appeal for children ,but not for me. I saw a Giulietta on the motorway this morning and remembered how good they look !

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I was looking at lots of cars before I bought my G, one being a cooper JCW. sounded good and was quick but i just felt like a chav driving it and wasnt very comftable. Covered 500 miles in my new G now and loved every minute.

I hear people moaning about the exhaust note but the G, and even the QV i dont think was ment to appeal to the younger market who want loud exhaust. After just owning a car for 2 years with a full after market exhaust and induction kit, it was starting to drain me. personaly im happy that the g is fairly quiet as I was trying to get away from it.

I think the G is just more exclusive, much much better looking and far more grown up. Dont get me wrong the mini was great, build quality (although i wasnt impressed with the seats) speed etc i liked but no where near as much as the GQV.

I also think I have bought one just at the right time, with all the niggles at rattles ironed out. Shame to hear about others with problems, as the 2 years i had my mito there were no rattles or problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It was the countryman that used to worry me . But yesterday I saw a Paceman . That really is taking the pace.
Minis , Beetles ,Microbus and Nissan Figaro have an appeal for children ,but not for me. I saw a Giulietta on the motorway this morning and remembered how good they look !
At the weekend my wife and I were walking back to our G and passed a Paceman, I genuinely laughed out loud and commented "omg that's a gut churning parody of a car". Then I heard the clunk of the central locking. Yep, the unfortunate owner was 2 metres behind us:D Ah well.

I'm sure Sir Alec Issigonis is turning in his grave.

The only thing that has impressed me when I've driven Mini's is the handling. Everything else, including any perceived quality certainly hasn't impressed me in the least.

·
Registered
131 Posts
At the weekend my wife and I were walking back to our G and passed a Paceman, I genuinely laughed out loud and commented "omg that's a gut churning parody of a car". Then I heard the clunk of the central locking. Yep, the unfortunate owner was 2 metres behind us:D Ah well.

I'm sure Sir Alec Issigonis is turning in his grave.

The only thing that has impressed me when I've driven Mini's is the handling. Everything else, including any perceived quality certainly hasn't impressed me in the least.
I agree, my friend has got the mini diesel 4x4 Countryman, it has a very boring interior, the ride is very harsh, and noisy, to be honest its like being at the fairground on the dodgems. Also the exterior of the car looks boring. Sorry but when you put my Giulietta next to his car there is no comparison.:thumbs:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that the G is a better looking car than the Mini and I always enjoyed cleaning the G more than I do the Mini, even though the flex of the thin panels on the G alarmed me sometimes. I have to say when the Clubman first came out I did not like it at all and it is a very Marmite car, but it's grown on me and although there are loads of standard Mini's around the Clubman is a little more exclusive. The G and the Mini are second cars driven mainly by my other half. She hated the poor visibility on the G, particularly over the shoulder when reversing etc and it was one of the worse cars I have owned in that respect. I personally love them both and they are both a breath of fresh air from my daily driver a Land Rover Freelander!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I sold my 09 Mini Cooper S for QV, in my opinion the Mini is definitely more fun to drive, better handling and classier interior design. Though it was a big small so was impractical in some circumstances, harsh ride, interior rattle is the worst out of all cars I have owned, high maintenance cost cos of bmw..

·
Registered
431 Posts
I hear people moaning about the exhaust note but the G, and even the QV i dont think was ment to appeal to the younger market who want loud exhaust.
For me personally it's not about the volume, it's about an inspiring engine and exhaust sound, like the raspy sound of the TS engines for example. The GQV lacks this, it's dull sounding.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
MINIs are fun for a test-drive, but my impression of it was that it would be very tiring as a car to actually own, and it's not suited to the longer-distance driving that I do. At heart, they're B-Segment cars, and just like I wouldn't drive 500 miles a week in a Mito, I wouldn't contemplate it in a Mini either. It's not really a direct competitor for Giulietta, except in price, just like someone who needs a Mondeo isn't going to consider a Giulietta as an option.

I haven't tried the Clubman - It was never a car I saw a purpose for, and putting the big door on the wrong side just seems silly. Maybe it rides better than its shorter sibling.

I did try the Countryman, and it tries to retain the "sporty" character of the smaller car by the time honoured tradition of screwing the ride quality with over-firm suspension... German roads might be billiard-table smooth, but this thing is built in Coventry, for goodness sake!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Over here the Clubdoor was on the correct side :lol:. And that extra door made it much more practical. We drove it as our first car, with 2 kids in the back!! Really good fun, holiday trips to France or Italy, no problem at all. Compared to an 147 (I have had 2, a JTD and a GTA), I would say it's at least as good for longer-distance driving.

If it wasn't stolen, would be driving it for a couple of years still.

·
Registered
131 Posts
But have to agree look wise. The G is a classic beauty, the Clubman certainly isn't, but still it has some sort of appeal to me.
Driving the Mini is like going to bed with a mannequin, plastic, lifeless, soulless. Driving the Giulietta the mannequin come to life, beauty, passion:thumbs:

·
Registered
431 Posts
You can say a lot of things about the Mini, but not that it's soulless :rolleyes:. Driving it is more entertaining than driving the GQV. To be honest, damn close to the driving experience of the 33 16v that I owned and absolutely loved.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can say a lot of things about the Mini, but not that it's soulless :rolleyes:. Driving it is more entertaining than driving the GQV. To be honest, damn close to the driving experience of the 33 16v that I owned and absolutely loved.
Your right it is entertaining, I would go further and say it's comical.:lol:

G

·
Driving the Mini is like going to bed with a mannequin, plastic, lifeless, soulless. Driving the Giulietta the mannequin come to life, beauty, passion:thumbs:
Hi I think i'm qualified to respond to this having part ex'd a mini cooper d clubman for the G. Also I am a past owner of a cooper s and my partner has a cooper convertible. I've owned a few "high end" cars bmw, merc, audi etc and I would say that nothing gives you the alround driving feel of a mini. Forget the countryman and the other freakish designs, the bog standard mini is the one (16" wheels max!) with the clubman riding a bit softer and offering a bit more space. Yes they have their failings, the ride is firm, options bump the price up, although bluetooth and DAB is standard across the range and this and the usb/ media is light years ahead of blue and me! They also eat tyres driven hard! Inside I would say the materials are a bit plusher but not by much to be honest. As a drivers car they beat the G hands down in my opinion. Your probably wondering why I changed if I love mini's so much? I needed something bigger and decided the G was the best option out there price wise for a 2 year old car given the looks and perfomance of the G and the price for tyres etc
A little tip for you the best kept secret of the mini range is the convertible, a great car summer or winter and although maybe one for the ladies I personally love driving it with the roof down!

Michael.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Interested to read about the quAlity of the interior. My colleague at work has a cooper s and in my opinion the interior felt cheap - thick seats covered in fabric that moved about like a cheap seat cover. The roads locally are potholed and the ride on the 18" wheels was poor jarring even - not as supple as my giulietta. Knowing it was about the same price, I know which felt like the expensive, upmarket car....and it certainly wasn't the Mini. Personally I think you have to buy a lot from the options list to make it a more attractive purchase.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The Mini doesn't do anything for me. The standard Mini is inoffensive enough but the rest are awful looking.
My brother-in-law brought home a Cooper S convertible from work a few years back and it's one of the worst cars I've sat in. More squeaks and rattles than a nursery and the most back breaking crashing ride.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts