Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I will use this thread to share with you guys my trip to the UK to buy a Giulietta QV (2010) and drive it back to my home country, Malta.
The trip starts next Thursday the 21st and I will be driving via Laon (France), Turin (Italy) and Salerno (Italy), after which I will cross to Sicily from the strait of Messina and catch the ferry to Malta.

The car in question:
GetImage555.jpg

Giulietta QV, with 56000 miles (approx).
The dealer, Evans Halshaw, has agreed to change the cambelt and give it a full service prior to my arrival in the UK. (Got proof of job done)
The AA report looks very promising, showing very little signs of wear except for a bit of corrosion beneath the bonnet latch... they also sent me a photo of the corrosion.
corrosion.jpg

I will cure the corrosion once I get the car :) had the same issue with a Honda Civic I got from the UK too and the best cure for that is a cleanup and a splash of used diesel engine oil... then a cleanup from the oil and respray. (Any other suggestions are welcome)

The rest seems to be fine with it, all Green, even the tyres :thumbup:

This is the planned route:
Route.jpg

Any suggestions on what to look out for, is there a snow risk you might know of? Would I need snow chains or something?
I will be posting updates on this trip as we go along....
Cheers! JC

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Epic trip!

Snowfall has been almost non-existent. Legally you should carry chains
but there's little chance you'll get caught out this year.

·
Registered
35,759 Posts
What a trip!
My car has done 55000 miles with me from new and hasn't got corrosion like that. Is there evidence of a crash repair?
Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a trip!
My car has done 55000 miles with me from new and hasn't got corrosion like that. Is there evidence of a crash repair?
Good luck.
No AA guys said no crash repair detected at all.... either that corrosion is quite common in damp countries, or im unlucky with rust lol.... doesnt really worry me much anyway.

Quote from the report:
"The Alfa Romeo is in fair condition with no signs of body repairs or repainted panels. There are minor stone chips noted on the innerwheel arches, some scuff on the left hand sill underside, a touched in scuff on the left hand rear bumper corner and minor stone chipsto the front end bumper and bonnet. There is minor corrosion noted to the underside of the bonnet around the catch which requires treatment. Overall the Alfa is considered commensurate for a vehicle of this age and recorded mileage."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More AA images:
Engine bay looks clean, they said no oil/coolant etc leaks were noticed.
engine bay.jpg

They drove it too up to 65mph (should I believe them lol??)
green.PNG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the planned route:
Day 1:
London - Eurotunnel- Calais - Laon

Day 2:
Laon - Maranello (Emilia Romagna)

Day 3:
Maranello Ferrari Museum - Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, Imola (visiting Senna memorial, maybe circuit if open) - Massafra (Apulia)

Day 4:
Massafra - Messina Ferry - Taormina - Pozzallo - Ferry to Malta

BACK HOME!!

RouteV2.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trip starts tomorrow morning. Will give updates in the evening when I'm at the hotel in France with my laptop and wifi :)
Let's hope for the best! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,152 Posts
Great voyage!
Travel safe and keep us updated, please.

Reactions: jgre086

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE - Day 1
Purchase went smoothly, I still can't believe I bought the car.... what a beautiful drive to Laon!!
Weather was sunny and bright, though icy cold temperatures from what I'm used to in Malta :biglaugh:

Here's some images:
- On the Eurotunnel train
2016-01-21 14.08.20.jpg
2016-01-21 14.08.30.jpg
2016-01-21 14.08.45.jpg

- En route to Laon:
2016-01-21 16.05.22.jpg
2016-01-21 16.43.51.jpg
2016-01-21 17.05.12.jpg

Laon is a quaint little town with some really great restaurants!! We had a fantastic meal with Belgian gourmet beer, we really needed it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Tomorrow a long long long road to Maranello - 10hrs drive approx. Fuel consumption is quite impressive (approx 40mpg) and the car goes like an absolute train!! A full fuel tank gives approx 680km of range, which is amazing for all that power!

Au revoir, till tomorrow :D will give more updates in the evening. Off to sleep!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today was a day to remember.
10:40hrs of driving, 3 breaks of 30 mins.
We rocketed ourselves from Laon straight to Maranello, going through sceneries which remain imprinted in your brain.
The further towards the south of France, the better the scenery became. I should say the All Weather setting has come in handy throughout the voyage. At a point our windscreen washer froze!! Then i got some anti-freeze washer fluid which solved the problem and the jets opened up again haha!!
The area round Chamonix - Mont Blanc was amazing, my Alfa blended perfectly with the area:
SAM_1642.JPG
SAM_1643.JPG
SAM_1644.JPG
SAM_1645.JPG

The more I drive this car, the more she gets beneath my skin.... :vs_love:

We are staying at the Maranello Village which is a Ferrari themed hotel....really cool concept!
The Paddock Restaurant situated within the village is amazing, the food was brilliant and not overpriced which makes it one of the best restaurants in the area!
Here's some photos of the reception area:
SAM_1648.JPG
SAM_1651.JPG

Tomorrow we're visiting the Ferrari Museum here at Maranello, then Imola's Senna Memorial at the Parco Acque Minerali, then straight to Massafra.
Driving in Italy is very intense. You gotta watch out for the crazy truck drivers.
Else it's bliss!!
Good night y'all!! Will catch up tomorrow, hope you like the pics.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Definitely liking the pix.......what a cracking way to get to know your new car :)

Shared a Giulietta JTDm for a quick (2-day) trip from UK to Milan and back.......it coped very well :)

Reactions: jgre086

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, what a fantastic way to buy a car and get to know it. :thumbs:

·
Registered
35,759 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today, another day to remember.
My Juliet whizzing past the Italian motorways like a Queen.
I couldn't help but visit the Imola circuit on my way to the South of Italy, and finally get in touch with the aura of Ayrton Senna, my all time F1 hero:
2016-01-23 13.27.59.jpg
2016-01-23 13.28.03.jpg

I was lucky enough to also find the Imola parking open where i could take some shots on the circuit area.

2016-01-23 13.41.45.jpg
2016-01-23 13.42.10.jpg
Thank you Italy.
2016-01-23 13.43.14.jpg

We finally got to the Apulia region, which is the no1. place in Europe for food and drink.... just had an amazing dinner in the agriturismo Un agriturismo tutto da gustare where it's possible to have an epic dinner for under 15eur each..... honestly, me and my mate drank 1.5 litres of excellent red wine + meat and antipasti...
A place to visit at least once.
It's the second time I've been there and I'm now looking forward to my third.
I'm currently in B&B Narcore` in Massafra, and off to sleep. Long day tomorrow once again to Pozzallo and hopefully, get back safely at home with my trophy, my very own Giulietta QV.
Updates will be given tomorrow + lots of pics.
Good night,
JC

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally I'm back home!! This trip was so worthwhile... and the Alfa never missed a beat, an exceptional ride!!
Tomorrow I'll edit and post some photo highlights from yesterday. Now I'm exhausted and will get some sleep :)
Cheers!! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some photos of the final leg:
Awaiting the strait of Messina ferry...
2016-01-24 13.25.51.jpg
2016-01-24 13.26.40.jpg

Spot the TWO Alfas on the ferry haha!!
2016-01-24 14.01.06.jpg

My car had sweet company with her grand-aunt, Giulia on the ferry to Malta!
2016-01-24 18.06.10.jpg

Welcome home, Giuly :)
2016-01-26 07.48.42.jpg
2016-01-26 10.15.08.jpg

Thanks to all for following my adventure!!
JC

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Nice little trip, do you drive on the left in Malta? That is going to be some journey back to the dealer should you need to exercise the warranty.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts