Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody!

I'm thinking in buying a Giulietta QV, but I'm not sure about the transmission, I have read in so many reviews that the TCT is pretty erratic and slow, that when you are driving at normal city speed, pretty often doesn't get to the right gear.
on other hand the TCT version takes 6s from 0 to 100km, I'm guessing because of the lunch control?, and the manual 6.8s.

I live in Chile and the test drive here is sooo short that I couldn't really decide

I will appreciate any comments

thanks!!

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
It depends entirely what YOU want from the car.

If you are absolutely determined that you want to experience the extra 8/10ths of a second you'll gain from the transmission management and extra power then go for the TCT.

There simply is not a single solution for these transmissions some people dislike the TCT and find it cumbersome, some think it's the best thing since sliced bread. The new QV ~2014/15 is only available with TCT, so you will find yourself spending more. The launch editions come with extra plastic bling dotted around, or you can probably buy most of it for the old one from the accessories website.

You may find the TCT better if you are sat around in traffic all of the time, so you can let the automatic do the work for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had my 2015 QV for about 6 months or so now, and I'm absolutely loving the TCT. I don't know if Alfa have reworked or tweaked the TCT unit much over the past few years, so perhaps early units gave a bad impression. But the transmission that they're putting in the current car is very impressive. I have only had manual gearbox cars up to now, but I have driven a Skoda with the VW-group "DSG" twin-clutch auto, which is very similar tech to the TCT. The DSG box didn't impress me much, but I love the TCT.

Changes are fast, smooth, and often you can't even feel them (you only notice because the revs change). I certainly haven't experienced anything that I would call "erratic".

Around town, if you leave the DNA switch in Normal mode, it goes for economy and changes up as soon as it can. If you drive gently it'll slur the changes nicely and you get a very refined experience. For dense traffic when you're stopping and starting it really beats having to pump a clutch pedal.

Pop it into "D" and it becomes a different beast - revs are kept higher to keep the engine in the power band, and you can feel it become much more eager to be let off the leash. Turn onto a motorway slip road and squeeze the throttle to get up to speed and you really appreciate how quickly and smoothly it can upshift.

And if you want to feel more involved, tap the paddles or knock the lever over to manual, and enjoy choosing exactly when to shift for yourself. Great fun on a twisty country road.

My only (minor) gripe is that the steering wheel paddles could have been nicer (they are small and plasticky - a nice solid-feeling metal paddle would have been great).

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
metal paddles are also cold in winter, and hot if left in the sun...

tct has changed between mito and giulietta, but there were no major changes since then... and it was a software change only, I believe

·
Registered
767 Posts
I've got a TCT QV and for my first auto I find it a bit disappointing. It can be really dim witted and confused sometimes but more round town or when you go from sedate driving to giving it some stick (changes up to fast when you wanna hold the revs!).

Saying that though, when it's on point, it's a beast especially in launch control or using the kick down

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a July 2015 QV in manual (in Australia). I am told it was one of the last available. Have to say the feeling of blasting onto a freeway on ramp is just the same with the manual - just with more input!

PS I now have two red manual Italian sports cars in my garage (the other being a 1968 Fiat 124 AC coupe). Life is good.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
If I had the choice I would have the manual.

I know the TCT is very good, but I just prefer that extra control a manual gives.

Sadly Manual gearboxes are going to be a dying breed, as TCT type transmissions generally give better fuel economy and emissions than a manual on the official test.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had my 2015 QV for about 6 months or so now, and I'm absolutely loving the TCT. I don't know if Alfa have reworked or tweaked the TCT unit much over the past few years, so perhaps early units gave a bad impression. But the transmission that they're putting in the current car is very impressive. I have only had manual gearbox cars up to now, but I have driven a Skoda with the VW-group "DSG" twin-clutch auto, which is very similar tech to the TCT. The DSG box didn't impress me much, but I love the TCT.

Changes are fast, smooth, and often you can't even feel them (you only notice because the revs change). I certainly haven't experienced anything that I would call "erratic".

Around town, if you leave the DNA switch in Normal mode, it goes for economy and changes up as soon as it can. If you drive gently it'll slur the changes nicely and you get a very refined experience. For dense traffic when you're stopping and starting it really beats having to pump a clutch pedal.

Pop it into "D" and it becomes a different beast - revs are kept higher to keep the engine in the power band, and you can feel it become much more eager to be let off the leash. Turn onto a motorway slip road and squeeze the throttle to get up to speed and you really appreciate how quickly and smoothly it can upshift.

And if you want to feel more involved, tap the paddles or knock the lever over to manual, and enjoy choosing exactly when to shift for yourself. Great fun on a twisty country road.

My only (minor) gripe is that the steering wheel paddles could have been nicer (they are small and plasticky - a nice solid-feeling metal paddle would have been great).
I agree with everything you said, the TCT in the 2015 QV is fantastic. I had a 2012 GMA TCT before the QV and the difference is like night and day. Alfa did a really good job on the new one, the software is vastly improved. Automatic mode in D is brilliant and I find it perfect for almost all driving conditions. On the motorway I use D with the paddles. I've driven DSG, Powershift etc. but prefer the latest TCT by some margin. I could never go back to pumping a clutch again, can't see the point when a dual clutch box is as good as this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you very much to everybody!.
good to know that the TCT is improved and I think I will go for it.

thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts