Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thinking of buying a 2nd hand Giulietta. Not sure whether to go for the 170hp veloce or all out for the quadrofoglio. I've previously had a 155 and a 156, got sensible for 10 years, now maybe back to alfa again. Looking for advice from owners on both types, what's good about them, what's bad. What to look out for when looking at 2nd hand models. Most of the driving will be done on country roads rather than motorways. Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
there's not a single version to avoid really. from the 105hp engines up to the 240hp quadrifoglio. The most likely to cause some grief is the early 170 bhp MA, not sure if the late ones are 100% free of trouble though.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I ran a manual QV for 4 and a half years and 48000 miles.

Issues outside servicing were only minor:
Rocker gasket leaking oil to cylinder 1
Split coolant pipe

It likes a set of front tyres every 7500 miles but I ran ditchfinders until the last set of Goodyear eagle f1 which looked like they would run forever

Got about 30mpg over the time I had it.

·
Registered
Alfa-natic
49 Posts
they are now dirty cheap, get the QV, otherwise you will regret not doing it..... you know...go hard or go home :) , and of course manual QV , not the granny-version TCT one...

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
there's not a single version to avoid really. from the 105hp engines up to the 240hp quadrifoglio. The most likely to cause some grief is the early 170 bhp MA, not sure if the late ones are 100% free of trouble though.
I had an early one and replaced it with another new 2017 model. No problems with the second and caught the first hint of MA misfire and switched it off immediately rather than putting my foot down to rev it to health. No probs with that MA either, just the tailgate wires fixed under warranty , clips failing on gearknob top. Oh and the synchro first to second gear fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Got a 1.4ma veloce 2011 vintage. For a little 1.4 it’s powerful enough and touch wood engine has been fine,just had routine servicing, belts,filters etc and an offside engine mount.

I find the car to be ok just the typical Italian build quality. Noisy cabin due to practically zero sound deadening.

Had to change rear shocks at 90k as they were dead along with rear trailing arm to body bush’s, rear tyres were stepped..
Didn’t realise how bad shocks and bushes were worn until I had changed them. Rear end nowhere near as skittish.
Got the upper and lower rear hub bushes to change aswell as they are soft and causing some Neg camber.

In all honesty if I was buying again I would most likely go with the 1.7tbi, not really arsed with fuel cost and lower tax/insurance just got the 1.4 as it was a good price in decent condition at the time I was looking.

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
I would go with the 1.7 if going for another Giulietta.
Then get a decent remap on it, it would go like a little rocket.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 1.4 MA 170, The weird thing is on paper it is quicker than my old 1.9JTDM GT, perceptively it seems slower and as this is thought by myself, my wife and my son. I miss the torque of the diesel engine and as much as I really like the revvy 1.4 petrol, I really wish I bought the 1750!

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
Old fashioned engineering feels faster. My Guilietta MA averaged miles an hour higher average speed on the trip computer than my 147Q2 1.9 jtdm because it was better engineered. It did seem slower but two generations better in engineering.

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
they are now dirty cheap, get the QV, otherwise you will regret not doing it..... you know...go hard or go home :) , and of course manual QV , not the granny-version TCT one...
About time I brought up the usual criticism of the pedal packaging of the rhd manual cars...
A good reason for some people to go for the TCT version.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Mine's auto, it's my first automatic and I love it. I do miss the torque of the 2.4 diesel but the QV goes like a stabbed rat, if you want it to.

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
The 1.7 TB can suffer from fuel getting into the oil. Probably about as rare/common as Multiair issues. Probably worth a search.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Depends on what you are after TBH. It it's speed, then yes the QV.

If it's styling and luxury then it's the "QV-Line", you are after.

In my opinion, I believe the QV-Line has the best looking interior by far. Remember the seats in the 2014+ QV's although are certainly comfy, they are a full manual affair with no arm rest or heating.

I originally wanted a QV, I had the choice of a white or grey one, However, they both were sitting next to an Alfa Red QV line with tan leather seats, door cards and dash. It had all the extras the QV had apart from the engine. It also had darker windows than the QV, which looked great against the red paint. My wife hated the QV seats and it made the space in the back even more limited. It in the end it was just the engine it had going for it! Which made it a hard sell to the wife! haha.

I have toyed with getting a QV, however the saying "if i hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor" springs to mind. By that I mean, I could get a Gen 1 QV which are cheap, but I couldn't live with the old interior now. If I went to a 2015+ QV/Veloce, i would honestly take the interior out the QV and swap it with my existing one! So, with that in mind i'll probably move on to a Giulia now! Or a 4C if I divorce the wife :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Buy a QV, put it into "D" mode, will take you 20 minutes to stop giggling. ;)

Best bang for buck you can buy!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts