Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
I am thinking of replacing my wifes 159 1.9 jtdm with a 1.4 tb multiair 170 giulietta,
I would like to know how quick this car feels? and what kind of real world fuel economy is being achieved? Also are there any major issues that I need to be aware of???
currently she only does short trips and averages about 8000 miles a year with the odd trip to Europe....is the car suitable for long journeys?
any help from current or previous owners would be great!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It feels pretty quick in dynamic mode but a little sluggish in natural. This might be down to the TCT gearbox in mine though.

I'm getting 31mpg out of mine and that's not hammering it so don't expect much better.

There are some issues with the multi air I believe.... Others might know more.

If you can get over the MPG it's good on longer journeys.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
hi all
I am thinking of replacing my wifes 159 1.9 jtdm with a 1.4 tb multiair 170 giulietta,
I would like to know how quick this car feels? and what kind of real world fuel economy is being achieved? Also are there any major issues that I need to be aware of???
currently she only does short trips and averages about 8000 miles a year with the odd trip to Europe....is the car suitable for long journeys?
I've travelled from central Scotland to London regularly, around 500 miles, with no problems. On a long trip low 40s is perfectly achievable, around town mid to high 30s.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hi all
I had a GMA TCT for 3 years and it was a fantastic car on long trips. It cruises absolutely effortlessly, quiet and with plenty of go for overtaking. Being a petrol it will never have the torque of a diesel but the Giulietta is much lighter than the 159 and you feel it in the performance and the handling. Considering it is a 1400 performance is excellent, certainly way better than a Golf or Focus for instance. If you drive it hard you'll use a lot of fuel just like with any turbo vehicle but I averaged around 32mpg in mixed driving and around 37mpg on long trips. I was happy with that, the GMA punches above its weight when it comes to performance and that has to come from somewhere. I was very happy with my car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
hi all
It's going to feel a bit quicker than the 159 I would say.
Over 34000 miles mine achieves between 35 and 40 mpg for each tank. Low 40s requires a light foot.
Some early cars had gearbox issues (hard to get into 1st), multiair unit issues. I think later ones are generally better. Seats have a bit more support from 2014.
Overall it's hard to fault the performance of the multiair petrol.

Reactions: Mike Multiair

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I've owned a 1.4 MA 170 for 4.5 years - absolutely no issues, average fuel consumption 39 MPG from the trip computer, 38 real without much hassle, went for a trip to Croatia (940 miles, of course not in one go - 2 days) and to Italy (925 miles, 2 days) and it was a pleasant time spent :).
All in all a very good engine, though it lacks character a bit.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
hi all
The 170 MA feels very quick in D mode and you are looking at 32 to 42mpg depending on driving style.

The engine is fantastic. Try and buy something on a 62 plate or later. The early ones had lots of teething problems, particularly with suspension and gearbox.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. ...I think I need to drive one first and maybe try and diesel just for comparison. ....why are white cars so much dearer than any other colours? Guess what colour the missus wants!!!

·
Registered
38,665 Posts
White is only more expensive at the moment because it is in fashion. It wasn't long ago that you couldn't give white cars away unless they were cheaper than other colours.

Personally I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one...

I think the best Giulietta colours are red (especially Alfa red) and Black.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red for me too!!!!! It's an Alfa but as I'm choosing her car for her rather than letting her pick some god awful 4x4 suv nonsense I better let her get the colour she wants??? Not sure if White is worth a grand extra tho.........

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
My wife drives a white Kuga but I think white is a waste of Giulietta and can't believe it commands a premium especially as it's the most common "colour" for the model.

·
Registered
36,695 Posts
Fantastic marketing coup. Charge £500 extra for paint that costs less than all the others. Red costs much more in pigment and gives a great tonal range and shiny reflections. But then I love the Matt Grigio which has no shine!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Please test drive a 2.0 140 before you decide - i've a 159ti 1.9 and the G 1.9 blows it out of the water. The Torque is bonkers in 'D' mode, hard not to wheelspin in 1st in the wet.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Fantastic marketing coup. Charge £500 extra for paint that costs less than all the others. Red costs much more in pigment and gives a great tonal range and shiny reflections. But then I love the Matt Grigio which has no shine!

Believe there is some sort of index. Its name escapes me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just bought a white MA170 TCT QVline ex-demo with only 110 miles on the clock at a bargain price so I'm not sure white commands a premium! Looks great with the dark wheels, mirrors etc., but as I live in the country it'll probably spend most of its life two-tone brown and dirty.

My previous JTDm170 Veloce cost me nowt but fuel and tyres in two years so I was quite confident in buying another Alfa :).

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Please test drive a 2.0 140 before you decide - i've a 159ti 1.9 and the G 1.9 blows it out of the water. The Torque is bonkers in 'D' mode, hard not to wheelspin in 1st in the wet.
You can wheelspin the MA in 3rd on wet...

Wysłane z mojego LG-D620 przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You can wheelspin the MA in 3rd on wet...

Wysłane z mojego LG-D620 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Sounds good - i like the torque of diesel units but need to test the MA for a comparison...i'd imagine the delivery is more linear and prolonged

1 - 20 of 26 Posts