Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What's your take on used Giulietta prices? I prefer to buy a car outright rather than 'purchase' a car on finance. Each to their own.

The prices of used Giuliettas seem to be quite high - even for a 5 year old example. Higher mileage models seem to still be around the £5,500 mark for one in relatively good shape. Lower mileage cars in excellent condition seem to be way higher!

Similarly, for 159 Sportwagons, which are a relatively old car now, prices are really high for a nice TI model.

I'm trying to sell my 159 and have bought a 156 as a stop-gap although it is utterly delightful in every aspect! I think it's best to wait for the prices of Giuliettas to come down a little. Having said that, prices don't appear to be falling much and it looks like you'd need to spend approx £7,000 for something nice.

All a bit of a dilemma!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Higher mileage models seem to still be around the £5,500 mark for one in relatively good shape. Lower mileage cars in excellent condition seem to be way higher!
The downside of Alfa Romeo's ever-improving product quality, I guess :) Giulietta was a "moderately" successful car in the UK market with nothing like the sales numbers of the German options, but on the other hand time has proven it to be a reliable and relatively fault-free product.

These two things leave the second-hand buyer up against a low supply of used cars and high demand for them.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
I think it depends, prices for classifieds cars seem to be quite firm.

But I saw on ebay the other day a 60 plate 170bhp Lusso Diesel (although the power wasn't mentioned on the listing) with 70k on it ended up at £4000 reserve not met.

I would sell mine if you are interested? It is a very nice example, and I would want less than 7K for it. ;)

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
Hi all,

What's your take on used Giulietta prices? I prefer to buy a car outright rather than 'purchase' a car on finance. Each to their own.

The prices of used Giuliettas seem to be quite high - even for a 5 year old example. Higher mileage models seem to still be around the £5,500 mark for one in relatively good shape. Lower mileage cars in excellent condition seem to be way higher!

Similarly, for 159 Sportwagons, which are a relatively old car now, prices are really high for a nice TI model.

I'm trying to sell my 159 and have bought a 156 as a stop-gap although it is utterly delightful in every aspect! I think it's best to wait for the prices of Giuliettas to come down a little. Having said that, prices don't appear to be falling much and it looks like you'd need to spend approx £7,000 for something nice.

All a bit of a dilemma!

Considering many of the people reading your observation may have spent £20000 or more on our Giuliettas a few years ago I think it will be reassuring for people that the cars have held onto their value pretty well!
The Giulietta is not in stop gap mode for a while yet.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I got mine nearly a year ago, it was 5 years old and done 32000 miles, was 9000. I was looking for a long time and that was about the lowest price for a ma veloce with similar age/mileage. Doesn't seem to have dropped a huge amount in the time I have had it.

did surprise me a bit too as when I got my 156 it was also 5 years old, 48000 miles and cost me 3500. That car was an absolute bargain. But its good alfas are holding their value better and hopefully shaking off their out of date unreliable tag.

Sent from my D5103 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I have a 2010 jtdm-2 veloce in very very good condition with about 55k on the clock and I went to an Alfa Dealer today who would give me just £5k for a part exchange with a brand new Veloce TBI, based upon the fact that I service the car myself even though money has been no object, that's the best part of £30k for my new car. Not sure where Alfa stand these days with customer loyalty? Then I went to a Nissan garage and you won't beleive what £30k can get you!!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have a 2010 jtdm-2 veloce in very very good condition with about 55k on the clock and I went to an Alfa Dealer today who would give me just £5k for a part exchange with a brand new Veloce TBI, based upon the fact that I service the car myself even though money has been no object, that's the best part of £30k for my new car. Not sure where Alfa stand these days with customer loyalty? Then I went to a Nissan garage and you won't beleive what £30k can get you!!
The new Veloce price seems expensive! Mangos are giving £5400 off list at the moment if you put £5500 deposit down with 0% finance!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Would agree with you on every car they do apart from the Skyline.
For speed and handling the Skyline, especially the GTR, not too many cars come close, but in terms of body styling, and interior design, I still prefer the Italian touch.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Just go on their website, the daal is on there and then give them a ring tomorrow. Ask if Jamie is in, I normally find him good to deal with.
If they've got any left they are showing GQV at £6500 off and about £250 cheaper list price with 1.5% interest and low deposit, but if you put your trade in as deposit could be lower interest or 0%.

Personally, I don't think the latest facelift they have done is radically different so if you could get a hell of a deal on a GQV it could be worth looking at. I've looked at the new 175 tct Diesel Speciale which has replaced the Exclusive spec and it is quite a bit more expensive than my Exclusive was and the new Super spec has too much missing off it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the Run out GQV "looks" faster than the latest facelift. The green four leaf clover means business ;). Also the side windows in chrome makes for a more premium look

I

·
0 Posts
the Run out GQV "looks" faster than the latest facelift. The green four leaf clover means business ;). Also the side windows in chrome makes for a more premium look
Part exchanged my 60 plate 'G' Veloce on 11th March 16 with 23,970 miles for £6,200 at Mercedes. Bought it March 15 for £10,000.
It had a few bodywork issues when i sold it.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I think the prices for a new GQV are an absolute rip-off. I think the used prices for these cars is absolutely spot on. But then, most people don't ever pay the ~£30,000 they can be speced up to.

£10,000 for a used GQV is a very attractive prospect. The powerplant is fabulous, it has plenty of grip, it feels sporty, it handles well, but will settle into a great family car or shove stuff into when you need it.

~£28,000 for a new GQV? Bonkers; especially when the Focus ST for less than that at the point of specification is a much better car. Fortunately these cars depreciate quickly to a point (especially in QV form) where they actually become reasonable and great value cars. Maybe, just maybe ~£25,000 on the upper spec is acceptable without any of the lease or PCP nonsense that occurs afterwards. Not a massive drop in price, but I think that is what the car is really worth, including the full leather seats, useless radio-nav (which we fortunately don't have on ours) and some other bits of useless tat thrown in for good measure.

*IF* some of the even more useless tat like the plastic things that can be stuck onto the front, sides and rear of the car were added (I think the useless plastic tat looks quite nice on the car, especially on the matt grey ones :lol:), I think that could be pushed to £26,000, but even then I'd be doubting myself.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think chrome trim is a little old fashioned. I guess that's why they took it of the front grille too, also the dark alloys look far better than shiny ones. The dark trim and dark alloys really make the car quite powerful looking, imho :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
~£28,000 for a new GQV? Bonkers; especially when the Focus ST for less than that at the point of specification is a much better car. Fortunately these cars depreciate quickly to a point (especially in QV form) where they actually become reasonable and great value cars. Maybe, just maybe ~£25,000 on the upper spec is acceptable without any of the lease or PCP nonsense that occurs afterwards. Not a massive drop in price, but I think that is what the car is really worth, including the full leather seats, useless radio-nav (which we fortunately don't have on ours) and some other bits of useless tat thrown in for good measure.

*IF* some of the even more useless tat like the plastic things that can be stuck onto the front, sides and rear of the car were added (I think the useless plastic tat looks quite nice on the car, especially on the matt grey ones :lol:), I think that could be pushed to £26,000, but even then I'd be doubting myself.[/QUOTE]

But they are not £28k - after discount you would pay about £23k new?

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
But they are not £28k - after discount you would pay about £23k new?
I'm not disputing that. What I am saying is that is the cost of the car before the discounts/PCP/finance shuffling.

Another way to invert the problem is that one can have a complete spec Focus ST-3 at a maximum price of ~£30,000 before any discounts. To load everything onto the GQV before discounts I can get to a maximum price of £35,000 for a car which is less technically able. I can even add the styling pack to the Focus for a shade over £500. Too add all of the plastic work to the GQV would cost well over £1000! For some plastic that I'd have to glue on myself!

Even the Recaro do-everything sports seats don't add a whacking great overpriced premium to the car, it stays below the £30,000. And that's before discounts. Even in the case that Alfa would sell you one of these at a lower margin, they can't often touch the finance deals that you can get with Ford.

So for that cost, you can have a fundamentally better engine, a fundamentally better gearbox (okay, I'm comparing the two manuals here, but still) and you can get all kinds of stuff thrown in for cheap.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts