Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi G Owners

I haven't test driven a G but I'd like to know if they are true Alfas?

I've always owned FIATS/Lancias or Alfas and in recent times I considered a 159 and a Brera. However, on test driving them they felt nulified, devoid of any Alfa characteristics.

Ok, they look like Alfas but I felt they were too refined, I felt detached from the driving experience, they felt a million miles from the 75, GT, 147 that I'd owned. The ones I owned felt like Italian cars, lovely to drive, engaging and there is always that sense of them breaking or falling apart which adds to the experience and satisfies the tinkering enthusiast.

My test drives were only twenty minutes so I only got a snapshot of how they felt but it was enough to stop me buying them and the 159 JTS felt woefully underpowered.

So, have Alfa reinstalled the spirit, or is the G another run of the mill (allbeit pretty) reliable, refined, unengaging Eurobox? Only long term ownership can answer this question...........

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
There are many of us who have gone from the 147 to the Giulietta & we all pretty much agree that it is a step up.

At the end of the day you will have to drive it yourself to decide.

But it is a proper Alfa.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've looked through some of the older Alfa car areas, and yes the giulietta is more reliable but does have niggles if thats what you want it to be and gives you stuff to work on.

It is lighter than the last generation cars and is easy to drive but has feeling throughout, so its easy to spend more time appreciating its alfa-ness and packs more power to match the weight so you can have a lot of fun. I recommend a QV for you to give you as much power and the suspension to give you more feel to the drive.

I wasn't around for the older Alfa years so I don't know if what I've described is what your looking for, you will never get nostalgia back with anything that's new and has evolved but it does make you feel special to own and drive a Giulietta.

·
Registered
297 Posts
With all my trips back to the dealers to get things fixed, and the bizarre dashboard electrical fault messages that miraculously clear themselves after 48 hours..... then yes, I'd say it was a true Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.

I appreciate it's a step up from the 147, that's progression and evolution, but I just wanted to know if the car gave you that feeling, that x-factor because far too many Euro boxes are clinical to drive.

I recently owned a New Bravo Sport and I didn't feel at one with it, still missing rear independant suspension, horrible electric power steering and soft suspension, totally nulified, no sense of driver involvement, just like my Mrs new Astra and her Golf before it. I know, I know modern cars are more refined blah blah but to me refined = boring.

I'll have to test a G and see if they'll let me have one for a day to get a better feel for it!

·
Registered
34,780 Posts
Try the Giulietta . There was a guy on here who had a Bravo followed by a Giulietta and he and a friend of mine who's tried both can vouch for the difference!

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's an inert chassis with electric steering, fly by wire throttle and a turbo. 'Connected' it is not.

You can steer with the rear but it's easier in ther cars, plus you cannot turn the driver aids off which is a negative IMO.

It's a very capable car and it's more engaging than some of the competition but a 'sports' focus or Megan has it for dynamics.

I love mine but I didn't get into it looking for a driver focused experience.

D

·
0 Posts
More importantly try a 2014 Giulietta, quieter, sharper, improved rear suspension and that's plus better driving position

·
Registered
34,780 Posts
More importantly try a 2014 Giulietta, quieter, sharper, improved rear suspension and that's plus better driving position

I'm getting mine serviced next week , so I'll be interested to take a look . In theory I'm going to wait for the end of the pcp......
What's this about the rear suspension ?

D

·
0 Posts
Just a few revisions in materials to help with the NVH in the car, made my car sound noisy on way home :-(

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Try the Giulietta . There was a guy on here who had a Bravo followed by a Giulietta and he and a friend of mine who's tried both can vouch for the difference!
Yes we went from a Bravo Sport to the Giuli. They are like night and day. The Bravo was a great car for what it was, but the steering was over light and lacked feel. The car was very neutral, not particularly engaging.

The Giuli is much more planted, the steering is leaps ahead, better weighted and does have feel (though not as much as my GTA). It can also be steered on the throttle, lift off, nose tucks in in a way the Bravo never did

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting reports from you guys, thanks.

As for 2014 model, I can't afford a brand new one. Have they made many revisions? It only seems like yesterday I was waiting for the G launch and searching Google for spyshots, my how time flies..............

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
From what I have seen it doesn't look like you can get a 170 diesel anymore with manual gearbox (or 175 as it is now)

R

·
0 Posts
I came to the G from a 147 and they both share similar feel from the chassis. I can feel the balance of the car change when my son utches up the seat in the back, so not sure how you can describe it as inert? However I must admit I am also a bit dissapointed that you can't switch off the driver aids. My 147 only had ASR and you could turn it off. but give the G the beans on a roundabout and it slides the front so predictably I love it, I find the angles required for the electronic Q2 to kick in depend on the diameter of the turn? Not sure what will happen if we get into opposite lock territory, but it hasn't snowed in Aldi's car park yet!! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
It doesn't under steer unless you drive like a twonk I'll say that, but compared with a renault sport clio or a 205 gti its inert.

It's better than the Astra/audi a3/merc a class alternatives, all of which are very dull drives - but I can't put my hand on my heart and say its great drive.

R

·
0 Posts
I haven't done it in my Giulietta but I could run rings around most people on the outside lane of a roundabout in my 147 with the missus hanging on for grim death. Peugeot chassis is very similar in feedback but the shorter wheel base of a Clio can get you into easier mistakes more quickly!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll put it this way, in 2010 at Arese (100th celebrations at the museum) my brother and I went for ride in Giulietta QV being driven by an enthusiastic Alfa dealer salesman. Anyone that's been there knows there is a large roundabout on leaving the property and this guy planted it on approach and turned left with such g-force generated my brother had coins fly out of his pocket. With no hint of understeer it just hunkered down half way through the turn as he floored it again. I was hooked.

Took me three years to give up my brilliant handling 2006 147 2.0TS but I got my Giulietta and I'm loving it.

PS If I ever have a daughter I might buy them a clio/pug when they turn 10.:p

R

·
0 Posts
It doesn't under steer unless you drive like a twonk I'll say that, but compared with a renault sport clio or a 205 gti its inert.

It's better than the Astra/audi a3/merc a class alternatives, all of which are very dull drives - but I can't put my hand on my heart and say its great drive.
I'm a bit worried now cos my car is easy to slide but you got to be brave with the throttle, I cant imagine coins coming out of my pocket, but I do notice the Q2 tramp on tighter corners.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts