Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , new to this site got a giulietta 2.0 Jtdm veloce-2 around 4 weeks ago and it is my pride and joy ! However last night I seen on my dash a warning light to " check reverse lights " my right one isn't working , I've changed the bulb to no prevail , any ideas ? Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey guys , new to this site got a giulietta 2.0 Jtdm veloce-2 around 4 weeks ago and it is my pride and joy ! However last night I seen on my dash a warning light to " check reverse lights " my right one isn't working , I've changed the bulb to no prevail , any ideas ? Any help would be much appreciated
First port of call should be the tailgate rubber sleeves, at the top, either side. Usually broken wires in there, well known fault, lots about on this site.:ponder:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I don't. but they're available on ebay though. I'm not bothered so far though, soldering in a new piece of wire takes me all of 5 minutes. Conjuring up the will to remove the boot and inspect the damage is proving a lot harder :(

I got the same issue right now. My car is a 2013 and I'm the sole owner. The wiring issue hadn't been solved by then, that's for sure.

·
Registered
36,875 Posts
The dealer must have used Alfa loom replacement parts on my warranty job; £800 including labour.
They'd only be drive-handed if the fog was only on one side?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The dealer must have used Alfa loom replacement parts on my warranty job; £800 including labour.
They'd only be drive-handed if the fog was only on one side?
That's what I thought, so can anyone supply the proper OEM loom? Alfa probably contracted this out to another company, so any ideas? It might mean removing the rear headlining but if I could get another 6 years out of the car without the fear of every wire failing I think I would pay the time and money.

·
Registered
36,875 Posts
The OEM part for the repair is a patch that's joined somewhere to the part inside the roof , requiring the headliner to be dropped . This may be of a more flexible wire. I stil use the tailgate less now than I did in the first three years!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I know what you are looking at but I mean that I want the whole loom the kit on Ebay is more like fitting new hinges, just bridging the part that moves. As CUE2 says I'm starting to use the boot less because of this issue.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I also have this problem now on my 4-year old. RH reversing and brake lights not working. Can anyone actually post photos or explain EXACTLY where the problem lies and WHICH wiring they have replaced?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I know what you are looking at but I mean that I want the whole loom the kit on Ebay is more like fitting new hinges, just bridging the part that moves. As CUE2 says I'm starting to use the boot less because of this issue.
I don't believe alfa dealers change the complete rear loom either...

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
I also have this problem now on my 4-year old. RH reversing and brake lights not working. Can anyone actually post photos or explain EXACTLY where the problem lies and WHICH wiring they have replaced?
open the boot.

on the top of the boot, you see 2 rubber tubes between the bootlid and the roof. inside those the wiring breaks

·
Registered
409 Posts
@ Paulwidnes1, maybe what I did will help you out.

So as I had a bit of spare time today I decided to tackle the job and see if I could get at any of the wiring. Having established that there was in fact power coming through wires to the reversing/fog/rear light, I was a bit stumped as to what the problem might be, as the lights would not work. Then it hit me, the earthing was not working. Therefore there must have been a break in the earth cable (the black one on the far right of the connection block). So, after getting the plastic covered assembly out from the top corner, I stripped the covering back to reaveal the wires and found that there were 3 severed black cables! WTF? One was the earth for the lighting block, one was the power for the rear demister (I had thought it was not working but wasn't sure), and one was a co-axial cable that seemed not to connect to anything except end in a blank connector behind the trim at the top of the hatch. I therefore found some spare electrical cable, a few connectors, and spliced the cables back together. All seems to be working now, so I am pleased with saving a hefty sum at the dealers. I might take the plunge and get a new wiring harness block to replace all of those wires over the summer.

On a side note, taking 3 hours to do this, turning the lights on and off, leaving them on for a while etc, drained my already weak battery! Luckily I have a new smart charger after our cold winter also drained the battery!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts